Dallas-Fort Worth Babies

Those of you who have taken the TExES

Which one did you take and how was it? I know I will have to take at least one to get certified in TX in the next year. In OK I am certified in Social Studies, but my scores weren't high enough (by 3 damn points!!!) to transfer. I am toying with the idea of taking the English Test or the Generalist 4-8 test.

Have any of you taken these tests? What were they like, what should I expect?

If you have taken the OK English Test and the TX English test, how does it compare?

Thanks ladies!

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August

Re: Those of you who have taken the TExES

• I took EC-4 and it was pretty easy. I noticed a lot of the questions were behavioral and how you would deal with it... might not be that way with 4-8 though. I am pretty sure you can take practice tests online??
  • Oh, and I bet Avz will be able to give you more info, I am pretty sure she took 4-8.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've taken the 4-8 science, 8-12 life science, and pedagogy for high school. I passed them all the first time without much trouble.?

Can I make a suggestion? If you decide to go with the generalist go into interviews knowing what you would want to teach. A couple of my friends went to the Mesquite job fair as representatives for the school I used to teach at. They were looking for a middle school science teacher and many people were generalists. When the applicants were asked what they would prefer to teach, 90% of the people said they would teach anything really. The lack of passion or desire for a specific subject was a turn off for them.

• Avz, I know I would want to teach Social Studies or English. Science and Math, I pretty much suck at, even Elementary level, sad I know lol.

Was the 4-8 test pretty much general knowledge of the basic core subjects with some management/pedagogy questions? Is there a written portion (I am in the process of downloading the study guides, just takes a while with my dumb comp) or is it just multiple choice?

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • imageWyWysMommy:

Was the 4-8 test pretty much general knowledge of the basic core subjects with some management/pedagogy questions? Is there a written portion (I am in the process of downloading the study guides, just takes a while with my dumb comp) or is it just multiple choice?

I took the 8-12 PPR test. It was all multiple choice and there were no subject type questions. Lots of best practice type questions and lots of SpEd (IEP, ARD) type questions. I think the key for taking that test is remembering to answer everything as if it were an ideal situation. Oh, and you can't use duct tape to tape a kid to his chair. That was actually an answer choice on my test.?

ETA: the 4-8 test I took was the Science subject test, so it was all science and lab safety type questions.?

• Man! Do you think electrical tape would be ok instead of duct tape? Its more humane I think, rips out less hair! Ha! Thanks for the information though, I really appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"