Orange County Babies
Options

Sick baby questions

Hey everyone,

DD is sick with a cold that I gave her.  :-(  Anyway, her coughing and sneezing and congestion is just terrible, and she is having trouble sleeping because of it too.

I am going to stop at the store on the way home to take a look at what's available, but can you/do you medicate a cold for a child this young (~7 months)?  Or should I just get one of those humidifiers with the Vicks Vaporub stuff?  Do those even work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Sick baby questions

• Options
    I haven't treated the symptoms of a cold in DD except with this homeopathic med from Hyland's...forgot the name of it. Something for sniffles, I believe.  Not sure how well that worked, if at all though. If a fever, then we've done the Children's tylenol/ibuprofen thing.  We also use the humidifier for the coughing.  Other than adequate fluids and rest, our ped has always said there wasn't much we could give, unfortunately.  GL!
  • Options

Poor thing! I wouldnt use any medications except for baby tylenol.  The couple times Holland has had a cold we gave her the tylenol before bed, aspirated her nose a lot, and used the humidifier. I also bought these Vicks plug-ins that have the vaporub included.  They work really well.  Long, warm baths help too.  I usually run the hot water for a while before I put her in the bath so the bathroom is steamy. 

Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh no, hope she feels better quickly & doesn't pass it back to you again...D hasn't been sick but did have the sniffles at one point and I gave him a tiny bit of children's benadryl allergy to "dry him out". Hope this passes quickly!
  • Options
    i wouldn't use any meds either-including the vicks. ?ryan has had 2 colds and each time i just used a humidifier, boogie wipes(they have saline solution in them) and only gave him tylenol if he was running a fever. ?hope she is feeling better soon!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  She hasn't had a fever since Sunday, thank goodness.  I'm going to stop on the way home and buy a humidifier for her room, hopefully that will help.
  • Options
    No meds.  Get a cool mist humidifier, they sell the ones where you can put a vapar pad.  ALso, get saline drops and suction her nose.  That is all you can really do at this age.  I usually have the humidifier running an hour or so before bed with the door closed intheir rooms and then hopefully they sleep.  HTH.  I hope she feels better asap
  • Options

DD had a cold recently too. She couldnt sleep or eat. It was so sad. Pedi actually said i could give her dimatapp (for kids) if necessary. He based the quantity on her weight. It ended up being 1/2 tsp. It helped her sleep by unplugging her nose.

What did your pedi say?

• Options
    imageLuckiest13:

DD had a cold recently too. She couldnt sleep or eat. It was so sad. Pedi actually said i could give her dimatapp (for kids) if necessary. He based the quantity on her weight. It ended up being 1/2 tsp. It helped her sleep by unplugging her nose.

What did your pedi say?

I was a dummy and didn't call until after they were closed.  And baby line won't give advice about medications.  I'll call the pedi again in the morning.

• Options
    I know I am late on this but my pedi says no medicine except tylenol and use saline. I use the saline spray(different than the drops) its made especially for children ( a smaller nozel I guess), and suction. He said it's important to clean all that out of their little noses.  My son hates it btw but I know it's going to help.  GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"