Special Needs

Irritated with Medicaid

I just got off the phone with medicaid doing an interview. It is so obvious that we are over the income guidelines, just from the initial app we submitted and the call we just had. I just want my ds to get medicaid based on his disability, to supplement our insurance, which pays crap for him.

Why do you need all this income verification, daycare costs, etc to be mailed to you?

It just seems like a waste of time to go through all of this. Why couldn't they just have transferred my app to the disability medicaid program? But, that makes too much sense.

Re: Irritated with Medicaid

• I am convinced that for the 'privalage' of using their $$, you have to jump through every hoop imaginable. That's just my experience..... 

Once it's in place, it'll be worth it!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When we were applying for medicaid it was the strangest experience ever!  DH and I felt like they were the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz and we had to play the cowardly lion during the application process so they would be nice and give us the insurance.  So nuts!  I know they deal with people trying to scam the system on a daily basis so they have to be sharp, but seriously, we're nice people in an unfortunate situation.  Clearly we have our sh*t together.  Can we all put on a happy face? 

Good luck, though!  Like pp said, it's totally worth it once you get it.

• Loading the player...
  • It certainly was a pain in the neck to fill out all of the applications, especially since we knew from the start that we wouldn't qualify in the traditional sense.  We didn't qualify based on income, either. But once we worked through all of the red tape, Medicaid has been a wonderful supplemental benefit. It pays for nursing coverage so my DH and I can keep our jobs and support ourselves and our little one. It took about 4 months all together before all of the bureaucratic things got worked out. Hopefully it won't take you that long.
  • imageEnglishMajor03:
    When we were applying for medicaid it was the strangest experience ever!  DH and I felt like they were the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz and we had to play the cowardly lion during the application process so they would be nice and give us the insurance. 

Lol- That is EXACTLY how I feel sometimes! I also find myself being extra polite to all the hospital staff as well, as if we could make it all go away just by being nice enough. Authority issues perhaps, but you never know who can help you- or put your kid's file under a mountain of paperwork!

Good luck! I will be thinking of you while I am on hold.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"