Dallas-Fort Worth Babies

How much is enough?

I've been reading in my maternity magazines and books that you should start your maternity leave a whole month before your due date.  Is this enough time to get rested up and have everything ready for the baby?  Or is it just over kill?  How much maternity leave did you take/need, and when did you start it?

Re: How much is enough?

• I disagree.

Work until the last minute, otherwise you will drive yourself crazy. I could barely walk by the time I delivered but I still went to work. That way I got 12 full weeks with my baby.

• I agree with pp. It's more important to spend the time with your baby. Work as long as you can.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • WORK AS LONG AS YOU CAN. 

Otherwise, you'll be sitting at home, waiting to go into labor ... which could be at 41 weeks or something.  Save all that precious time for when the LO is an outside baby  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Well, I plan to be a SAHM after the birth so I'm not really worried about not having enough time with my little one, more worried about being too tired for my natural birth plan. 
  • Agree with pp for the most part, but:

I was induced and took 5 days of maternity leave before DD was born. It was glorious. I napped, read magazines, got a pedicure, lunched with friends, and just thoroughly enjoyed my last week of pregnancy.

This is a luxury that you could only have if you *knew* when you were having your baby.

Oh, and my doctor told me I couldn't work anymore, so I didn't really have a choice.

• imagelaurenisgreat:
    Well, I plan to be a SAHM after the birth so I'm not really worried about not having enough time with my little one, more worried about being too tired for my natural birth plan. 

In that case I would have already quit if I were you Stick out tongue

• flygeahflygeah member
    imageJessibell:

Agree with pp for the most part, but:

I was induced and took 5 days of maternity leave before DD was born. It was glorious. I napped, read magazines, got a pedicure, lunched with friends, and just thoroughly enjoyed my last week of pregnancy.

This is a luxury that you could only have if you *knew* when you were having your baby.

Oh, and my doctor told me I couldn't work anymore, so I didn't really have a choice.

This was me as well... My Dr. took me out of work and I was induced 5 days later and I did enjoy those day before DS.  But I did plan on working until the very end.... which I guess I did LOL.

• imageJessibell:

imagelaurenisgreat:
    Well, I plan to be a SAHM after the birth so I'm not really worried about not having enough time with my little one, more worried about being too tired for my natural birth plan. 

LOL!  I wish!  My DH has been unemployed for a year now.  I've been working 3-4 jobs to try to keep up with everything.  He is currently in salary negotiation with a new job.  I'm hoping to drop all but one job when he starts working and then drop that one and just take care of the LO.

• imagelaurenisgreat:
    imageJessibell:

imagelaurenisgreat:

LOL!  I wish!  My DH has been unemployed for a year now.  I've been working 3-4 jobs to try to keep up with everything.  He is currently in salary negotiation with a new job.  I'm hoping to drop all but one job when he starts working and then drop that one and just take care of the LO.

God love you honey! You deserve a break!!

• I didn't go back to work after I had K and was only working PT before I had him and I quit 2 weeks before my due date. ?I was dealing with a lot of other outside stresses at the time, though (like my 4yo niece that was living with us) and worked in retail on my feet all day long so I felt like I needed those two weeks to just rest a little before having him (and I was terrified that my water was going to break while I was at work).

?That being said, that was a LONG two weeks. ?I think a month would have been a tad unbearable.?

• DD was due on a Wednesday. My last day of work was the Friday before her due date. She was a few days late and I was bored at home. I actually went back up to school (work) a couple of times just to see people.?
    It just depends on if you have stuff that needs to get done and if you are ok taking it easy for a while.

• I was due on a Tuesday and worked up through the Friday before. As it turns out, my DS was all nice and comfy in my belly and didn't want to come out so I ending up having a week off before being induced. It was nice, but I just wanted to hurry up and have him that I kind of went bonkers wishing I would just go into labor, lol!
  • If I were you and you are not going back to work anyway, take that extra couple weeks before you give birth off and enjoy yourself! Shoot, that sounds marvelous! You will not get time for yourself in a very, very, very long time after your dc is born!
  • I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and there is no way I would leave work right now.  I feel like I've got at least 2 more weeks to go and even though my feet are the size of TLC's one ton mom, that is really the only discomfort I am having.

I plan on working up until the very last minute for all the reasons already mentioned but if you aren't going back to work then take off early.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"