Georgia Babies

Should I say something (long)?

I have been going back and forth over something that happened at work the other night for the last 2 days, and I can't decide if I should say something to my boss or not.

As many of you know, I work in a very busy ER. You also know that I have started having BH contractions at work. I have discovered that a lot of times they are brought on by just having a full bladder, but now they are starting to be caused by pushing stretchers (especially with people on them, or if they are the ones that are hard to steer). I know a coworker of mine had problems with this same thing, because she asked me a couple weeks ago if it was happening to me. 

Anyway, I work 11a-11p, so I am split between the day-shift crew and the night-shift crew. The day people are very generous about not having me push anything, lift too much, etc. I rarely have to remind them that I'm not supposed to push things. Well, night shift is not so gracious. I know a lot of them don't know I'm pregnant b/c I was heavy before, and don't look too different. However, I mention it when I have to.

Wednesday night I was working as CPR nurse, which means when we are not running a stroke or code, I am the critical care float. Usually, this job entails taking up monitored patients for the other nurses. On day shift, they have no problem with me just watching their assignment while they take the patient, but apparently this was a problem with nights. The charge nurse Wed eve was (at least I felt) rude to me when I told her that I would take patients, but that transport would have to be called to push the stretchers. She basically threw new patients at me and told me that I would be getting this (very sick) patient settled by myself, and someone else would take the patient. I had even arranged with another nurse who wasn't busy to have her take the patient (who could have waited for transport)  and I would watch her patients for her so the critical care nurse could stay with the new patient. Apparently that's what ended up happening anyway, b/c I was just starting to get report on the patient, and I was getting ready to get help moving him to our bed, when the critical care nurse showed up. Then she rudely said to me, "Can you put him on the monitor, or are you not allowed to do that, too?"

Honestly, my feelings were hurt. I don't ask for help because I don't want  to work. I do it because it's safer for my baby, and for myself. Anyway, the ideal situation would have been to speak to the supervising nurse that evening about what happened, but that wasn't an option b/c he was working on the sick patient in critical care. Not to mention, he is like talking to a wall (I know, I've gone to him with other things). Our manager is very approachable, but I didn't know if it was worth mentioning to her. What do you think I should do? I don't want to piss anyone off, but I also don't want to be treated like I'm useless and in the way.

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)

Re: Should I say something (long)?

• imageJoelsGirl07:

Then she rudely said to me, "Can you put him on the monitor, or are you not allowed to do that, too?"

That was a charge nurse that siad this to you?  That was completely uncalled for coming from someone in a leadership role. 

I actually work in HR at a hospital and my advice would be to definitely speak to your manager about your concerns regarding your BH and that you are trying to still be a team player, but you rae just trying to be a little more cautious.  I would let her know that some staff have been very helpful, but you think it would help if all supervisors were made aware so you are not made to feel so guilty about it.  Believe me - the last think that manager wants is something happening to your baby while you are at work.  I would also document and tell her about the comment your charge nurse said to you.  And if you want to take it a step further (if your manager needs something more) you could have your Dr give you restrictions in writing that you can take back to your manager and hospital's employee health nurse.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lily  pie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would definitely say something. ? You're not being a baby and its not always going to be this way. ?Its a temporary thing and people have to be accommodating for the time being. ?You don't need the added stress.?

?

• Loading the player...
  • I would say something - someone in the medical field should understand why you shouldn't be doing some of these things. And she was rude, which is just uncalled for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That woman sounds like a real treat.  I would probably walk by and kick her in her shin...i mean what is she going to do you are pregnant! :)  Seriously though you have to do what is right for you and your baby.
  • imageAlison422:

my advice would be to definitely speak to your manager about your concerns regarding your BH and that you are trying to still be a team player, but you rae just trying to be a little more cautious.  I would let her know that some staff have been very helpful, but you think it would help if all supervisors were made aware so you are not made to feel so guilty about it.  

Perfect advice.  This is exactly what I would do.  That comment was totally out of line- I would be livid.

• If it was me, and this was the first incident, I would wait.  This person may have been having a bad day or been particularly stressed and behaved in a way that wasn't appropriate.  Not that it is an acceptable excuse, but I think it is something we can all relate too.  If the behavior repeats, then I would bring it up to your manager.

• Sounds like Allison gave you some great advice.  Don't feel bad about it, you're doing the right thing for your baby.  Good luck.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks, ladies. I feel better knowing I am not totally overreacting to this. I think I am going to do the wait-and-see, but when I have my appt next week I will definitely get a note about restrictions at work. They gave me one back at my 10 week appt, but I feel silly turning that one in, plus it is not very specific... it just says not to do strenuous activity, and how often I should rest (yea right). I am also going to look into changing the length of my days and maybe going for 4 10 hours, or 3 8's and only 1 12. It's starting to wear me down.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • As a fellow pregnant nurse, I totally feel your pain! It is so frustrating how folks don't understand that you have a baby to protect now and can't do every little self-sacrificing duty that us nurses normally do every day. I mean, we do strenuous, self exposing duties all the time....and I for one feel that when we are pregnant, we have to finally draw the line. Stick to your guns and dont do anything that you feel is too rough on you! And I would say something to miss smartie pants! She should have kept her snide comment to herself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't believe MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS are treating a pg woman this way, a coworker no less. I would for sure say something and take it as far up the ladder as you need to. It doesn't matter who you piss_off and frankly it sounds like a lot (of minopr stuff) would piss_off these nasty people. You are not trying to shirk your responsibilities so I would absolutely say something.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank you so much for making me feel better. I really love you ladies! It's true, you don't really realize how much of yourself you push aside as a nurse (let alone as a mom) until you can't do it anymore. Even simple things like bathroom breaks. I used to be able to go 8 hours, now it's about once an hour or so! Same for eating. It's nice to not feel so alone.
  • Yes, do something....God forbid something happens and you regret you didn't say anything.   Maybe that chick was having a bad day, but someone needs to tell her to stop with the innapropirate comments.  Sorry you are dealing with this.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"