Indiana Babies
Options

cleaning question

What's your favorite method for cleaning tile or vinyl floors?

I just had a pregnancy-induced mini-meltdown because my whole adult life, I've never found a method that *actually* gets the floors clean without literally getting on my hands and knees and scrubbing square inch by square inch.

I have a Swiffer wet-jet, Swiffer wet (just the wet cloths), and sponge mop with scrubby brush head. NONE have ever been effective at getting the floor clean, evidenced by the fact that I can go over it with a Clorox wipe and the wipe will turn brown.

Poor DH today. He's dealing with a mess of hormones.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: cleaning question

• Options
    I always had to mop our tile twice before I felt even remotely satisfied. I don't have any miracle suggestions but I'm getting a steam mop for our new place. Hopefully I'll be satisfied with the results with that. We'll have all hard surface flooring.
  • Options
    I go around and spray the areas with a bleach cleaner that are the high traffic areas or under the boys chairs, wait a few minutes, and then mop the whole thing like normal.  I did have to go around the other day on my hands and knees with a scrub brush and a bucket of cleaner for the trim and the tile up against the trim.  I always feel that the mop pushes dirty water up against it and never can get that part clean enough.  Good Luck and it'll be okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I bought a Hoover Floormate and it cleaned pretty awesomely, although it took more elbow grease than I expected since you're pushing/pulling while the thing is sucking against the floor.

There is a clean water + cleaning solution reservoir, you push a button while pushing it to release the solution, then it sucks it back up and the dirty water goes into a separate reservoir. I think I wound up dumping the dirty water reservoir about 5 times (I have a lot of hard floor surface, but still!) 

I did not feel the need to clean again afterward, although I still probably could have gone around the trim with a sponge. (But my arms were tired!)

• Options

I'm thinking I may just suck it up and get a steam mop. I like the idea of not using chemicals, and I think a product like that would get down into the tiny little grooves in our vinyl floor.

I'm also going to look at the Floormate - thanks Tricia! We're about to buy a carpet cleaner, too, so it looks like the weekend of floor-cleaning appliances! :)

• Options
    lemen99lemen99 member
    We just use a mop, like once every 3 months. LOL. I'm a bad one to ask.
  • Options

Uhhhh ohhhhh someone's nesting! Wink

My stupid floor is never that clean either.  And it really never bothered me until now that I picture a little baby crawling around on it...now I'm going to have to start worrying about this too.

• Options
    imageshauna060708:

Uhhhh ohhhhh someone's nesting! Wink

My stupid floor is never that clean either.  And it really never bothered me until now that I picture a little baby crawling around on it...now I'm going to have to start worrying about this too.

Yup, and ditto. FWIW, Brian is totally nesting today too. He just took every last bit of everything out of the garage, cleaned the _shit out of it, and then re-organized everything. ::sigh::

We are "lucky" enough to have a floor that's just the right shade of variegated beige, so that no dirt EVER shows. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time - when I sweep with a broom, eleventy billion particles of salt, dirt, sand, dog hair, and grass that I never even saw end up in the dustpan.

• Options

The Shark steam mop does a great job with our tile.

I reccomend the Bissell carpet cleaner if you haven't gotten one already.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"