D.C. Area Babies

Teething and refusal to eat

ugh, I'm so worn out on this.  The ped said as long as he gets 24 oz. of fluid in him not to worry, but I know he won't even eat that much today (i had to feed him late last night, when I normally wouldn't, just to try to get more in him).  Is it possible for them to get dehydrated from not eating/drinking enough?  I can see the teeth coming in so I really really hope that the pain stops soon so he can go back to normal.

Re: Teething and refusal to eat

• When DS was teething, I tried to give him lots of small bottles instead of fewer big bottles.  That seemed to work well, because he didnt' have to spend as much time sucking per bottle.  We also tried to distract him with toys, and even let him watch tv while eating (despite our original plan to not allow tv until he was 2). 

Just keep an eye out for dehydration signs and keep pushing the liquids--even in small doses.  One of the first will be wrinkly/cracked lips.  The fontanelle will sink somewhat too.

• Thanks for the tip about the lips!

Even smaller, more frequent bottles isn't going as well as it first was a couple of days ago.   Fortunately, he is mostly willing to still eat some solids, that that's helping.

• Loading the player...
  • have you tried water in a sippy cup?
  • Oh!  I forgot!  When it got really bad and DS wouldn't drink or eat anything (you're lucky that you can get solids in), I resorted to just giving him formula from a regular cup.  He thought that drinking from a cup was really cool, so he took more in than he would from a bottle.  It still wasn't much, but it helped!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"