3rd Trimester

Does the first born usually come early or late?

I was under the impression that the first usually comes late. I said this to someone and they acted like I was retarded because the first obviously comes early...

I was just wondering from your experiences or from people you know if the baby came late, early, or right on time?

Re: Does the first born usually come early or late?

• Baby 1 37 weeks

Baby 2 33 weeks (preeclampsia)

• My OB said most first timers naturally go into labor between 40 and 41 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The first *usually* comes later than subsequent children, although that doesn't necessarily mean after EDD. Also, it's certainly not true for everyone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i've heard it could go either way. doctors are always getting dates wrong and babies just generally come whenever they want too. so it's a waiting game and we'll all be surprised in the end i'm sure.
  • I've always heard "first ones are usually late" but with my friends its been about 50/50.  A couple of my girlfriends had theirs about 10 days early, and a couple others were about a week late.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMidwestTexan:

My OB said most first timers naturally go into labor between 40 and 41 weeks.

Yeah, I believe average is 41 wk 1 day for white women

• I don;t think there is a "usually" to this. Everyone is different.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My OB told me they come late.
  • My first was late 41 weeks.
  • I was told the first usually comes late, and among IRL friends who have recently given birth, this was true.  I, myself, was born 3 days late.

However, in my family, I found out that I was an exception.  My grandmother gave birth to 1st at 37 weeks, 2nd at 38 weeks, and 3rd (my mom) on her EDD.  My cousin gave birth at 37.2.  My MIL doesn't remember if she was early or late or how big or small DH was....she's real helpful!  (And she was med-free, so drug-haze is not an excuse to forget in her case!)

• imageN&G 5_26_07:
    I don;t think there is a "usually" to this. Everyone is different.

Ditto. My older sister came 3 weeks early, I came 2 weeks early. And my DS came over 6 weeks early.

Both my sister's babies came pretty close to full term, but not over.

• imagepeachypear:
    imageMidwestTexan:

Is there really a difference in race?

• MegDCMegDC member
    The statistics my OB gave me from there (very very large) practice is 10% early, 3% on EDD, 87% after EDD. ?Don't know if that corresponds with averages everywhere.?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My OB said most first time moms go late, at least in his experience.
    IMG_0173.11
    Trying for #2 since July 2010
    BFP 8/1/10, missed m/c, D&C 9/15/10.
    BFP 1/8/11, chemical pregnancy.
    BFP 3/4/11, measured behind all along, no more HB 4/18/11. D&C 4/29/11. HCG didn't drop, Repeat D&C 6/17/11; confirmed molar pregnancy 6/23/11.
    Forced break, including two Hysteroscopies in October to remove retained tissue.
    BFP 12/29/11! Betas @ 10 dpo = 85, 14 dpo= 498, 22 dpo = 7242
    Heard HB 1/24/12. 144 bpm!

Luca Rose born 9/9/12! More than worth the wait!
  • imageAlwysAwsm:
    imagepeachypear:
    imageMidwestTexan:

Is there really a difference in race?

I can't remember if there was a difference by race or if the study was limited to only white women.

Checking...

-----------------------------------------------

The study I was referencing included only white women, so the results cannot be extended to other races. In the discussion, they mention that similar studies in other races found shorter gestation periods in uncomplicated, singleton pregnancies. However, another study that examined the difference between black and '"non-black" (presumably white, but not specified) women found that black women did have shorter gestational periods.

Another study in Sweden (so, only Swedes) found the gestation length to be 40 wks 2 days.

All the studies found that the gestation period of subsequent children was shorter - on average - than first children.

• I was the first born and I was a week and a half late
  • blf722blf722 member
    I've heard late.  I went to a doula training and the instructor told me that in her experience 1st time mothers tend to think they will deliver early, but usually don't.  She told me to plan on 42 weeks and be happy if I go before then. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think they say the first is "generally" late.   But, I've also read that a certain percentage of late babies aren't really late, that it's just a miscalculated due date.   

Most of the first time moms I know have gone early.    But, I also know some of many first timers induced due to high blood pressure or some other factor.   

My mom was early with all of her kids.   Also, my MIL was early with my DH (her first).    So, it's really hard to say! 

Boy, I hope I'm one of the early ones though.   The thought of 4-5 more weeks is agony.  (I did ask my doctor about how late they'll let me go.  He said they would induce so I don't hit 42 weeks.    I'd hit 42 weeks on a Sunday, so I think they'd induce the Friday before I hit 42 weeks if I don't come naturally). 

• I was induced with #1 at 41 weeks. Most people I know the first time around went up to or passed their due date. Of course, there are exceptions and I know a couple that went on their own (for no medical purpose) at around 37-38 weeks.
  • I believe the average is 4 days late.  Your cycle length can also play a role too.  If you tend to have a 28 day cycle you generally go later then your dd, if it's shorter you may go a couple days early. 
  • PeskyPesky member
    My OB warned us with DD that first time babies tend to go around the due date, if not later.  I went into labor with DD at 39w5d. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I thought that the first usually comes late... but my two best friends have went into labor around 32 weeks for NO REASON and it's freaking my out... The first was about a year and a half ago (delivered) and the second was last week. They were able to stop my friends labor at 4 cm but she has to stay in the hospital until she delivers, hopefully at least 3 more weeks. However, they are telling her family another story than they are telling her. She thinks they might let her go home on bed rest, but her dad told us that she's gonna be there awhile and he's probably gonna be born in the next 2 weeks.
  • My doctor said anywhere from 3 weeks early to 2 weeks late.  Kind of vague, but it's the truth.  You just never know.

Here's a graph I found online:

• My first came right at 35 weeks.  My second came at 37 weeks.  So far, this is the furthest I made it out of the 3 so it seems backwards for me since each child is coming later.
  • My first was a couple of days early.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"