Cincinnati Babies

Biting While Nursing?

For about a week now, Allie has been biting me while nursing.  She got a tooth on Tuesday and it's really starting to hurt.  Those suckers are sharp!  I was almost in tears tonight nursing her and finally gave her a bottle because she wouldn't stop biting.  Did anyone else's child do this?  Was it just teething related or something that lasted longer?  Any suggestions on getting her to stop?
imageimage
Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Biting While Nursing?

• I am being serious when I say I popped him in the mouth one time and pulled him off and he never did it again!  My mom told me she did this with me also and I stopped.  Good luck!! 

Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Olivia luckily doesn't have teeth yet, but her new trick is to clamp down and jerk her head back. ?My MOH's son bit while nursing and she would take him off tell him no, tap him in the mouth and not let him nurse anymore for a few minutes. ?It worked.?
  • Loading the player...
  • I did the same thing with biting while nursing as I did with any other biting incidents....

I would pull her off the breast immediately when she does it the first time.. very firmly say "NO BITING" while pressing my finger against her mouth (not in a way that hurts - do it like you are making the "shhhhh" motion just with a teeny bit of pressure - nothing like a smack or anything - just so she knows specifically what you are upset about - what she did with her mouth) and set her on the floor in front of you for about a minute.  When time is up say "no bite again" and let her back on the breast if she wants.

She'll probably cry hysterically for the entire minute and will still want back on the breast... stick with it... even if she bites again 30 seconds later do the same thing... soon she *will* make the connection even though she's little.

It so sad when this happens... because you know it's just because she's got a new tooth and wants to explore how to use it... and it probably hurts so the biting feels good on her gums... but mommy is *no* chew toy!!

• imagehannah&ben:

I did the same thing with biting while nursing as I did with any other biting incidents....

I would pull her off the breast immediately when she does it the first time.. very firmly say "NO BITING" while pressing my finger against her mouth (not in a way that hurts - do it like you are making the "shhhhh" motion just with a teeny bit of pressure - nothing like a smack or anything - just so she knows specifically what you are upset about - what she did with her mouth) and set her on the floor in front of you for about a minute.  When time is up say "no bite again" and let her back on the breast if she wants.

She'll probably cry hysterically for the entire minute and will still want back on the breast... stick with it... even if she bites again 30 seconds later do the same thing... soon she *will* make the connection even though she's little.

It so sad when this happens... because you know it's just because she's got a new tooth and wants to explore how to use it... and it probably hurts so the biting feels good on her gums... but mommy is *no* chew toy!!

Maggie's been biting lately and I'm doing something similar. She sobs but I think it's working.   Sometimes I compliment this approach by involuntarily yelping when she bites, which shocks her also.Stick out tongue

image Ready to rumble.
  • JLPT830JLPT830 member
    I pushed his little face into my breast and said "no biting.  That hurts Mommy."  He would pull off, look at me stunned, then sob.  After a minute or so I would put him back on.  He only did this once or twice, so I'm guessing it did the trick.
    Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"