D.C. Area Babies

Weaning from swaddle?

I wanted to get people's thoughts on when/how to wean from the swaddle. DD sleeps pretty well right now and we use the Miracle Blanket at night and a Swaddle Me for her morning nap. She can now reliably get out of both. She is rolling from belly to back and back to belly, but neither consistently, and so far, neither while swaddled. I've tried an experiment in which I leave her unswaddled after she gets herself out at night. As a result, she sleeps very poorly in her crib or not at all.

So, should I start weaning from the swaddle recognizing that there will be some rough times ahead (just as I started work!)? If so, does the gradual one arm at a time thing work okay? Or, should I just keep wrapping her when she gets out?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Weaning from swaddle?

• We went cold turkey since DS was getting into some precarious situations with the swaddle, like he would kick his legs out of the bottom and wiggle down so the swaddle was wrapped around his face.  We had some rough nights where he would often wake himself.  Now, he still moves and kicks, but he stays asleep while doing it.
  • I went cold turkey because the miracle blanket was ending up around his neck.  He was a tummy sleeper so I just put him down that way and he learned to sleep without the mb, but I put him in a sleep sack instead.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Loading the player...
  • We went cold turkey on the swaddles after they learned to roll over in their swaddles.  It was three days of misery, but after three days they resumed their sleeping patterns as if swaddles never existed. 
  • one of my friends just did this with their 5 months old and I think I'm going to have to try it soon...Warner is quite the escape artist!

what my friend did what for one week swaddled him with one arm out, then the next week did both arms out, but still wrapped the swaddle tight around his chest. Then took it away all together. She said that is was a rough few weeks, because he didn't sleep well, but now he doesn't need it at all. 

• We went cold turkey, too. When Lily was about 4 months old, she started busting out of it every night--multiple times--and waking herself up. So we just decided to start putting her in the sleep sack. It was a rough couple of MONTHS for us but she's finally gotten used to it.
    Photobucket
  • We stopped swaddling dd when she was about 6 weeks or so.  I just started leaving her arms out of it, and then a week or so later we just stopped doing it alltogether.  When it was still cold out she slept in a sleep sack.  She has always liked using her hands to self-soothe, and I didn't feel right about trapping them in her swaddle. 
  • We moved him into sleep sacks when he would get his arms out in his sleep but not wake up.  I think it was around 4-5 months.  He was also too long for the miracle blanket at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"