2nd Trimester

Rubella Vaccine Wearing off?

I never heard of this until my OB appt. yesterday, but apparently 20-30% of women lose their immunity to Rubella when the vaccine they received as a child wears off. Unfortunately, I am one of the 20-30%.

Any one else? If so, are you concerned?

I wouldn't be concerned, but the preschool that I work in doesn't strictly enforce the MMR vaccination. So there are a handful of children who haven't had the vaccine in my school.

On a side note, I can't believe I wasn't aware of this until now. Why didn't my OBGYN say anything when I mentioned we were TTC, or when I went to the doctor regarding my m/c last fall? It would have been helpful to have been tested prior to getting pregnant!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
imageimageimage

Re: Rubella Vaccine Wearing off?

• Can you get a booster for it?
  • imagechristin3580:
    Can you get a booster for it?

Not until after I give birth. I guess there is a risk to the baby.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Rubella is practically eradicated in the States, which is why a lot of school don't strictly require the MMR. You'll be fine, I promise.
  • The exact same thing happened to me.

But the doctor told me it wasn't a big deal becuase he's known no cases of rubella since the 1950s and that I'd be just fine without it.

We'll get a booster after I deliver.

I haven't thought twice about it honestly.

• Never heard of that one, I know my chicken pox vaccine wears off every 10 years, hmm with a baby on the way maybe I should get another after baby is born, after all it's been almost 13 years...

• Mine wore off.  Luckily, my RE tested me to see if I still had immunity.  When I came back no longer immune, I got revaccinated a month before my IVF cycle started.  I don't think you have to worry much though.  I searched the cases of rubella, and it seems pretty rare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • The doctor that did our blood tests when we were married 9+ years ago said I needed a booster before we TTC. Since we had no intentions of trying for at least the first 5 years, I never got it. When my OB tested me this year, she said my immunity was fine. *shrug*
    Gabriel :: Born on his due date - 9/19/09 :: 9lb 8oz, 21"Birth Storysig4 copyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You really need to research the "wearing off immunity" thing and boosters.  Some docs say if the shot "wore off" then a booster will as well because for some reason your immune system isn't "holding on" to the immunity and essentially there is no point in getting another one.  Plus, if you are going to get the booster after birth please be aware that some of the virus does get into breastmilk and is not good for the baby.  (Just looked into this recently for another reason) :)

• I had my Rubella vaccine wear off after every child. My Drs told me it is fairly common after pregnancy.
    4 Rubella (MMR) shots from May, 2003- Dec, 2009. Had a child every 2 years along with an injection after every birth...
    It gets quite annoying and has left me wondering if it will again wear off leaving me to either be at risk or attain yet another shot.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My MMR vaccine wore off, so I had a booster before I got pregnant. Rubella may be close to irradiated, but there was a recent outbreak of mumps in Anchorage. My doctor told me to get it, and warned not to TTC for 30 days. After the news today, I'm glad I followed her advice!
    JGL
  • jgl907 said:
    My MMR vaccine wore off, so I had a booster before I got pregnant. Rubella may be close to irradiated, but there was a recent outbreak of mumps in Anchorage. My doctor told me to get it, and warned not to TTC for 30 days. After the news today, I'm glad I followed her advice!
    You know this post was from 2009 right? Major Zombie thread!