Health & Exercise
Options

Deli Meat

Is it ok to eat lunch meat that you get sliced from the deli?

Re: Deli Meat

• Options

i wish it was ok to eat deli meat.. but theres a bacteria that sliced deli meats could contain.. i asked my dr the other day about deli meats and i was told IF i wanted them i had to "cook" them to ensure that the bacteria is killed.

• Options
    my dr. said the same thing.  they gave me a pamphlet from the USDA on the risk of listeriosis during pregnancy.  it said do not eat deli meats unless they are reheated until steaming hot.  i never realized how much i missed subway!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto what the others said.

In addition, I was told that if you WERE going to eat it, eat stuff that you buy pre-packaged, NOT stuff sliced from the deli in front of you.  He didn't explain why though....maybe less risk of contamination?

Lots of people think I'm silly for avoiding it, but we had a Listeria outbreak shortly before I got pregnant, and one of my SIL's friends lost her baby because of it.  Food isn't worth the risk to me.

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    oh great im sitting here eating a ham and turkey sandwich I thought we couldn't eat deli meat because of the sodium. Well there goes that sandwich.
  • Options
    My doctor said it was fine but I'm still a little scared b/c I've always heard otherwise. I have had some b/c I was really craving it. From now on I'll heat it up though and I agree that packaged meats are probably better than the ones behind the counter.?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was also told that the pre-packaged meats are fine--it's the actual deli-counter, slice-it-off-the-hunk stuff that can cause big problems. I got it completely mixed-up, though, for the first 6 weeks and ate quite a bit of deli-counter meat before asking more specific questions. I didn't get sick luckily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"