Special Needs

Ever considered Chiropractics for child with Autism?

Maybe I'm way out on a limb somewhere, but it's because of how uncomfortable my poor little boy seems. 

He's got definite sensory issues. One thing he does *CONSTANTLY* is shrug his shoulders up&stiffens while he's doing it (PIP). This started about a month ago that we really started noticing. It could have been less apparant before that.  The OT we've been working with can't really figure it out, and says she's never really seen a child do this particular thing. But it does certainly seem as if he's experiencing discomfort (whether it's physical/sensory/emotional, I dont know). She's open to the thought that maybe it's a quirk, a stem, a habit, something sensory - but can't put her finger on it. 

I've thought about calling the Pediatrician...... maybe I'll do that too

But I got to thinking today - with all this Deep Pressure, and Crashing, and Sensory seeking, and Writing, and Propping etc..... maybe he just needs a good adjustment.  I mean, that could be the case for many kids, but specifically as it pertains to this, has anyone done anything similar? My mind started wandering and thinking about the potential that it could help other stuff too???? Experiences? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ever considered Chiropractics for child with Autism?

• Thanks for both responses. I wouldn't expect for Chiro to 'fix' any of the autism traits, etc.... It just seems that some of the body positions he gets himself into, and all the crashing..... maybe they're leading to things I don't know about that are uncomfortable. 

:) Auntie, I had to chuckle when I read what your DS said!

The OT was open to it as a stim, but this was only her 3rd week, so since she hasn't seen this exact thing before, she wanted to talk to a couple ladies in her practice. She does work mostly with Autism.

Thanks for the description out of the DSMIV, I had forgotten about that.

If you read this, Auntie, can you explain the major difference between 'Autism' and 'Aspergers' in plain language? There's so much literature out there.... it's not something I care to spend a lot of time on. I always get confused when people talk about not having 'language delays', I don't really know what that means.

• "She never had to baby-proof her house until his little brother came along. LOL, she thought he was just a well behaved child and that she was an excellent mother."

....... That's us!! Otherwise, thanks for the info!! 

• Loading the player...
  • aunti... loved it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"