Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

back from house-hunting trip to DFW

man, was that exhausting?!!!  I will say that I was not at all ready for the flat-ness (it's EXTREMELY hilly in Cincinnati area) and the high privacy fences with driveways in the back - that was a shocker for me.

We've pretty surely decided that Frisco is where we want to be.  It's a bit of a commute for Dh (to UT Swestern) but lots of job options for me and having everything we'd need close by is a huge plus.  Also, we think there we can get the most home for our money (and our budget's pretty tight).

Anyone live in Frisco or want to rant or rave about it?? 

We put an offer on a house, but most likely will not get it, but that's ok bc there are tons of other possibilities.

Re: back from house-hunting trip to DFW

• Options

LOL about the driveways in the back. That always seemed strange to me too and it seems to be more common in the older neighborhoods. Our driveway is in the front!

Frisco is a very nice town from what I have seen/heard.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Oh, and all of Texas isn't flat :)

The drive between Keller and Flower Mound is breathtaking and there are mountains in West Texas. That is one of the best things about TX. You are only a 2 to 10 hour drive away from pretty much anything that you could want.

(Ohio is nice too. I lived in Aurora (Cleveland) and Springboro (Near Dayton and the KY border.)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I live verrrrrry close (less than 2 miles on the other side of the city line) from frisco and we went through there today to look at houses. We bought our "starter home" in a town right outside of Frisco called Savannah but we do all of our shopping/going out/living in Frisco. Its an AMAZING city to raise a family and their schools are some of the best in the metroplex (my best friend teaches kindergarten in Frisco and I am blown away by the things she is able to teach 5 year olds)

Frisco has its issues (lots of "gated" families) but there is a good mix of people in frisco and most seem to have unified family values which is always nice to find in an area.

other cities in the metro i would suggest would include West Plano, West Carrollton, Coppell, McKinney, Flower Mound, Colleyville and Grapevine. 

Happy hunting!

• Options
    imagedec05gurl:

man, was that exhausting?!!!  I will say that I was not at all ready for the flat-ness (it's EXTREMELY hilly in Cincinnati area) and the high privacy fences with driveways in the back - that was a shocker for me.

Ha! I have a friend that's from Cincinnati who lives in Frisco and she hates these tall privacy fences. She's always been so baffled by that. They recently bought another house (in Frisco too) that sits on a greenbelt so they have a wrought iron fence now with a pretty view. 

Frisco is nice and has everything you would probably need (except a Babies R Us...that I still don't get) :P

We just moved from Frisco to Plano but still go to Frisco for everything! I think you will be very happy with the area once you get settled. Good luck with the house!

• Options
    We live in  Frisco.  Moved here just over 7 years ago and LOVE it.  I don't know what to say except our neighborhood is great, the schools are fab (according to everyone.....obviously, DS is still too young.) It's close to tons of stuff and growing like crazy.
  • Options

We went house hunting today too. Saw 8 houses, and are going to see one more tomorrow. (PP, we went to Savannah and Providence Village today. Love the community, hated the teeny tiny yards!)

We drove from Little Elm to McKinney looking, stopped in Frisco to view one house, it had huge crack in ceiling! We found 1 we will be putting an offer on in Little Elm if the McKinney house we are viewing tomorrow is a flop. Otherwise we are going with McKinney. Either way, by the end of the week, we will have an offer in! WooHoo!!! 

We started looking at noon and finished about 3:30. Add toting a baby, and man I am worn out!

I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • Options

I'm in Frisco and love it!  I have to commute to 635 and 75 which takes me about 40 minutes.  DH has to commute to downtown- he mostly takes the train to save on gas. 

Congrats on the house hunt!

DD#1 is such a big girl! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I absolutely LOVE hearing about what other people think about new areas that they come too ... yes, you DO have to get over the initial flatness of DFW ... and the lack of trees (which was hard for me).  Alleyways behind the homes are something you will find a lot of in this area as well. 

Ditto on what PP said though ... if you don't like a specific way part of TX looks, you can usually drive for a couple of hours and it will change dramatically. 

East TX piney woods ... Southern coastlands, Western plains and mountains, Central hillcountry ... it's all different  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options
    hahaha, i can't help but laugh at the "flatness of TX" part.  When we moved here (from FL), DH and i were blown away by how many "hills" there are here, hee hee.  I've never been to Frisco, but i hear lots of great things!
  • Options
    We live in Frisco and love it.  The city is incredibly family friendly and has a number of free activities for children - the library in particular has great programs.  I rarely leave the "bubble" of Frisco, as we have everything we need here.  Eventho we don't have a BRU, the TRU has a large BRU section.  I wouldn't be surprised if Frisco gets a BRU as the city continues to grow - and hopefully a Costco too!  (that is one of the stores I do go to out of Frisco)  If you have any questions about the area, let me know - I am more than happy to help!  (mommy2chloeb at gmail.com)
  • Options

Thanks ladies!!  You've all been so helpful, I can't wait to meet you!! 

Well, the house we put an offer on, we didn't accept their counter, so we're still hunting.  There's a lot to choose from, so I'm not upset about this one.  Our realtor is still searching for us and if he finds one he thinks we'll like he's going to take tons of photos and send our way - that could be interesting.  

I'm stressed out the whazoo...so as soon as we get there and into a house, I'll need to meet some of you ladies for drinks!  :) 

Yes, I HATE the fences and flatness, but I'm going to have to get over it - We'll need to take a roadtrip to some of the places the pp mentioned! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"