Baby Showers
Options

Co-ed Shower?

My friends/mom convinced me to do the all women bridal shower so that I could invite more women and inevitable that I would get more gifts. But I have no desire to have a all-women baby shower with silly games and so I am thinking about going co-ed.

Has anyone done a co-ed baby shower? Did you think it worked well? What did you do about opening gifts?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Co-ed Shower?

• Options

Well, keep in mind that the hostess sets the # of guests you can invite.  If they say "20" - then you need to stick to that.  You can't just add on men on top of the women you're already inviting- that could double the list which isn't fair to your hostesses. 

Beyond that-

1- You still open gifts.

2- don't expect the men to be into it.  Co ed showers I've been to -the men tend to go off and talk elsewhere. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

My baby shower is going to be somewhat co-ed. It is a bbq, so some of my husbands friends, my brother, Dad, etc... are going to come along for the festivities. We aren't doing any silly games or anything. I am sure they will just sit around and eat. They will be usefull for carrying gifts in and out though!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a co-ed shower and I loved it...I was kinda of the center of attention but DH took on some of the attention and that was great. (I felt as though it was our baby and it should be a celebration of us, not me alone)

The guys enjoyed the games we played, dirty diaper, who can drink the bottle the fastest, name that celebrity baby, how many gum balls in a jar and how big is daddy's belly (this was a great hit). We tried to keep them short and sweet.

While opening presents my DH opened the big ones and I opened the small ones. We tried to do this quick so no one was so tried of oohing and awing around all the cute little thing. 

• Options

I have hosted 2 co-ed showers and both were equally fun (even with many single guys there). We played games that would make the boys participate and they all were rolling on the ground laughing the whole time. The boys get really competitive so any game that brings out that they will enjoy. We did baby bottles with apple juice or beer in them and they had to race to see who could drink them the fastest. Also we divided into teams of 3 or 4 with atleast one guy in each team and we had to dress the guys in a toilet paper diapers, and the Mom & Dad-to-be had to judge which was the best. This was hilarious to watch. The "My water broke" game with the ice cube in the cup with a baby inside which they have to be the first one to melt and yell 'My Water Broke', the boys were trying every trick to get theirs to melt first. Just make sure you have guy friendly prizes as well as prizes for the girls.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options

I'm having an all-girl shower where I live now...but also going back to my home town (2.5 hrs away) to have a Couples Shower/BBQ with old friends and family, where most of my friends were guys! Many of them are married now with kids of their own...so we thought it would be a great way for everyone to meet each other and catch up. We aren't going to have games or prizes, but I plan on bringing Thank You gift bags filled with picnic-type goodies for everyone that comes, whether they bring a gift or not. 

If you Google "couples baby shower" you will see tons of great ideas for making it fun for everyone...but the BBQ theme seems to be very popular for the summer... 

• Options

I gave a co-ed shower last year and it was tons of fun.  It was in the summer months, so we had a bbq outside.  There was around 40-45 people there and we just hung out, ate good food and had some drinks.  We didn't do games or anything like that, I'm not a huge fan of games and either was my SIL so it worked out great!

I would definetly reccomend a co-ed shower.

• Options

I'm having one, but basically what I'm having is a picnic event that also happens to involve presents.  I'm not much into silly games, though I'm happy to play them at other people's events, and my mom would rather host a friendly informal gathering anyway, so it works out.

I fully expect that a certain amount of tease the momtobe will be present just like at everything else, but... I am much more excited about it this way than I would be if it were just me and the girls eating dainty food and cooing about stuff.

• Options

We are doing a "Family Dinner" at MIL's.  Everyone is invited there will be tons of food and alcohol for the men.  We will open gifts just like at regular baby shower if they are interested the men can watch otherwise they can talk amongst themselves. 

We had the same kind of thing with DD and it turned out very well.  Everyone seemed to have a good time and my family isn't really into all the baby shower games anyway.  GL

• Options
    We had a couples shower and we loved it. I didn't open all of the presents {or maybe I did, it was 5 years ago} and we didn't make a huge announcement when I started, so whoever wants to watch could come and go. We had a large shower, so it worked really well. If it hadn't been my shower, I would have been one of the people on the back deck with a glass of wine. I hate to watch people open presents. Yuck!
  • Options
    We are planning on doing that. We're just going to call it a BBQ.
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

we had a co-ed shower with no games last september. ?we had the baseball playoff game on the big screen for the guys- and had everything catered (sausage sandwiches to make it more masculine)...there was wine and beer and it was sooo much fun. ?

i was pretty embarrassed that we forgot to open the gifts....i don't think anyone cared (they were over for 4 hours!)...i made sure to send out thank you cards within the week!?

• Options
    I haven't yet! But with baby number 2 I am! We are going to have more of a baby bash...Bar-b-Q...and gifts! My first was all women really formal..I was pretty much bored the whole time!
  • Options
    I went to a co-ed baby shower a month ago.  It was a blast!  The girls brought gifts from the registry and they asked that the guys just bring a pack of diapers, then gave them the size to bring.  I thought it was a wonderful idea and great way to get TONS of diapers!  HTH.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"