Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

What is this???

So ds has developed this whole new level of tantruming, or...whatever. He takes his stuffed elephant, and drops it on the ground. Looks down at it, then proceeds to cry as if it fell down a deep hole, never to be seen again. I pick it up, hand it to him, he gives it a huge hug, then drops it on the floor, only to have the cryfest resume. Lather, rinse, repeat. Ugh.

Please tell me this is his way of dealing with teething or something, because it's enough for me to want to pull my hair out.

Re: What is this???

• What happens if you don't pick it up?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Tess12Tess12 member
    I think he's testing you.  Instead of picking up the elephant, why don't you encourage him to pick it up himself?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry, but what that is is freaking hilarious. ?Maybe not now, for you, in the moment, but oh so funny to me, reading it. ?LOLOLOLOLOL ;)
  • wendyjwendyj member
    Wailing, gut-wrenching tears. I was changing his diaper, so I got fed up, set it next to him in the space between the changing pad and the wall, and kept changing his diaper. He's just been oddly whiney lately and random times, especially when he's the cause for his own torment.
  • Tash13Tash13 member
    I agree with Mrs.Donkey... I'm sorry for laughing at what is obviously super frustrating for you but it's hilarious!!  I'd do what PP said and encourage him to pick it up on his own.  DS does this when I put him down and go across the room.  Instead of going to him I call him over so he understands that he's capable of fulfilling his own wants instead of depending on me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LOL, that's pretty funny.  Sorry, probably not to you. :)  I don't know what to tell you... I'm going on 9 months now of DD throwing food from her highchair and I'm beyong being driven bonkers.  I think sometimes toddler behavior is just plain unexplainable.  But I dunno - maybe someone out there knows better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wendyjwendyj member

imageMrs.Donkey:
    I'm sorry, but what that is is freaking hilarious.  Maybe not now, for you, in the moment, but oh so funny to me, reading it.  LOLOLOLOLOL ;)

I did find it funny. The look on his face just after dropping it was priceless. Kind of like, "Hey, Elephant's on the floor!!! Now what??"

• It's the Let Me See How Many Times I Can Throw Something On The Floor And Have You Pick It Up game.  Ben plays this too at bedtime with his one bunny stuffed animal.  Except when he throws it on the floor, he looks at you all bewildered about what just happened and he says, "Oh!".  Which I think is code for, "Um, pick up my toy...pronto."
  • imagewendyj:
    Wailing, gut-wrenching tears. I was changing his diaper, so I got fed up, set it next to him in the space between the changing pad and the wall, and kept changing his diaper. He's just been oddly whiney lately and random times, especially when he's the cause for his own torment.

My DD does the same thing.  I really think it is the age.  BTW is your sons birthday 5/14?

• wendyjwendyj member
    imageGabbysMama:

imagewendyj:

My DD does the same thing.  I really think it is the age.  BTW is your sons birthday 5/14?

Yes!

• Tash13Tash13 member

Wendy: don't know if i've asked you this or not but where in upstate are you?

• wendyjwendyj member
    imageTash13:

Albany area

• DH and I also had a good chuckle about this - but trust me we are living with it too. ?DD likes to throw her Teddy bear out of the crib when she doesn't want to sleep (usually at nap time) and then cries her eyes out until we come pick him up and give him to her. ? It is hard b/c we don't want to play that game, but if we don't give it to her she wails and then is even less likely to sleep. ?
  • Tash13Tash13 member
    imagewendyj:
    imageTash13:

Albany area

Me too!  Well.. not for much longer since we're in the process of moving to long island but we're here for the time being. 

• "What is this?" you ask?

It's hilarious. That's what it is! I just read this to DH and he cracked up. I'm sure it's a phase that'll pass soon. GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"