Working Moms

How do you deal with exhaustion?

I get caught up on sleep pretty well on the weekend, but by Wednesday I am lagging again.  Just curious to hear other people's coping methods.  Coffee? Cold water on the face?

Re: How do you deal with exhaustion?

• you know, I have noticed that sometimes I get so caught up in taking care of DS that I miss my morning cup of coffee.   I don't notice until about 2pm when I am dragging.  
  • I've started to give up on evening household chores and go to bed right after DD at least once a week. I sometimes have to read for 30 minutes, but I'm trying to be asleep before 9:00 at least once a week.

I also find if I don't eat dinner too late or something sugary after dinner to keep going, I sleep much better.

I try to get outside at lunch and go for a walk a couple of times a week which helps during the day.

I try to have a mid- to late-afternoon snack of fruit and cheese or with some protein (although, I have to confess, today's was ice cream and tea).

• Loading the player...
  • your signiture pics just loaded on my computer.  Is that your husband?  He is a good-looking guy!

• imagekgb1411:

your signiture pics just loaded on my computer.  Is that your husband?  He is a good-looking guy!

Thanks!  He is a lot prettier than me! Stick out tongue

Mango, great tips.  I might try the early bedtime in the middle of the week and the afternoon snack.  Fruit sounds good. 

• PeskyPesky member

I just remind myself I can nap when she's 6.

Okay, seriously, try an apple -- it can wake up more than a cup of coffee.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I just turn on the auto pilot.
  • I drink a lot of coffee, but I'm not sure that's the best method.  I try to take naps when I can, and to get to bed early.  Sometimes working out in the afternoon helps and sometimes it makes me need another cup of coffee just to make it home.  Fresh air or a snack is good.  Drink a lot of water because being dehydrated can make you more tired.

Honestly, I just try to plan my day so that I do important stuff when I'm more alert and I know I don't get much done once we get home.  I'm starting to worry that I may never feel well-rested again.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well, when my DS was very young, and was SATH mom, as soon as DH was appearing at the doorstep, I had a bjorn in my hands "out, and do not be back earlier thatn in an hour".  I remember people were suggesting to go to the movies, or whatever, but all I wanted is a night of uninterrupted sleep AT HOME.

SO, try to find those moments, sometimes half-an-hour works a miracle!

GL

DaisypathNext Anniversary Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Luckily I've been in my job a long time and didn't have a lot of new stuff to learn in the midst of horrible sleep deprivation.  I just drank a lot of coffee, went on auto pilot, and took it one day at a time... If you really are about to fall asleep at your desk, go to the bathroom (or somewhere you're alone) and jump up and down. 
  • Coffee has been a biggie for me.  Too big.  I am going to have a hard time giving up caffeine when I decide to TTC for #2 (which won't be for a looooooong time.)  I also get to bed by 9:30.  Basically, I get nothing but the very basics done.  Its frustrated.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I go to bed early as well.  Most nights my light is off by 9pm.  If we've had a bad week for some reason I will try to be asleep by 8:30pm.  At your DC age DH would often watch DS while I napped from 6-10pm and then I would nurse DS and put him to bed after that.  On my days off I try to take 1 nap per day with DS.  It helps him to sleep longer so I can sleep longer.

I also drink coffee most days and snack a lot - not the healthiest methods, but they keep me going.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I try to go to bed no later than 9 pm.  I feel like I hardly see my DH though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I usually fall asleep watching TV.  It's bad, my DH hates it.  I'm so early (before the birds), that I can't keep my eyes open.  I've never been a coffee drinker.
  • Coffee & catnaps. also, really good concealer & blush... check out the good glowing mosaic from mark, very budget friendly. Back at work and get told how well rested i look, if they only knew! https://shook.mymarkstore.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"