Multiples
Options

I bet this is never asked here - Are my boys too big??

I know that is so out of place here where we're usually concerned with babies being too small, but I was at a carnival the other day and a woman came up to me )actually ran up to me once she saw the double stroller) and thankfully she wasnt horrible.  Anyways, it turns out her daughter has 5 mos old twins so she asked how old mine were.  I told her just about 8 wks and then she put this look on her face like"oh my".  She asks how big are they (as of a week ago J was 9 lbs 12.5 oz and B was 10lb).  She was shocked bc her 5 mos old grandsons were 14 lbs. 

I told her that I made it pretty far and they were born "big" for twins at 5.7 and 5.14 and she said that was exactly what her boys were born at. 

Are my boys really big for 8 wks?  I swear we only feed them when they're hungry and only as much as they can eat (as if you can make a newborn eat more than they want). 

TTC#1 since Feb 07 with PCOS and mild MFI
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart) Our first love and loss 7/2/07

3 cycles clomid TI = BFNs
3 cycles clomid Ovidrel IUI = BFNs
6/27/08 Surprise BFP = chemical pg
IVF#1 July 08 BFP @7dp3dt
TTC #3 since February 2010
FET Sept. and Oct. 2010=BFN's
IVF#2 June 2011=BFP

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I bet this is never asked here - Are my boys too big??

• Options
    Xan was almost 10lbs and the girls were just shy of 9lbs at 8 1/2 weeks.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options

LOL; I have asked the same question! ;)
    Your boys really aren't all that big for 8 weeks; have they had their 2-month appt yet? You can find out their percentiles then but I would guess they are around or maybe a little below the 50th. My boys were both a little over 12 lbs at 2 months. (They were 6.10 and 6.7 at birth at 37w6d.), which was around the 80th percentile. Also, they each gained about 3 lbs a month the first 3 months but then it slowed down--W gained just 7 oz and A gained 1 lb in the fourth month.

And actually you can overfeed a newborn but it doesn't sound like you are, so I wouldn't worry. We've asked our pedi at a couple different visits if our boys were too big (at almost 5 months they're both close to 17 lbs) but she says since we're not overfeeding them, not to worry about it; they're just big babies and they'll most likely slim down when they become mobile. If you go to www.starthealthystayhealthy.com they have a cool Growth Tracker tool where you can chart your babies' growth curves and see where they fall percentile-wise.

I'll also say ... you have to take other people's comments with a grain of salt (unless it's your pedi ;)). Babies are all different sizes and if she's only using her own grandkids as a frame of reference, she could definitely have a skewed view of what the normal range is. ;)

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I wouldnt worry about it at all.  All kids are different sizes.  Would she have told you if you had a 13 year old daughter that looked "too big?"  Ugh, people need to keep their opinions to themselves.

And just so you know where I am coming from, my sons were 8 lbs 11 oz and 8 lbs 15 oz at BIRTH so I am a little put off by people making big baby comments ;)  To me, they were small as my singleton was 10 lbs 14 oz at birth!

• Options

i think its wonderful!?

its funny, i get that all the time now. people ask me how old they are, i tell them and they say "wow, they are big for their age!" which, i guess they just give the illusion of big, because they are only in the 10-25 percentile for their ages. i always tell them "well, to me it's great, because they were only 3lb when they were born!"?

Ron and Nora married 6.3.06 21 cycles, 1 m/c, 4 rounds clomid, 1 round gonal f and 3 IUI anovulatory cycles, LPD
    Joey, Ronnie, and Audrey,
    my awesome IUI 30 week twins, and my surprise miracle Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LOVE my SAIF ladies :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers My Blog!
  • Options
    yours are fine :)  my son measured at 12 pounds at his 2 month and may daughter was 11 pounds.  They measured at 50% for weight at their check-up for 2 months.  Her grandkids are more on the daintier side.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Aubrey & Anthony
  • Options

sounds like good healthy weights to me!

My son has always been pretty huge.  He's 2 y/o and weighs 33lbs (maybe more now).... I met a woman the other day who's 4 y/o weighs just 38lbs... a 4lb difference for 2 years!  made me feel like DS must be huge, and while he is tall and solid- he's not fat by any means - he's just a good sturdy boy - and that's how I like it :)

• Options
    Granted he was a singleton, but KJ was almost 14lbs at 8 weeks.  He was 7 even at birth so in two months time he doubled.   I EBF him and the pedi said it was totally normal.  With twins, I would say that you are very lucky that they are growing so rapidly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    at my babies 2 month appointment (so just past 8 weeks) they were in the 14lb range; they were 8lbs each at birth.  That lady is nutso.
    R E A D S 5 D E A R S
  • Options

I don't think your boys are to big.  My boys were even bigger at 8 weeks.

My boys were born at 6 pounds 9 oz and 7 pounds 9 oz at birth, which when people ask me how much they weighted at birth I get they give me that glazed look.  And ask how I did that or some other crazy question.

They are now at 5 1/2 months 17 pounds.

I think people just always assume that twins are born small and stay small.

I ran into a lady today at Lowe's who gave birth to twins 2 weeks ago and she kept telling me how big my boys are.  Of course my boys are big - her babies are only 2 weeks old!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"