Houston Babies
Options

Worst Mom Ever

So I know kiddos fall down.  It happens.  And C has done this before from a sitting position.  Today, he was standing and holding on to the top of his play gym (he looks like he's windsurfing) and right as I reached for something he hurled himself backward and smacked the back of his head on the wood floor. 

I feel horrible and am worrying myself sick.  Although he seems fine, I know head injuries can be hard to spot at first.  I have a call in for a nurse to call back to see what she says/changes to look for that would indicate something is wrong and for what do do. 

I just need words of wisdom from you experienced mom's.  I feel like such an idiot!

Re: Worst Mom Ever

• Options

I'm so sorry!  Accidents happen.  Most likely he is going to be just fine. 

My worst mommy moment is far far worse.  When my daughter was nine months old, I was walking down the stairs carrying her on one hip and a load of laundry in the other.  I missed a step and fell backwards on my back.  My daughter was crying hysterically and I thought that she had hit her head on a stair.  I talked to a nurse at the pedi's office and she told me to check for pupil dilation (I think).  Later that night she still didn't seem right so we went to the emergency care center.  It turns out she didn't hit her head on the stairs...she hit her leg.  That's right, I broke my daughter's leg!  Go me!  She was in a hot pink cast for a few weeks.  Talk about feeling awful! 

I hope your son (and you!) feel better soon!

• Options
    imageucalum93:

So I know kiddos fall down.  It happens.  And C has done this before from a sitting position.  Today, he was standing and holding on to the top of his play gym (he looks like he's windsurfing) and right as I reached for something he hurled himself backward and smacked the back of his head on the wood floor. 

I feel horrible and am worrying myself sick.  Although he seems fine, I know head injuries can be hard to spot at first.  I have a call in for a nurse to call back to see what she says/changes to look for that would indicate something is wrong and for what do do. 

I just need words of wisdom from you experienced mom's.  I feel like such an idiot!

M has hit her head on our wood floors more than I can remember.  Our heads are really hard!!

I think as long as he didn't lose consciousness and/or throw up, he'll be fine.  I hope you're ok too!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

um... truitt has had FOUR black eyes. four. so, if one bump on the head makes you the worst mom ever, i should be in jail. the truth is it's going to happen and it's going to happen again. i know 2 kids that had casts on broken bones by C's age and they both have wonderful moms.

since we have the same pedi, i can tell you what i was told: unless he blacks out for more than 5 seconds and throws up, there is nothing to worry about.

just be glad you got it over with and teh next 5million bumps won't seem so bad :D

• Options

This is exactly what I needed.  Thank you.

Rayskit, thanks for the info from Shuman.  The TCH nurse is having me sleep with him and wake him every four hours the next 2 nights just to be absolutely sure, but at least I will SLEEP during those hours now.  Ironic that as soon as he stops waking at night, I am now waking him :)  Ahh, the joys of parenthood!

• Options
    Reagan went through a period when she would throw herself backwards from sitting with force and smack her head on the wood floors. That was always fun but she's ok, I think. Wink
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think we all face this one, it's so hard!  I think and hope he'll be ok.  Amelia's first spill was at 6 months, she got out of her play yard and climbed up the stairs, I don't know how far she fell, but she fell hard.  She was just fine and tried to climb them again 5 minutes later, but I know that it scares the heck out of us as moms.  I'll be thinking of you two!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"