Blended Families

Trying to keep SD busy this summer!

I have been trying for almost two months now to set up a calendar of activities for SD this summer.  My fear is that she will just lay around the house and watch tv which DH and I don't think is a good thing.

The school sent a bunch of flyers home about all of these special camps they have this summer, but it is all half day (morning) stuff and the activities SD are interested in are during the weeks she is at BM's and BM wont want to take her and wont let us take her because it is her time.  I FINALLY got a flyer on a cheerleading camp the highschool cheerleaders are holding for the little cheerleaders in the district.  It is on a week that we have her (YAY!), so we are signing her up for that but it is only two hours a day for a week and they are in the evening. 

We are also setting up private swim lessons for SD, I tried group lessons but with the custody arrangement it wouldn't work and we can't/wont rely on BM taking her so we will do lessons twice a week EOW.

I also went onto the library's website and SD brought home a schedule of summer activities from them as well.  We sat down and put all the things she was interested in attending on our calendar.  THis ends up leaving us with Monday's and Wednesdays without a scheduled activity after the second week of summer vacation.  I told SD though that we need to keep those days open so that she can have friends come over to the house. 

Honestly, I would rather over schedule and not get to all of it than under schedule and have SD pout about how there isn't anything to do (we have a swimming pool too!) and her being bored!  Hey - we don't have the weekends planned yet!  hehe. 

How about you ladies.  What are you doing with the kids over the summer?

Re: Trying to keep SD busy this summer!

• FloF9FloF9 member

SS will be doing Young Marines every other Saturday, volunteering at the zoo the second and third week,  working with his dad the 4th week.

He will be applying for a job at the local pizza shops, ice cream shops, etc... Then in July he has 3 weeks at the military camp. 

• taagenttaagent member
    I hadn't thought about 4H.  I wonder if they have that kind of thing around here?!  Guess I need to Google!
  • Loading the player...
  • SS is going to a day camp for 2 weeks and we just signed him for breakdancing lessons once a week for 8 weeks.  He will miss a couple of classes because he will be with BM in another city, but we figured the pros outway the cons and the cost wasn't bad.  I would love to get him in another camp, but I don't think we can afford it.
    ectopic 03/15/07 @ 9weeks; m/c 9.17.07 @ 6weeks ; m/c 04.02.09 @ 11weeks 1st Round of Clomid - 12/07/09; BFP 01/01/10; nonviable 01/18/10 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • I have been bugging FI about summer camps for the littlest one. ?I am not so much worried about TV watching, but I am worried that their brains will rot.

My oldest bonus daughter is going to a spiffy "Great Books" sleepaway camp for a week, but the youngest has nothing planned. ?BM didn't have her do anything last summer either. ?I want her to keep her little mind engaged, so I found three different week long summer camps within 15 minutes of BM's house. ?

But BM has decided that the 6 year old doesn't need to do anything -- that their house is "just like a summer camp"! ?She even has her daughter spouting that line. ?I am convinced that BM is reluctant to have her do anything because that would involve independence and BM might have to lessen her death grip on her "baby".

Egads!?

• J&A2008J&A2008 member

What about having her friends over to play in your pool?  Kids get bored alone, and I'm sure there are other parents who would love for you to relieve them of their children for a few hours.

We are doing soccer, mostly just weekends.  We thought about doing baseball, too, but there is only so much running around with 3 kids that I am going to do.

They are both going to six weeks of summer school, just for 3 hours in the mornings.  In the afternoons we will be going to the community pool, where several of their friends will also have memberships.  We also have a zoo pass.

They're going to cub scout day camp in August, just for a week.  We are going on trips to see the grandparents.  We've also got a community calendar of outdoor concerts and kids activities.  We'll try to work those in.

And, there's always any park or playground.  They love to ride their bikes on the rail trail near our house.  We also just stocked up on super soakers so they can have water battles with their friends. 

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"