Stay at Home Moms

tutor.com hiring

In case anyone is interested... 

I know that people look for wah jobs now and then.  I have been with tutor.com for almost 2 years.  We were told today that they will be hiring more tutors in upper level math, chemistry, physics, and essay writing (with a prefernce for resume helpers).  If you are interested in more information or about my experience with the company, please let me know.  And if you plan to apply, please let me know as I do get referral bonuses.

No teaching required - I get asked that a lot.

Re: tutor.com hiring

• Ohh yes! What kind of tutoring are you doing?  Do you mind sharing how much you get to WAH and what compensation is?
  • It's all online, I specifically do algebra and physics.  I get $11.50/hr when in session, all tutors get $5.50/hr if you are scheduled with no students (yet to happen for more than 5 consecutive minutes this year).  You get a 1099, so you are responsible for all taxes, etc.  If you want more information you can email me at teach2183 @ yahoo.com.
  • Loading the player...
  • aspadeaspade member
    I know it's online and maybe convenient for SAHMs, but that money is terrible!  I can get $90 an hour for live tutoring, and doing things like grading SAT essays pays lots more than $11 an hour.  Eeek.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageaspade:
    I know it's online and maybe convenient for SAHMs, but that money is terrible!  I can get $90 an hour for live tutoring, and doing things like grading SAT essays pays lots more than $11 an hour.  Eeek.

This is a lot more flexible and doesn't require you to leave the house.  Don't you feel like you're ripping people off at $90/hr for tutoring?!  I'm planning to do start back up w/ live tutoring this fall, but when DD was tiny and ate every 1.5-2hrs, that wasn't feasible.  I tutored 2wks pp while she was nursing or sleeping, you can't do that in person.

• aspadeaspade member

No, I don't feel like I'm ripping people off at $90 an hour.  In NYC I made $125.  My expertise, experience, and knowledge are worth that.  For people who can't quite afford it, but who will need a lot of hours, I'm flexible.  I know a guy who tutors math for a living this way.  We shouldn't shortchange ourselves!

Rates also differ geographically--in the Detroit area, ten years ago, the going rate was more like $35, but hey, it's much cheaper to live there than in CA.  Perhaps that's why it sounds so steep to you?

And I agree: it's flexible for SAHMs to do online tutoring.  You can also teach online if you're credentialed, which also pays decently, for home schooled kids and kids in gifted enrichment programs.  I'm thinking of doing the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth stuff at some point; you stay in email contact with your students and give them written feedback (and IM feedback) on their writing.  That's also as flexible, but pays much, much better.

• Thanks for the information I am going to look into them.

Where can you grade SAT essays?

• aspadeaspade member
    I think you apply directly on the College Board website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"