Stay at Home Moms
Options

Anyone feel kind of guilty as a SAHM?

I SAH and I LOVE it. ?I do a lot - housework, chores, errands, meals, and most importantly take care of DD - but I feel bad sometimes that my husband has to get up and go to work for 9 hours everyday. ?Even with all of the work and how tiring it can be around here, I could not choose a better way to spend my time. ?Anyone love being at home and feel bad that they get to do this all day? Any rational that will let me get rid of the guilt?

Re: Anyone feel kind of guilty as a SAHM?

• Options
    I know my H often misses us at work and comes home sad some days that he missed all the 'fun'.  That being said, he really loves his job and is very fulfilled by it.  As sad as he gets, I don't think he'd trade working for SAH.  Would your H?  Maybe this will make you feel less guilty.
  • Options
    saragussaragus member

Like EnglishMajor said, my DH knows he misses out on "fun," but we have had many talks where I've offered to find a job and he can SAH, and deep down he knows that isn't what he wants to do.  (Me, either, but I always offer.)  I also know that while my non-child duties might be technically easier than his (cleaning, shopping, keeping things in order versus high tech computer work and tense meetings with bosses), our life would NOT run smoothly without me. 

The bottom line is that our DD is thriving due to my fulltime attention and his fulltime financial support, so I really don't feel guilty.  But I understand your point of view.  I just feel lucky, I can't believe I get to do this all day!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

You DH is lucky that you have the time to do all of those errands, meals, housework, chores that you mentioned. If you were working out of the home full time, he would have to split them with you.

Just because you enjoy being at home doesn't mean you should feel guilty.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

When we were first making the?decision?for me to stay home I had a lot of guilt surrounding the idea.

For me, I had the hardest time knowing that for the first time since I was a teenager I wouldn't be?contributing?financially. But?luckily?we were able to work through it and now I'm okay. Here's what helped me the most:

My husband, his constant support and gratitude. He still makes note of how hard I work and is quick to say thank you (and I do the same for him).?

Money, we figured out that after child care and commute costs I'd only be making a few dollars an hour (public school teachers are so underpaid!). It just didn't make sense.

Factoring in how much I'm "worth" as a SAHM. By that I mean... if you were to hire someone to do all of the things you do (cooking, cleaning, childcare, laundry and so on) and then figuring exactly how much it would cost. It would have been well over triple my income as a teacher.?

Knowing that while DH would love to be here with us, he also really likes his job. ?He reminds me frequently that it isn't that bad to get up and go there every morning, because he enjoys it a lot of the time.?

I hope that helps! ?

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    Thanks you guys! ?Maybe part of my issue is exactly what you said. DH is relatively "domestic" and I know he would do a good job at SAH. ?He used to say he wanted to SAH and now compliments me and says he couldn't do it all day. ?I will hang on to that (that DH couldn't do it full time) and what saragus said, that life would not run smoothly without me. ?Thank you much for two great points. ?With a clean house and a sleeping baby, I am off to watch DVRed shows and drink a cup of coffee - this is what I am talking about! LOL
  • Options

I feel bad for anyone who would want to SAH but isn't able to.  But my DH is not one of those people.  He sees himself as the lucky one because he can't figure out why I like being the unemployed slacker that I am :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    And thanks to the other posters who replied while I was replying to the first two. ?Great points. ?Greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    i used to but now that dd is a toddler no way. it is SOOOO exhausting!!! to me being a sahm is 10x harder than any other job. plus i take care of everything else (cooking, cleaning, bills, etc etc.) so that only thing dh has to do is bring home the bacon!
  • Options
    saragussaragus member

imagesusanmosley:
    With a clean house and a sleeping baby, I am off to watch DVRed shows and drink a cup of coffee - this is what I am talking about! LOL

I think of this time as getting a break, like DH does with his lunch hour and his commute (alone time in the car listening to satellite radio, that sounds heavenly).

• Options

imageRubyEggi:
    i used to but now that dd is a toddler no way. it is SOOOO exhausting!!!

Ditto.  When DD was a baby, I seemed to have a lot of down time.  Even when I was BFing I could read a book or watch tv.  But now--no way.  She only naps for about an hour a day, so the rest of my day I am MOVING.  And everything I have to get done around the house takes 3x as long with her around.

Nah, I don't feel guilty.  Plus, DH works from home, so he's around plenty.  Sometimes I think HE'S the one who has it easy when he gets to run off to his home "office" (uh, crashed out on our bed) when DD is throwing a giant tantrum or just smeared peanut butter all over herself and the kitchen table.

• Options

The best way to alleviate guilt is to have more babies very close in age :)

(I would trade places with my husband in 2 seconds some days)?

• Options
    I love staying at home with my boys.  I must admit sometimes it's crazy and chaotic and I think I should get the first job I can find. LOL! But honestly I do feel guilty sometimes. I might be standing in the middle of the playground on a beautiful day watching my sons play and be thinking of what I am going to make them for lunch, and I take a step back and realize that I am very, very lucky. And then I feel guilty.  I know it won't be this way for long. They are growing so fast! I am trying to just enjoy it.
  • Options
    I do. I really want to go back to work but at the same time i dont i love being at home with DD all the time and now the house is ALWAYS clean which i love and i know DH loves as well but there are some days where im like id prob have firends if i went back to work or had stuff to do. some days i get so sick of being home . but DH has never made me feel bad about staying home
  • Options

Oh gosh, there are so many things that I LOVE about SAH fulltime and I feel so blessed to have had the last 3 years here at home... it's hard not to feel guilty from time-to-time.  ;)  

I think everyone has to deal with "mommy guilt" in their own ways, over time... you'll get there, I'm certain!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Options
    WilyRedWilyRed member
    I love it and feel guilty especially since DH doesn't like his job.  HOWEVER, I used to feel guilty when I worked for the first 2 years of Zachary's life, so I guess it evens out.  Feeling guilty is just part of being a mom.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No way! My DS (like someone else said) is thriving, my house is clean, errands get done, bills get paid..and my DH actually enjoys working . Plus he is also getting his Masters. He loves the time he does spend with us, but at the same time he says there is no way he could be a stay at home dad. He would crazy in one day! DH loves me being at home, DS loves me being at home,and I love me being at home. Everybody wins.
  • Options
    I do feel a little guilty because my DH works overtime so that I can stay at home. Our lives have been so much better since we made that decision though! I also feel guilty when I can tell people are a little jealous of my position. Really though...those are the same people who assume I just relax all day!
  • Options
    I love staying at home with the kids and wouldn't have it any other way! Sometimes I feel a bit bad that DH isn't able to be home and misses out on some of the 'fun' stuff...but then again, he also gets to get away when they are sick, crabby or have been screaming thier heads off all day!!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the replies. ?I LOVE almost every second of it - which is why I feel kind of guilty. ?I get to exactly what I would choose to do, while so many people have jobs they don't like or don't have a job and have the stress of that. ?I am so thankful, grateful, and lucky and shall just focus on that.
  • Options

i'm so thankful to be a SAHM and DH also is glad i can (just a less stressful life for all!).  DH likes working though (40 hours - no more, no less usually) and would never want to be a stay at home dad.

the only thing i feel guilty about is my degree i worked so hard for that i'm not using right now and hoping that if i do want to return to work later (Architecture) that they'll still want me!  plus i still have thousands of dollars in student loans.   :(

but it's worth it!  they're only little once, right?!!

• Options
    WilyRedWilyRed member
    imageaugust0605bride:

The best way to alleviate guilt is to have more babies very close in age :)

(I would trade places with my husband in 2 seconds some days) 

Ha ha agreed -- have more than one kid!  More than double the work.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"