3rd Trimester

Why are some so anxious to go into labor before their due date?

I want the baby to stay in there as long as she needs to. I don't get all the natural induction, etc. going on 3 (or sometimes more) weeks before the due date? Unless, of  course, there is a medical reason that you need to have the baby early.

Re: Why are some so anxious to go into labor before their due date?

• seriously! Seeing girls right at 37 weeks getting mad because their baby hasnt been born yet just makes me mad.. your baby will come when your body is ready. bleh! pregnancy is meant to be 40 weeks for a reason! vent over.
  • Probably because of feeling uncomfortable. Every pregnancy is different and I know there are some women that come to a point where they can't even breath and they are in so much pain. It's easy to judge from the outside but until you have really been there you never know.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wont be induced unless I am 42+ weeks, but I am SO over being pregnant.  Full term is considered to be 37 weeks so if LO wants to come out now, I am not going to complain.  Granted I haven't had it as bad as others, but this pregnancy has totally sucked and I want to be done.

ETA: I just want to mention I haven't been trying anything to induce labor nor am I planning on it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageniracess27:
    Probably because of feeling uncomfortable. Every pregnancy is different and I know there are some women that come to a point where they can't even breath and they are in so much pain. It's easy to judge from the outside but until you have really been there you never know.

Well, I'm definitely there, so I know, and I still don't feel that way.

• I'm going to have to say probably because of being so uncomfortable. I'm being induced next Thur/Fri due to medical reasons but it's still at 39 weeks. They wanted to do it at 37wks with an amnio and while I was all excited about it then I have to say that now I am happy that the scheduling of the amnio didn't work out and I have to wait. I want her to be well cooked when she's born! lol
  • I have no idea!!  I agree with you.  I want baby to stay put as long as he wants to (and is healthy, of course).  (If I reach 41 weeks, though, then I'll start to talk the induction talk)  I feel like a gigantic uncomfortable whale, but I know I need to do the responsible thing and wait for baby to make his appearance on his time.

I think it's silly to try natural induction methods before 40 weeks.  The ones that work (castor oil and nipple stimulation) are painful, and usually won't work before baby's ready, so why rush things?  To end up with sore nipples and intestinal cramps w/ nothing to show for it?  Argh.

I'm all for sex/primrose oil/etc. to soften/ripen the cervix, but anything beyond that, pre-40 weeks, just seems counterproductive to me.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• AMEN!  We all know what it's like at the end of pregnancy.  We all know it's uncomfortable and we just want to meet our babies.  My OB said that most women get to 35 or 36 weeks and are pretty much just ready to be done.  BUT, he said that pregnancy last 40 weeks for a reason.  Unless medically necessary or you go into labor on your own, why would you try to do a natural induction prior to you EDD.  One, most docotrs/nurses/LCs will tell you that a baby born between 37 and 38 1/2 weeks has more problems eating and sucking than one born prior to or after that.  Two, natural labor inductions only work if your body is ready to go into labor, so you would probably go into labor on your own anyway.
  • imagein my life:

imageniracess27:
    Probably because of feeling uncomfortable. Every pregnancy is different and I know there are some women that come to a point where they can't even breath and they are in so much pain. It's easy to judge from the outside but until you have really been there you never know.

same here 

• Do I want my baby to cook as long as he needs to? ?Absolutely...but on the same hand my back is killing me, I have terrible sciatica, heartburn that is killer and constipation that makes me cry and the sooner that crap goes away the better...

PS...I would never try natural induction - I do want him to come when he is ready. ?But I wouldnt mind him coming earlier than he supposed to.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everyone is different I guess. I have been pretty lucky and haven't had too many problems with this pregnancy. But, that doesn't mean that I can't wait to have this little girl and be done with this whole pregnancy thing!?
  • I agree.  But yet I am only 31 weeks.  Still have a while to go and more to grow.  I plan on letting this baby stay in as long as she needs to even if I am over due.  But of course unless doctors tell me otherwise.  Everyone in my family is always 1-2 weeks late so I have already come to terms and realized I will probably be over due as well.

• I had not planned on being induced unless I went past my due date, but now with her size if the doctor says it is best then that is what we will do. After all he is the doctor!
  • I'm being induced early because of anxiety due to my history and to avoid the risk of another placental abruption. Not medical necessity (a lot of doctors automatically induce at 36-37 weeks in patients with history of abruption but it's not "standard practice"), but my OB is fine with it due to my history (last time I was pregnant I had an abruption at 23 weeks and one baby died during labor, the other died from prematurity once born). Has nothing to do with convenience or being uncomfortable or impatient, has to do with me not trusting my body and wanting the baby out as soon as it's safe (we're doing an amnio to test lung maturity first).
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • It never bothered me until this week when I was hospitalized for pre-term labor.  We thought our girls were going to be born on Wed and it was the scariest thing, because I just hit 31 weeks today.  They started the steroid injections on Tuesday night to develop their lungs.  Full-term for twins is 38 weeks and I would love to make it that far right now. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Everyone has different reasons, and as much as I b!tch and complain about how ready I am to have my baby, I never did any of that castor oil, and all that other stuff to get baby out at 37 weeks. 

But once I hit 39 weeks I've been anxious since I've been 2 cm since then, now I'm 3-4..... so it makes me even more impatient that the time is near yet so far.

• ladies, if you can make it to 37 weeks, you can sure as hell make it 3 more.
  • I think there's a difference between being anxious to go into labor and scheduling an induction.

I already uncomfortable in this pregnancy and it's just going to get worse (and hotter). By 37 weeks, I'm sure I'll be looking and hoping for signs of labor.

That being said, I would not schedule a voluntary induction and even though I may complain 24/7, I will remain pregnant as long as this baby needs me to be.

• My reasoning is kind of silly actually. I'm in a wedding 5 days after my EDD (I know, crazy right), and I really don't want to be preg there and worrying about going into labor at that time. Also the day after is my sister's graduation, (3 hr away) and if I'm still preg, I will not go... but I really want to go. So, I'm just kind of hoping he comes out on time:) But if not, oh well!
  • I agree with hisbabybear. All I want is for my little girl to be healthy so if that means going another two weeks, so be it. ?
  • imagehisbabybear:
    imagein my life:

imageniracess27:

same here 

And I agree with you guys, I plan on waiting until my baby decides he is ready to join us, however I have a friend that was fine her first 2 pregnancies however the third one was really hard on her and was in constant tears, it was easy for me to judge her but who really knows what she was feeling, she was obviously able to handle 2 previous pregnancies fine however that last one she just wanted the baby out so who knows. Everyone thinks differently and there is no problem with that.

• During her 1st pregnancy, SIL was induced about 10 days early due to swelling. She was in a catch-22 - if she exercised, the swelling would have gone down, but the swelling was so back that walking was excruciating. I'd like to think I'd have toughed it out until I went into labor, but, hey, I never walked in her shoes. (Not that she could even wear shoes...)

Her induction was unsuccessful. Cervix wouldn't soften or dilate, and she was vomiting from the meds. She ended up having a C-section, and was nauseated and shaking for hours after. AND, of course, she had a room full of visitors as soon as they allowed it. (Her second C-section was a breeze by comparison.)

No thanks.

• I agree - he can come whenever he's ready.  I do understand the anticipation and anxiety but realize there's not much I can or would want to do about (absent a medical indication).

Some seem to misunderstand that 40 weeks is simply the midpoint of a term pregnancy.  There's nothing magical about 40 weeks exactly, some will go sooner and others later.  A "due date" is really a "due month".

• I'm not! My MIL keeps saying it's going to be early but I really don't think so, nor do I want it to be. We have too much to do and I want him to be ready as well. If it happens, then ok, but I'm not pushing anything. I'm miserable, for sure, but again, not in a big hurry. This is it..
    *Meg* Our little family imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehisbabybear:
    ladies, if you can make it to 37 weeks, you can sure as hell make it 3 more.

OMG This absolutely. 

I'm absolutely miserable, my back hurts, my feet are like tree trunks, but good lord, those threads are ridiculous.

• The longer he stays in, the longer I have to prepare myself. Smile
  • imagehisbabybear:
    ladies, if you can make it to 37 weeks, you can sure as hell make it 3 more.

Yes I have to agree. This is what I keep telling myself. If it wasn't for medical reasons i'd be going over 40 weeks unless LO came on her own. At my office they do not induce until 42 weeks unless it's for medical reasons.

• I want my baby here as much as the next person but I don't want her here until she is ready. They way I look at it is it gives me a little more "me" time to do the things I want to do before she gets here.  The summer is coming up and there are so many things I want to do that I don't know if I would take a newborn too.  Every year is the annual police picnic at the amusement park here and since my dad/uncle and pap are cops we dont' miss it, especially after a tragedy we had here a few months ago involving the 3 fallen officers!  My due date is July 11th and the picnic is July 13th and I really would like her to stay put until afterwards.  I am prob the only one that says sure stay in there past the due date!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I want LO to stay in as long as possible. However, I have had a lot of trouble with my asthma during the last month. These problems are raising some concerns as he continues to grow. So if I have to be induced early, so be it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm not saying I want to be induced...but would love it if he came before my due date.  I'm not too uncomfortable and I haven't had a hard pregnancy at all...but I am just ready like everyone else. 

I think it is a personal preference...also, the Dr's will not induce you if the baby is not ready.  Not to mention that some babies are ready but the mother's body won't go into labor.  When the Dr says it's time to induce...then I'm all for it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • UGHHHHH...then ignore their posts.  If I see one more post judging the choices of other women and their inductions, c-sections, etc....I'm going to bang my head on my computer.
  • I've been struggling to make it to 36 weeks. I was told I could be delivered anytime at 25 weeks because of complications. My BP and other complications have made it dangerous for me to go 40. The doctor said 36 would be OK and call me selfish but I'd like to be alive and healthy enough after she is born to get to enjoy her. Pregnancy has been hard on my heart and my liver, kidneys and pancreas. We're praying they hold out the 5 more weeks.
    mr & mrs || 11.18.06
    DD born 07.06.09 || DS born 01.24.11 || Bean 3.0 due 11.16.12
  • imageSAMANTHAGP:

I think there's a difference between being anxious to go into labor and scheduling an induction.

That being said, I would not schedule a voluntary induction and even though I may complain 24/7, I will remain pregnant as long as this baby needs me to be.

This!  Yes I am uncomfortable, yes I want the baby to come out, BUT I want him/her to come out when he or she is ready.  IMHO most ladies are alot of talk.   We just want to be done and we all know that it's going to be a while longer before that happens.   What annoys me is when ppl (AHEM my cousin) get their membranes stripped at 36wks for NO REASON other than they want to have their baby.  I want my LO healthy thanks!

• Good for you, I am glad you are content--I am miserable, I have 2 other small children I have to take care of full-time (who I pick up, feed, change diapers, clean up after & it's physically exhausting) & I am ready...A due date is approximate anyway, so give or take a week or 2--some people rather get on with life...I am anxious to move on to the newborn phase, I am sooo over being pregnant.  And this is my 3rd pregnancy & I can tell you from experience we are NOT all in the same level discomfort/pain/etc at all....what you may think is bad, may not touch on the level of pain someone else is having.  So stop w/ the judging...I was clueless on my first pregnancy--I am sure I thought it was horrible but hindsight it was nothing compared to constant sciatica I had w/ #2, same w/ my 2nd before I had to care for 2 other kids while having constant pain & contractions everytime you stood up...you are clueless on what other people are feeling.  I am sure there are people out there much more miserable than me--they can do whatever the hell they feel neccessary.
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
  • PeskyPesky member
    I'm hoping for 38 wks myself but not so anxious as to will the kid out before he is ready.  By 38 wks, given his growth so far, he'll already outweigh DD's birthweight at 40wks, odds are great he's totally fine and able to do well outside the womb and quite selfishly, it gives a little more spacing than 5 days between the kids' birthdays.  But nothing to make me start trying every natural induction technique known to man.  That's kind of silly.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I have to say that I am in the group of women that am gonna want this baby to come early. But this is due to my past history. I am still high risk this pregnancy due to cervical shortening. But my daughter was born at 35 weeks naturally at 6 lbs 5 oz. I can not imagine having made it to 40 weeks and how big she would have been. This baby is already measuring big by u/s as I get one every week or two. I am already having pain with this one, last night I was in so much pain that I was crying. My back was killing me and then my stomach started hurting. Like cramps.

I can understand why some women would use the more natural methods at 37 weeks. Such as primrose oil and sex but using castor oil in my mind is not right. Some doctors will now tell you that the castor oil is not good for you because it increases the chance of your baby having his first stool in utero.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"