North Carolina Babies
Options

I need BF help, big time, please?

It has all been going wonderfully. ?I have enough milk to feed a small army, he latches really well and eats like a champ, but he is spitting up after every feeding! ?Not just a little either, this last time he was in the middle of eating and spit up all over my stomach and his face and chest, it was so much!! ?I am thinking of calling the lactation consultant, but do you guys have any advice? ?I think I do have an over supply combined with a fast flow and I have read up on that and tried some of the recommendations from kellymom like sitting him up more to feed, taking him off and catching some of the milk at the beginning, but nothing is working and he is so unhappy. ?He also spits up and then wants to eat more, I don't know if I should keep giving it to him or stop. ?

Sorry if this is jumbled, he is screaming right now and I am feeling so guilty like it must be something I am eating or I don't know, my fault somehow :(?

My sweet boy :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I need BF help, big time, please?

• Options

Hopefully others will have some more helpful advice for you.  I didn't have this problem, but I think I've heard of pumping off a bit of the excess before latching him?  The good news is that soon your body should regulate better to his demand, and your over production should go down.  Also, some spitting up after each meal is still normal at his age.  If the spitting doesn't seem to bother him, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The valve at the top of their stomach is still so weak, it just can't hold food down very well.

Don't let the mom guilt get you though - you are doing a great job!  It's not your fault he is crying.  Bf'ing is really hard at first - for mom and for baby.  It is a learning process for you both.  Hang in there!! :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like oversupply and fast flow problem to me too. ?Yep, I'd call the LC and see what she says. ?I'm not much help with suggestions b/c I never had these issues (we had other issues) but you might want to post over on the BFing board too if you haven't--I know there are several ladies over there who have dealt with oversupply and fast flow. ?Sorry I'm not much help! ?But know that this isn't your fault and you are a great mommy--hang in there!!
    Kim

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not an expert, so take my advice w/ a grain of salt. DS spit up a lot too at first. Thankfully, now it's only every once in awhile. However, my Dr. and my sister (who's in the medical field) said it was pretty much normal. They are still developing and haven't quite mastered how to keep there food down all the time. Make sure he isn't running a temperature, if he is, then you need to call the Dr. Also, as long as he's keeping his weight up, then he's fine. A few things I did to "help" him (I'm not sure they really helped) was to sit him up more to eat. I had a fast flow too at first. Also, I would burp him in the middle of his feeding. As long as he wanted to eat, I let him eat. I also noticed that when he would spit up, the time between his meals were shorter. I don't think his spitting up has anything to do with your eating habits. However, he may not like the milk if you are eating "strong" foods such as onions, garlic, caffeinne, lettuce, cabbage, beans, etc. I hope things get better for you soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You might want to talk to the pedi about reflux too...just a thought. ?

As for the fast flow issue...I had an LC tell me to reclince back while nursing so that gravity was working against the baby, that way the milk wouldn't pour out quite as fast.?

• Options

I agree with some of the PP.  I really think it's normal for a baby to spit up (even a lot) in the beginning.  I know it seems like he's spitting up a ton, but it always seems like more than it actually is. 

I think calling an LC is a good idea because they can really boost your confidence.  It'd be really good if you could work with someone outside of an office setting so that you could possibly do several nursing sessions over a few hours and allow the LC to witness what is happening. 

I hope that you are feeling REALLY proud of the milk supply and latch that you have!  You should!  You are doing wonderfully.  Your supply and flow will even out some and he will also learn to nurse faster as he gets older, so these problems will work themselves out over time.  In the meantime, an LC can probably offer really great advice to you.  GL!

• Options

Thank you all, you guys know how to make a girl feel better :)

?He is actually napping now so I am calmer, haha. ?He is so fussy normally, but I can usually soothe him. ?After spitting up he just gets so upset though.

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Holly spit up after pretty much every feeding at first (when I was nursing, and with bottle/formula feedings). When we'd tell the Dr about it, he didn't seem especially concerned as long as she was gaining weight. As frustrating as his responses were sometimes---"she's a baby, spitting up is normal" and "1 in 4 babies spit up after every feeding"--I now realize that it was true! It was so frustrating though (and messy!) We did end up starting her on Zantac for reflux a little later, and she's been on that for a couple of months. It's made a world of difference (though I'm sure it's partly due to her getting older). I definitely did not have an over supply though, so asking your LC about it would probably be a good idea. GL!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"