Pregnant after 35
Options

For those interested in donating the cord blood....

https://www.cryo-intl.com/

The above is one place my OBGYN recommended. I think you have until week 35 to fill out and return the paperwork. I am sure there are other places....just wanted to share the only one I've been exposed to so far for donating.

If you are interested in banking, there's alphacord (seems to be most cost effective), CBR and Viacord. Again, I am sure there are others but those are the only ones I know of.

Re: For those interested in donating the cord blood....

• Options
    With both of my girls we donated to the state run cord blood bank.  They promise if you need it in the first year it will be available.  After that if it's still there you can retrieve it and if not then as a donor you are at the top of the list to find another match within the bank.
  • Options
    No way- I didn't even know they had state run banks. I am off to check this out now. Thanks JG! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

you should check first with your OB and make sure your OB does the collection- some will not b/c it takes a lot of extra time/paperwork, etc.

If your OB will do it- ask them if there is a recommended bank in the area - many hospitals work with one bank only, etc.

You will want to fill out the paperwork well ahead of time so you get the kit in time - mine came THE DAY i was being induced with my son!! Whew!!!!

they won't accept from twins b/c they dont' get enough for it to be worth it so i can't donate this time :(

A friend of mine also was not able to donate b/c one of the covering docs for her practice does not do the collection- and since she did not have a scheduled delivery- they didn't want to wast the money sending her the kit in the off chance that the doc on call from the other practice ended up delivering her. Apparently the banks are doing pretty well now with donations and can be more picky (which is good news!).

• Options
    You know, my doctors never even talked to me about this and after reading the post below about state cord donation, I decided to research it too. The hospital I am delivering at does work with a particular bank, but I am too far along to donate!! Dang it!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info! I really need to start asking about this!
  • Options
    Here is St. Louis we have a local children's hospital that takes the donation. I just filled out the paperwork this week.   Definitely talk to your ob about a local option.
  • Options
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"