South Florida Babies

annoying work comments

There is this (much, much older) male attorney at my office that is constantly making these backhanded comments to me about my pregnancy. When he first found out, he congratulated me and said something along the lines of, "So, what are you going to do about finals and the bar?" (in a tone that clearly meant to say, "Wow, you are screwed"). So I smiled and very politely said that I have every intention of doing great on my finals and the bar and that being pregnant doesn't change any of that.

Since then, he's made a few other similar comments. Today he saw me for the first time since my graduation, so he congratulated me and then AGAIN asked me what I was planning to do about the bar. So I said, "I'm planning to take it in July. I actually started my bar review course last week." And he arched his eyebrows and he's like..."Oh...but how are you feeling? You know, because you're pregnant? Will you be able to study? How will you get to Tampa?" YES. OF COURSE I WILL BE ABLE TO STUDY. I'M PREGNANT, NOT STUPID. I WILL DRIVE TO TAMPA BECAUSE WOMEN WHO ARE 20-SOMETHING WEEKS PREGNANT ARE ALLOWED TO DRIVE IN CARS FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES.

Mind you, this is the same man who told me within the first 10 minutes of meeting him that his wife got pregnant when he was getting ready to start law school and that they considered abortion so that it wouldn't get in the way of him studying. But don't worry, because he then assured me that they made the right decision to keep the baby because that daughter of his is now a circuit court judge. Indifferent

I know it shouldn't bother me because obviously this man is a dinosaur who thinks all pregnant women should be at home, barefoot, but it takes so much willpower to not give him a really rude, smart-ass response when he makes these comments to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: annoying work comments

• Wow Tongue Tied what an interesting person to work with (coming from someone that worked in law firms for the last two years you really find some winners) lol  
  • oppps I meant 10...my bad
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't get it- why wouldn't you take the exam? So what if your pregnant? You've got a baby growing in your belly, not your head! This isn't going to affect anything you know. The man is dumb.
  • We are on the same boat with you, except its my hubbs taking the Bar but I feel that these Babies coming our way are just more motivation than anything. You are going to kill that exam. My hubby will be in Tampa with you :)
  • imagechristysec:
    We are on the same boat with you, except its my hubbs taking the Bar but I feel that these Babies coming our way are just more motivation than anything. You are going to kill that exam. My hubby will be in Tampa with you :)

Yes, exactly! It's definitely more of a motivation than anything else. I know that I need to study my booty off so that I can pass and not have to re-take it in February. I refuse to spend the first few months of my baby's life studying to take that stupid exam again!

Is your husband doing a bar review course? I'm doing BarBri at UM. Maybe I will cross paths with him! :)

This man is just a total ass and has very old-fashioned notions of what pregnant women are capable of!

• what an a@@! Yeah, I know it's annoying, but like you said he's a dinosaur with no sense, so try not to let it get to you. Heck, I'm planning on flying to Connecticut to take my comprehensive final for my clinical nutrition master's! I had the option of taking it in April, but I miss falls in New England. You are perfectly capable of doing anything, and you're gonna do great.
  • He's taking the BarBri course at FIU (which starts Monday, I think) but his friend Manny is at the UM class. He started the pre course with those videos this week but today he decided he would listen to the same course online as opposed to sitting in class watching the video.

It is such an exciting time for you guys...All your hard work will very soon pay off!

• Wow... some comments.... I would have a hard time biting my tongue after a while.  I hate when people assume that just because you are pregnant doesn't mean you can do what "normal" people do.  Sure you're not off riding roller coasters and going sky diving, but it's a test to study for and a drive. Hopefully he won't make too many more comments (although I have a feeling he'll be the kind that tells you you are huge and are there two babies in there) 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • LOL exactly Rachel. I can't WAIT to really start showing so that he can weigh in on that ::insert sarcasm here::

Christy, best of luck to your husband!!! The first week has been pretty overwhelming so far but I'm sure once I get into a groove with my study schedule, it will be come much more manageable. If your husband ever needs anything, like notes for a day he has to miss or something, just let me know and I'd be happy to help if I can.

• duh jen! everyone knows that once you get pregnant, your brain is incapable of thinking for 9 months. No really, that man is so ignorant! I honestly can't believe he is a professional.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • wow....it must be so hard to work with someone like that. Its true, like some pp said, for some people when you are pregnant is like you can't even think anymore..lol

?Best of luck to you and you are doing it the same way I did it. Not the bar exam but I got pregnant during the last?semesters?of finishing my master and the last semester stared 15 days after Diego was born. Its definitely easier to finish school while pregnant than with a newborn. Its doable but better off if you can get it out of the way and concentrate on just the baby later. ?

Now I have to say that at least for me one thing that have change 100% is my memory....man I used to have a great one, after having babies is gone..lol. At work I used to be a lot faster at answering with a 99% certainty but not anymore.

Again...Good Luck, you'll do great.

Barbie?

• Thank you so much! I'll volunteer him too if you ever need anything. :)
  • Here is what I know. I know that women are stronger than men. I know that we can grow a human and do everything else a man can do - and better - while we are growing said human. That guy IS a dinosaur and he also a huge naysayer but chances are there are women in his life who gave other strong, pregnant women a bad name.

I have seen many, many pregnant women find out they are pregnant and all of sudden cannot cook dinner, cannot seem to make it into work, let their other children run wild so that they can sit on the couch and do their nails. Mind you, these are not women who are incapacitated due to terrible morning sickness (that would be different) these are just women who feel that it is their due because they are pregnant. They give women a bad name and make men like that think that a pregnant woman is a simpering little wimp instead of the true warriors they actually are.

UGH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, this guy might have passed the bar and law school but he sure don't know nothing about women! LOL What an a$$
  • what a TOOL! I know you are capable of giving him a smart comment with a fabulous smile on your face and leaving him with the "uhhh" reaction! LOL. Since when did pregnancy make women handicapped? You gotta love the things that wonders in people's mind and to think this man is a PROFESSIONAL! BURRO!
  • TayLynnTayLynn member

I'm sorry you have to deal with him!  That guy would make my blood boil every time he opened his mouth.  

I just know you're going to do a great job and pass the bar.  And then you can have the added satisfaction of proving that dinosaur wrong!

• Thanks ladies! I'm glad to hear I am not just being overly-sensitive and that this guy is being a jerk. Oh well, it's a great motivator...all you have to do is tell me that I can't do something and I will go out of my way to make damn sure that I prove you wrong!
  • TayLynnTayLynn member
    That's a great attitude to have!  Especially when you would love to tell someone off and you just can't for the sake of your job. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"