Breastfeeding
Options

Is it too late for me to EBF?

Long story short, I got some bad advice at the beginning and ended up supplementing formula. I SO want to EBF, but at this point it seems like it won't be possible because I didn't get a chance to build up and get a good supply.?

?

I know it's not the same as when he nurses, but when I pump I only get 1 to 1.5 oz TOTAL. I'm taking fenugreek and I BF every feeding before supplementing formula.

?

I tried yesterday to keep him on the breast as long as he wanted or was possible and after about 15 mins. each side he seemed angry.

?

Any advice??

Re: Is it too late for me to EBF?

• Options

I dont think its too late. I would try to give him some bm in a bottle so hes not starving and then try to put him to you. This way he wont be so angry and frustrated. Then afterwards if hes still hungry give him more in a bottle, and pump after. Try power pumping too. 10 mins on and off for about and hour. Or whatever you can. It helped me when my supply was faltering. It will take some hard work, and patience. Call your local LLL group--they are awesome suppotive women, also check out kellymom.com.

I would try to also nurse him while hes sleepy--ds always nurses better when sleepy. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think its too late either.  How much are you supplementing?  You could try gradually decreasing the amount of formula you give as supplement each time.  My memory might not be serving me well, but I think at 3 weeks I didn't pump much more than you.  Your supply is still regulating.  I second calling a LLL leader or a LC.  Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I almost exclusively pumped until Gavin was about 6 weeks old.  At the beginning of May I saw a lactation consultant again and every since I have been EBF.  I still usually pump once at night before bed to build up a supply.  I definitely don't think it's too late!
  • Options

you might try using a supplemental nursing system (SNS).  it's a thing that fits over your breast so while he gets formula it's like he's latched on and is stimulating your body to make more milk.  I've never used one so I hope that description is accurate, but that's the gist based on my understanding.

I'm sure it's not to late--your persistence will pay off!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't give up...especially if your heart is set on being EBF....did you know that adoptive moms can learn to lactate to BF their infants?? It is true!! It can be done...be patient...determined and get some strong support from DH & La Leche League (LLL) or a lactation consultant from your local hospital!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"