Baby Showers
Options

How many is to many?

I told my friend I would throw a baby shower for her. Yesterday I was asking how many people she might have to invite... (20? 15? Maybe a few more???)

She said she has anywhere from 60 to 75 people....Is this a lot? I have thrown a number of showers before and have never had this many people on the guest list. Just wondering if my reaction of "Holy Cow, really" was out of line. (just kidding about the reaction.....that was what I said to myself...

Re: How many is to many?

• Options

That's probably how many we're having at our shower. Combining two families of women has been averaging around 30 people per side, plus friends.

If you're the only person throwing the shower, then you probably should invite all those people. If someone in the family is doing something, then maybe you could invite the other side or just friends?

If you're not able to accomodate that many people, then be honest with her. I know if I had to make a smaller list I could have done it without a problem.

• Options
    Good heavens, that's as many guests as I had at my wedding! You are under NO obligation to host such an enormous event.  Tell her you can accommodate X number of people, and ask her to get her list to you shortly.  Done.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto Roxy- thats a LOT of people.   And it does NOT fall to YOU to have a huge event.  That could end up being a huge expense and it does NOT NOT NOT fall to you to "have" to host that many people.

You can absolutely tell her "I can only afford to throw a shower for ___ people".  She has a problem w/ that?  Thta's on her.  Absolutely NOT on you.

A shower is a GIFT and people do not " have" to be invited to a shower for her.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Wow, that's a lot. We only invited about 25 to mine and based on the RSVP's my mom said we should expect about 20. As a hostess, I don't think I would be able to afford to feed 75 people. That's pretty extreme, IMO.

Is there anyone else who you think may offer to help co-host? I don't know what I'd do in this situation other than letting her know that it's a bit much and she may need to cut the list down a bit.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • Options

I've done showers for 40- 50 people. I come from a big family. Maybe you should ask her how many she expects to realistically come? Sometimes people throw out a big net of invites expecting a certain amount not to show up.

But if she does expect that many to show up and that is beyond your budget make sure you say something.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    It's definitely on the higher side. Ditto PPs who suggest you ask her how many she anticipates would actually attend from a list that big. Let her know how you feel and where you plan to hold it (for example, if you're having it at your home, you can mention you only have space for about 25 people.) It's totally your call if you don't want to pay and plan for such a large party.
  • Options

I went thru this just a while ago as a hostess.

Here's how I suggest you handle it.

This is a good friend, right?

Be honest with her.  Tell her that you had in mind the kind of shower you wanted to host for her and you  can afford to throw her that nice shower for about 20 people. 

Tell her you didn't picture throwing such a large shower when you offered to host.  You had something else really nice in mind that you wanted to do for her.

Is there anyone else who could host another shower to split the head count?

You could also add that if this is what she really wants you can  try to do it for but it would have to be at a free park, minimal decorations, and minimal food.

Your finances as hostess deserve to be considered.

Be frank with her.  It may be an easier conversation than you anticipate.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Options

For my "big" (family and friends) shower we sent out about 60 invites but I KNEW that about 20 of them were "courtesy" invites... For example, my MIL wanted to invite her sisters and mother even though they live far away and won't come, my mom wanted to invite her SIL who is very far away, etc.  I invited a few very close friends who I would LOVE to have there but who probably wouldn't fly in for it.  In that core group of friends we always invite (include) each other on our invites for showers and birthday parties but rarely can make it work.

So I would ask her if she is actually sending 60-75 invites out with the hopes that all of them turn up or if some of them are just courtesy invites for people who she (or her mom/MIL) wants to feel included but who wouldn't show up.

If she really expects that many people I would definitely think it would be reasonable for you to request her to scale back.  Maybe you could host the "friends" shower and her sister/SIL could host a "family" shower to break it up a bit.

• Options

I am definately on your level with regard to the number of guests. However, when I helped my high school gf's mother plan the baby shower - - - I had no idea what I was in store for.

I'd say... that the party lasted btwn 4-5 hrs with anywhere btwn 175-250+ people that came in and out during that time. I mean, she had family from MA that flew down, family from VA drove up, some could only stay a few minutes but I'd say 100 or more where there for the WHOLE THING.

So - baby showers and attendence - definately a family-by-family sort of thing. I do agree with you though, hosting a party for upward of 75 is pretty nuts. I sure was glad I got to leave my gf's mother's house post-party. I couldn't imagine cleaning up all that mess!

• Options
    I'm sorry but that seems like way to many guests to me. My husband and myself both have very large families and I still could not imagine where 60-75 people could come from mostly family being invited. Unless she's having a co-ed baby shower, she probably should limit the number of people she's inviting to around 30 or so. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    I hate to say it but I have about 65 on my list to invite. ?I do also want to say that my DH and I are going to contribute money for my shower. ?I do not think it is fair for my hostesses to pay that much. ?My DH is from a very large family and since we had a very small wedding his family really wants to be a part of the baby shower.
  • Options
    That is a lot of people. If you can't handle that amount you should tell her how many you can handle. If she doesn't like it then she should figure it out on her own. As the hostess you are incontrol of the numbers you want to invite. It is your party that you are throwing for her. I am having two showers because of the numbers and distance. My friend that I knew for along time is throwing me a shower back where I use to live for my family from down there and friends. My sister in law is thowing me a shower for FI's family and friends for where I live now. That made the numbers easier for both hostess. :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"