Baby Names

what do you think of thea?

Both DH and I really like the name Thea (finally we agree on something!!!!). But we would pronounce it tay-ah (it can be pronounced like that or like thee-ah). I know that picking a name with different pronounciations means it would often be mispronounced at first.. but I think I'm ok with that. Everyone who knows her would know how to say it, and if not, we'd just correct them. My maiden name is often mispronounced/misspelled and it doesn't drive me crazy, so I don't see this as such a big deal if we like the name otherwise..

?

But I'm wondering what other people think. Do you like the name Thea? What do you think of when you hear it? Do you think I should be more concerned about the pronounciation??

Re: what do you think of thea?

• Honestly? NMS. I would always pronounce it Thee-ah though. Tay-ah is like Tea Leoni to me.
  • My maiden name was mispronounced a lot too and it didn't bother me...  But I'm not sure as a child I would have been cool with nobody knowing how to say my first name.  If you just really like the sound of the name I would spell it in a way that makes more sense for the sake of the baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I like it, but I would just make sure you are OK with there being lots of problems with pronunciation, because I think you have chosen the less common pronunciation.
  • imageKateMW:
    Honestly? NMS. I would always pronounce it Thee-ah though. Tay-ah is like Tea Leoni to me.

This...

• i would not have ever gotten your pronunciation had you not said it-i would have gone with thee-ah first.   my first name has always been difficult for people-i got diane or deanne a lot.   after i while you just go ah close enough i'll answer to it-much easier than correcting all the time.
  • Thea definitely looks like the NN for Althea or Dorthea and thus thee-ah. If you like tay-ah, I would spell it like T?a Leoni. But, put in the pronouncation mark so it isn't tea (the drink).
  • I like tay-ah- I just think it will be mispronounced on a daily basis.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • and123and123 member
    I think it's pretty.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pumpkins Pictures, Images and Photos
  • i love thee-ah

i do like tay-ah but not spelled that way/  maybe taya?

• imagecourtneyandandrew:

imageKateMW:
    Honestly? NMS. I would always pronounce it Thee-ah though. Tay-ah is like Tea Leoni to me.

This...

This. Also, I don't like Tay-ah as much as The-ah.

• My old coworker's dd is named Thea. She was saying that people were always asking her what her real name was. I guess everyone thought Thea was short for something.
  • No one knows how to pronounce my married name and that's a whole lot different than not knowing how to pronounce my first name. I don't think it's very comparable.

To me, Thea looks like "Thee-a" and it will to probably every person she ever meets, because it's so close to Theo in spelling (and you'd never pronounce Theo "Tay-O").

If you like the name, I'd stick with Tea or something along those lines.

• Very cute but hard to pronounce when first seeing how it's spelled (like you said).
  • I love the name! One of my best friends growing up has the same name but spells it Theja. Maybe if you spell it differently people won't pronounce it wrong. Just an idea.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I clicked here because I love Thea but I've always known it to be pronounced as Thee-a.  I do like the name Tea for the Tay-ah pronunciation but wouldn't have thought Thea could be pronounced that way.  I can kind of see it and it's nice, but like pp said, you really have to be prepared for the constant correction your DD will have to face.  I have a first name that is pronounced differently than commonly spelled and have always hated it...it's an annoyance that's always made life more complicated than it should have been.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagedionnemd10:
    i would not have ever gotten your pronunciation had you not said it-i would have gone with thee-ah first.  

This. Never in a million years would I see this name and not say the Th and pronounce it Thee-ah.

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imageteacherjess:

No one knows how to pronounce my married name and that's a whole lot different than not knowing how to pronounce my first name. I don't think it's very comparable.

To me, Thea looks like "Thee-a" and it will to probably every person she ever meets, because it's so close to Theo in spelling (and you'd never pronounce Theo "Tay-O").

Ditto 1000%?

• My friends used it for their DD but spelled it Tehya...my aunt also has a cat named Thea.
  • imageLMS05:
    imageteacherjess:

No one knows how to pronounce my married name and that's a whole lot different than not knowing how to pronounce my first name. I don't think it's very comparable.

Ditto 1000% 

Agreed.

• I don't like thee-ah but I am okay with Tay-ah. I would probably spell it differently. Taya maybe?
  • When I first saw your question I thought I like it! But that was with the Thee-ah pronounciation.

Pronouncing it Tay-ah is nms.

• I think tay-ah is darling but think it will ALWAYS be mispronounced if you spell it Thea which, in literature is the feminine form of Theo (short for Theodore and Theadora). Theo is never tay-oh. It's kind of silly that we have to consider pronunciation so much but that seems to be the way of things. I can tell you that, as a high school teacher, my colleagues and I are constantly frustrated by parents who have felt the need to spell names very differently from how they sound. High school students are VERY snotty about correcting us, like it is our fault that we read phoenetically!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would feel bad for her ..people would say it wrong all the time...but I like the name
  • I like the name...just not the spelling.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I like Thea pronounced as THEE-uh, as a nn for Theodora.

I like the spelling of Tea better if you want ppl to pronounce it as TAY-uh. I think it's cute!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • k267k267 member

Thanks to everyone for your replies. We're going to think about it some more.. I like Thea better than Tea, partly because we know and love a Thea (pronounced tayah) and I like the idea of it being the same as her name. I know it will be more common for people to see this and think thee-ah, but just in case people think I'm making this up, both thee-ah and tayah are traditional pronounciations of the spelling Thea (https://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/meaning_of_Thea.html)

?

Anyway.. thanks for your thoughts!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"