D.C. Area Babies
Options

Stranger kids approaching/touching baby?

Over the last couple of days, I've had two incidences of older children (we do not know) approaching the baby when we are out, touching him, getting in his face (one little girl even ducked under his huge stroller canopy to get really close to his face). This seems to be happening more and more for some reason. Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

One one hand, I don't want to react and him to be scared of other kids (they are always sweet about it), one the other hand I don't want strangers to violate his personal space (not to mention the germs when they pick up his binky, touch his face, hands, etc.). One time he looked at me confused, as if to say who the heck are these people.

When we were at the park yesterday, literally three little kids crowded around the stroller (their parents not paying attention or who knows) and we tried to extricate ourselves but it was hard. Short of yelling "do not touch the baby! Look only!", what can I say/do? Is it the age, will this pass?

Re: Stranger kids approaching/touching baby?

• Options
    No advice, but I've noticed adults do it too. I think you can say to kids- don't touch, just look. I think it's harder to say that to adults!
  • Options
    I used to suggest to little kids that if they want to touch him, to only touch his feet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I dealt with that a lot from both adults and children.  I figure it really comes down to protecting your babies from illness or being polite, and I'd rather protect my babies.  I just gently stopped little kids from touching the babies and told them that only people who have just washed their hands should touch little babies.  For adults, I just said in a cold voice "don't touch my babies"

• Options
    JARbabyJARbaby member

I too tell LOs to touch DD feet or leg.

I feel it is a good learning experience for the other child on how to handle social situations properly and a good way to expose my babies to other kids.

• Options
    If the parents are AWOL, I tell them they need to check with mommy or daddy before they touch the baby.    I've never had any trouble after the parents were paying attention.  They either tell the kid not to touch, or they supervise appropriately.
  • Options
    Ditto on touching the feet.  I say "she doesn't like to have people touch her face or head, maybe you can just give her foot a pat..."  I figure not many germs will penetrate her little socks, and the kids get to greet the baby.  Little kids LOVE babies, so it's something that is sure to happen a lot.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"