Preemies

Introduction

I feel a little cheeky posting on here since my 36 weeker is just barely a preemie, but we're having some scary times at the moment and I thought you girls might be a good shoulder to cry on.

My story:

We conceived using IVF after TTC for 2 1/2 years and suffering multiple m/cs.  I had placenta previa which was going to lead to a scheduled c/section at 37w3d, but on Sunday night I had contractions that led to a bleed that led to my son, Oliver, being born at 36w exactly weighing 7lbs. 4 oz.

He came out pink and screaming and roomed with us from day 1.  He seemed to be doing well and thriving, but since coming home yesterday he has tanked.  He's jaundiced and eating incredibly poorly.  We've got him under the lights at home now, but considering how difficult it is to get him to eat anything of substance I have a feeling we might be heading back into the hospital.  (I actually have a call into my doctor right this very moment.)  I had been intent on exclusive breastfeeding, but have had to make adjustments in my thinking these past 4 days.  First we started supplementing his feeds at the breast with pumped milk in a syringe.  This morning, when we realized how severe his jaundice is, I stopped BFing and began feeding him nothing but expressed breastmilk from a bottle.  (So much for my nipple confusion worries!)  Now I imagine we might be heading to formula territory to get over this hump, although I will still pump religiously and give him whatever milk I can.  Funny how priorities change from doing everything "right" to doing anything you can to get your baby healthy. 

I know that most of you girls are dealing with much more serious issues, but I just cannot tell you how scary it is to watch your baby go from robust and screaming to lethargic, yellow and weak. 

Thanks for welcoming me here - I know you'll be great support and I hope I can be of some comfort as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker
Amber
TTC since March '06
MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
My IF Blog: Between the Lines
My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama

Re: Introduction

• You are definitely welcome! It must be extremely difficult as is for any mommy regardless of how premature or full-term the baby is to see their baby having a tough time. The jaundice is very common and you should not be too concerned. The lights will definitely help him and he shall be fine. The eating that is something that some babies go through. When I was in the NICU with my son just a few wks ago there was a little boy that was born 9 lbs and he just would not eat. He was there in the NICU for a while because they were giving him some feed through a bottle (mom pumped breast milk for him) and the rest was given to him in a feeding tube. They had an occupational therapist working with him to help him learn to eat. Just be patient, positive and know that the hospital and doctors want the best for you little guy too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My 32 weeker is now 3.5!
  • Welcome to the board.  I'm sorry that you are having scary times with your baby.  My DS had jaundice, but he was in the NICU anyway because he was so early so I really don't have any advice.  It really sounds like you are doing everything you can to help your son.  Keep us updated and feel free to ask any questions or just vent when you need to.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Loading the player...
  • My nicu told me that if baby is BFing that it isn't uncommon for babies to get jaundiced around 10 days pp. The more they eat the more it gets pushed out of their system. I don't know if that helps any, but good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sure you must be scared.  Jaundice is actually very serious even though I think people too often kind of shrug it off since it happens so often.  I hope he gets better soon so you can feel better, too!  Feel free to post here and ask questions!
  • ijackijack member
    Welcome :) Hopefully he can get over this hump and be back to his old self in no time :) Don't worry about nipple confusion, a ton of us pumped for months and were able to successfully breast feed :)
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Congrats!  I love his name!  As far as the jaundice and troubles eating-the jaundice makes babies very tired and they don't want to eat.  DD was really jaundiced and it would take forever to get her to eat, but after about a day and a half under the lights, she came around. 

As far as bottle feeding, I pumped and bottle fed for the first 2 months. DD had a pacifier the day she was born.  She's never had any issues with nipple confusion and she nurses like a little champ.  I'm sure once your sweet little boy is feeling better, he'll do just fine breastfeeding! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AidgeAidge member
    Congrats to you! How scary for things to change just like that. ?Sam never had nipple confusion, and as soon as he could feed on his own (without the feeding tube), we would BF three times per day and bottle feed the other times until he was EBF, and he has never had nipple confusion. It's hard work, but so worth it... GL to you and I hope he's back to his healthy happy self soon!?
  • Welcome.  I call myself a mom of a 36 weeker too even though we are nto really sure.  I was dated with him being 37 weeks but his pedi upon seeing him said he was 36 at the most.  He is now a happy healthy 1 year old! 

DS had jaundice too in the NICU and it took 2 days under the bili lights to clear it up.  DS was on IV fluids only for a week, tube fed for a week, and then for the last 3 days in the NICU he was both breast and bottle fed.  We would bf first for 15 mins on 1 side, however long he would do it on the other, and then we'd follow up with a bottle (this was the NICU instructions).  When we got home we continued this for a week or so and then exclusively bfed.  I just said all this bc you could still try letting him bf and then follow with a bottle if you are worried.  You may also want to call a lactation consultant in addition to your doc.  They may have some tips on making sure Oliver is nursing well.  

Finally I wanted to say congrats and you'll be in my prayers.  You are def welcome here and I love your son's name as well (it is our next boy name as we are ttc now).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"