Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

ideas of what to use instead of baby gate.

we have to living rooms set up like this:

I want to block one room from another but all the babygates I've found aren't big enough to fit the space.  Any suggestions on what to use to block the two rooms without spending tons of money?  Thanks!

Re: ideas of what to use instead of baby gate.

• Spin313Spin313 member

This is going to sound mean, but you should check out the pet aisles of stores like Meijers, Walmart, or Kmart.  They carry pet gates that expand a lot wider than baby gates and they generally cost less.  My sister bought one that looks like wooden Xs (like a trellis) so she could gate off her wide-entry dining room.

• unfortunately, we don't have a walmart or kmart :(  I've checked the pet stores in our neighborhood and they only have cages--not gates.  Good idea though!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • you could look for a bigger enclosure type gate-the ones that hinge and can be turned into a circle or whatever you need (i've seen people use them around christmas trees before) but i've not the slightest idea where to look, unless you order from a company here.

• onestepahead.com has some very wide gates that you might be able to use. They're probably not cheap though.

I have a few areas in our new house that won't often need to be gated, but I know sometimes I'll want them to be and they're wide or awkwardly shaped.. At our Gymboree classes, they have some scrunchy gate-type thing made out of fabric that they attach on hooks on either end.. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I'm going to search for something like that to use on occasion that I can then put away. I'll go google right now and see if I can find what I'm talking about to give you a better example.

ETA: ok, I couldn't find anything even close to what I'm talking about.. We have Gymboree in the morning. I'll ask them what it's called and where they got it and post back here :)

ETA again: HERE's something that might work for you and isn't too expensive.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Bim is it something like this?  https://tinyurl.com/58vca2

I think we could get this when we visit the states in August and haul it back with us.

• imagetwopeasinapod:

Bim is it something like this?  https://tinyurl.com/58vca2

I think we could get this when we visit the states in August and haul it back with us.

ya, that is actually something I was looking at, but not what Gymboree has. Their fabric "gate" is really really basic and probably pretty cheap and fits much wider openings (I don't want to spend much on something I won't use often). But that retractable gate seems really nice!

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • OK nevermind.  I just saw the price that doesn't even include the wall fasteners!  EEK.

• imagetwopeasinapod:

OK nevermind.  I just saw the price that doesn't even include the wall fasteners!  EEK.

i need two of them and can not bring myself to spend that much.

bru has three gates that might work for you. one of them can almost be made into a play area and one is a three panel mesh gate with a door in the middle.  the other one is mesh looking and spans to 60" i think.  you would have to step over it though.

• https://www.babypark.nl/ traphejke baby guard - 100 euros. ?They deliver ;) ?Maybe you can find one marktplaats, look under veiligheidsartikelen .
  • Spin313Spin313 member

imagetwopeasinapod:
    unfortunately, we don't have a walmart or kmart :(  I've checked the pet stores in our neighborhood and they only have cages--not gates.  Good idea though!!!

Did you try Lowes or Home Depot?  ...or maybe even Target?

• What is the width of the opening?  We bought this gate from BRU https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3212010  it expands to 58 inches out of the box, and you can buy extra panels to expand it even further.  HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"