Northern California Babies
Options

2 year old sleeping ??

Ok its super late and i'm sure no one is online, but maybe in the next few days.

The last week or so Cam has been having a tough time sleeping. He is obessed with being covered with is big blanket. We started putting it in his crib when he was around 1 and lately he is starting to show an interest in it. When I go into his room after he is crying, crying, crying I ask him " how do you cover yourself with the blanket ? " and then I encourage him to try to cover himself with it and when he does I praise him. Otherwise he is saying " Mama big blanket help " etc etc...........

anyone else experience something like this ? Is he just playing me ?? Tonight apparently when I was out he cried and cried and when dh went in he was super upset and said " Booger, yuck, dirty " and he had a booger on his finger.............*sigh* 

Re: 2 year old sleeping ??

• Options

Yeah... I don't think it's "playing" you in the traditional sense, Alex did this a lot when he was Cam's age and just started being able to really communicate his needs more clearly.  He also does the "cover up" thing- he has 2 blankets and he's so funny about it, he has to tell us which one he wants,white or blue, and then he says "Cover you up" (love it ha ha).  We do cover him, kind of like tucking in, we don't make him do it himself. He also has about a million Thomas trains and he has to go through which ones he wants to take to bed (we let him have 2 in his crib). 

For us, it was kind of like his way of winding himself down at night and making his choices as part of the bedtime routine.  And we found if we slow down the routine and let his have some reasonable requests (like choosing the blanket, choosing which trains he wants) then he settles down more easily.  Of course sometimes he calls out for a different train or a different blanket, and we just have to say "No, this is what you have for tonight and and you can see the other trains in the morning."

He also went through a phase when he was first PT that he would call out "I have to go pp!"  Yeah... that was a fun one- you don't want to deny him a chance to go to the bathroom but he was totally playing us.  He stopped doing that now though... so basically, if it's not one thing, it's another.  

It's hard!  I hope Cam goes to sleep peacefully for you tonight and for the rest of his life!

The Boy Wonder 8/23/06 & The Famous Baby 6/1/10
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Wow the giving a choice or 2 at bedtime is a greatr idea!

As far as asking to be tucked in...I think you are doing it right by trying to teach him to do it himself...I have no idea but it feels like he isnt really playing you...I wonder if he gets disorientated at night and cant take care of himself...like maybe a night light would help??

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"