Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Anyone miscarry after seeing heartbeat in u/s?

I was wondering if anyone else miscarried after seeing a healthy heartbeat in the u/s?  My baby had a heartbeat of 173 bpm at 8 weeks 3 days.  It quit growing around 9 weeks 4 days. 

This was our first pregnancy and first miscarriage. 

Did anyone get the baby tested to see what caused the m/c?  My insurance wouldn't cover fetal autopsy, so we decided we will test if it happens again. 

Did anyone have tests run on theirselves or their husband to see if they could find out what caused it?  If so, did you find the cause?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone miscarry after seeing heartbeat in u/s?

• hbkiseshbkises member

we saw ours on us at 6weeks and lost him/her at 9w3d. it was our first also.  we did get testing done which showed absolutely nothing which I hear is a good thing. Our OB does the testing for all D&C's.  We didn't get testing done on ourselves. I think if it recurred like 3 times, we would.  Most doctors won't run tests until 3 consecutive MC's, but yours might be different.

I am so sorry that you're going through this.

• First - I am so sorry for your loss.  It is not any easy thing at any point in a pregnancy. And it definitely is hard with it being your first.  Hang in there, it will get better (in your time).

My story - I miscarried at about 17 weeks with my first this past February after having a great level II ultrasound in January.  It is really hard to get past some of the milestones that they say - risk decreases after hearing heart beat, risk decreases after first tri, and then to have a loss.  It can seem so unfair.  We had the baby's tissue test, which came back normal.  So we did not get any answers as to why it ended.  My doctor was very empathetic, but basically said it happens, and most times the reason is not determined. 

At this point, we are not getting any further testing.  But, I'll be turning 36 this summer and don't feel I could go through another loss and not try to figure out why before that.  So if I ended up pg again, I'm going to push for what I can have looked early to see if there is anything to watch for.

• Loading the player...
  • We saw the HB at around 8 weeks and found out at the NT scan (12 weeks) that we lost the baby at 9 weeks.

I had a natural m/s at home, so we did not do any testing.

imageimage
    Zachary Ryan - 1/13/08 - 6lbs 15oz, 20.5 inches
    Lilia Rose - 5/11/10 - 8lbs 6oz, 21 inches
    imageimage
  • Yes but my situation was different, my baby was 18 wks and perfectly healthy, it was an amniotic fluid infection that caused me to have to deliver her at 18 wks... 

Sorry for your loss.  I hope that you are able to get some answers

• With my second pregnancy we saw a healthy baby at 6 weeks with a great heart beat. When I had an U/S done at 8 weeks the baby's heart had stopped beating and was measuring 8w4d.

I had the testing done on the baby which came back normal.

I have my follow up today and I will be getting some testing done on myself. IE: Diabetes, Hormone Level, Clotting Disorder

So sorry for your loss and like one of the PP said, it does get easier (in time).

• ibisibis member

I heard the HB on the Doppler at 8wks, which is supposed "better" than seeing it on the US.

The thing is, it used to be that people didn't get US until 20 wks, and wouldn't get a Doppler until about 12 wks. So the stats about the HB lowering your risk of m/c are really more about making it in the 2nd tri, not about the HB ensuring a viable pregnancy. We just have better technology now, but the m/c risk is the same in 1st tri.

We didn't get any testing done because I m/c naturally at home and didn't save anything. 

• We heard a h/b on the ultrasound for the first pregnancy at about 7 weeks, started to miscarry at 14 weeks, and the baby measured about 9 weeks. For the second pregnancy we heard the h/b on the ultrasound at about 7 weeks, but the ultrasound at 9 weeks 4 days showed no h/b and the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks. We did testing on both me and the baby after the second loss and everything came back completely normal.

I am so sorry for you loss. Hopefully coming here and talking with other ladies who understand how you're feeling will help you and be of some comfort.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Loss #1 (missed miscarriage) 14 weeks Loss #2 (missed miscarriage) 10 weeks Loss #3 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #4 (chemical pregnancy) Loss #5 (chemical pregnancy)
  • so sorry you are dealing with this!!  I haven't seen a healthy h/b with either of my m/c.

With my 2nd loss they are doing some testing.  I'd inquire with your Dr. re. one but they probably won't do anything.

Again very sorry for your loss!

• we saw the hb at 6w and they discovered the missed m/c at 12w. the baby had stopped growing around 8w. i had an appt at 8.5w and they said everything looked normal. after my d&c, they said all the testing came back normal. but they did not do genetic testing as this was my first pg and my first m/c. the worst part is not knowing exactly why this happened. they said my prog levels were extremely low at the time of m/c so they will monitor that during my next pg.
  • First of all, I am very sorry for your loss. Loosing a child is the hardest thing I have ever had to go through, and I know how much pain you are coping with right now.

During my first pregnancy, I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks and 12 weeks, and heard the heartbeat through the doppler every time I had a doctor's appointment past 10 weeks. Everything was healthy and the heartbeat was always very strong. At my 20 week ultrasound, they discovered that my baby boy's heartbeat had stopped. I had to deliver him stillborn. Although I know this is a bit different, I believe you absolutely can hear a heartbeat and then it stop.

With my second loss, I went for an early ultrasound at 6 weeks, and the baby's growth was perfect, but the heartbeat and blood flow was not showing. They anticipated a miscarriage, but I came back to check at 7 weeks, and still no heartbeat with the growth shrinking this time. That's how I knew. I never saw the baby's heartbeat with this second loss.

We did testing on both my husband and me, but it is not a standard thing with one first trimester miscarriage. However, you could still check into it. I have two blood clotting mutations that probably, but not definitely, caused the losses, more likely the late loss. They cannot give a definite cause, and often times you never know.

Your sweet baby is in heaven with my two babies. I wish you the best with your next pregnancy.

BabyFetus Ticker *Baby Aiden: Silently Born on 11-26-08. *Baby #2: M/C on 4-12-09. *Genetic Testing Found MTHFR & PAI1 4G/5G *TTC Baby #3 Since July of 2009: -Fertility Treatments April 2010-February 2011 (Femara, Proverra, Clomid, HCG Trigger, FSH Injectibles, & IUI, as well as Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy Surgery) *BFP: Febraury of 2011. Baby due 10-24-11!!! :-) ***Baby Angels- Always in Mommy & Daddy's Hearts & Prayers*** ***Prayers For Growing Baby In Belly To Be Healthy***
  • Thanks for all of your responses.  It's hard to believe I found out a month ago today that we miscarried.  I would be 16 weeks. 

My husband and I are going to try again as soon as I have a period (which hasn't happened yet).  I am hoping this will happen soon (it will be 4 weeks after my D&C on the 8th)

• I miscarried at 32 weeks 5 days. The doctor took the placenta and sent it to a pathology lab to see what may have caused it, he decided not to do an autopsy because everything organs wise had been perfect before the death. I decided not to do an autopsy personally...more so because it wouldn't bring my baby back, his twin brother is perfectly healthy and the answer is most likely in the placenta.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • we saw the HB at our first appointment (8.5 wks,) but I was measuring a week behind.  I m/c at 10.5 wks.
  • With my first m/c, we saw a heartbeat at 6w5d, and then again at 7w5d after the bleeding started. I m/c at 8w1d. This time around, no heartbeat at all, just stopped growth at 6w.

We didn't do testing the first time. It was a natural m/c and my first loss. This time around we'll do whatever testing we can,

Mommy to Alden, born May 19, 2007 - best birthday present ever! natural m/c October 20, 2008 at 8w1d BFP April 4, 2009! Missed m/c discovered May 1, 2009 D&C May 12,2009 BFP March 3, 2010 Chemical pregnancy BFP May 25, 2010 Elias Derek born January 26, 2011! Surprise BFP October 24, 2012 Missed m/c confirmed Nov 26 D&C Nov 30 Surprise BFP February 13, 2013
  • Yes :(.

In our first pregnancy we didn't see a hb but the doctors assume there was one because when we discovered the m/c at 10 and a half weeks the baby was measuring about 9.

This pregancy I lost a twin that I had seen a perfect heartbeat for 3 times (at 6, 7, and 8 weeks).  At 10 weeks the baby measured a little over 9 weeks :(.

I'm so sorry for your loss!

We never had testing.  For the first because it was the first miscarriage they consider it a "fluke" or "bad luck" and testing wasn't even offered (and I didn't know enough to ask).  This pregnancy we didn't take care of the miscarriage because of the other baby so my body resorbed the tissue and there will be nothing to test when my other baby is born.

If we were to miscarry again in the future I would definitely have RPL done because it would be #3.

• Hi there,

First, I wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss. I miscarried my first. I had a missed m/c diagnosed at 13 weeks. Baby stopped growing around 10 1/2 weeks. We had seen the heartbeat on an u/s, ad heard it twice on the doppler.

I had a d&c, and they tested the baby's tissue. Our baby had triploidy: a whole extra set of chromosomes. It was a fluke thing, not inherited, so no further testing was done on DH and I at that time.

Again, I am so, so sorry for your loss...

• I'm sorry for your loss.

With my first pg, we had healthy heartbeats for 27 weeks until one day there just wasn't one. There was no warning and all early bloodwork for risk assessment was normal - but it ended up that he had Down Syndrome. 

WIth my 2nd pg, we saw a slow heartbeat at 7w (measured 6w, so I knew something wasn't right to begin with). A few days later the baby still measured about the same and the heartbeat was slower, so we knew (basically) that it would m/c. 

I never had a D&C, just a vaginal delivery and a natural m/c. Because the first baby had Downs and it was just a fluke, we can assume that the 2nd loss was also a fluke - of a different kind. There was no testing done on the 2nd baby.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Hi there! Unfortuantely for us, we saw the baby on the u/s along with a perfectly beating heart two hours before I miscarried (at 15 weeks). It was devastating!  I guess miscarriage is so spontaneous, it can happen anytime!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Our doctor believes he knows why it happened (incompetent cervix), so when I see him on Thursday we are going to talk about what we can do next time. From what I've heard from others, it's difficult to sometimes pinpoint the cause. I hope you get some answers!

• Had a good heartbeat at 6wk went back at 10wks- no heartbeat and had a missed m/c.  I was scheduled for a d/c the next day. 
    From miscarriages, a diagnosis of a bicornuate uterus, and fibroid removal surgery...It's been quite the journey but it was all well worth it. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JenyMJenyM member

yes i heard and saw hb at 6w1d and went back at 10 weeks and it had stopped growing at 6w3-4d. I did have genetic testing which showed an abnormality.

I also know irl plently of people that m/c after seeing and hearing a hb. 

BFP#1 missed m/c-d&c 10/27/08, BFP#2 BO-natural m/c 5/15/09, BFP#3 8/12/09-DS born 4/2010, BFP#4=TWINS-missed m/c&d/c 6/15/11, BFP#4 11/22/11- please stay with me
  • yes, hb seen and heard on doppler on first and seen on second.

we had tests and we're normal.

i am convinced that progesterone was my issue for both m/cs. i say this b/c i've been charting and have a short luteal phase and have had progesterone draws. i had progesterone tested at 6wks pregnant and it was very low. we started supplements but it was too late to help. it's no guarantee that i'll help next time but at least i'll have that peace of mind.?

second "products of conception" were tested, chromosomally normal male. which is another reason i'm convinced it was progesterone deficiency.?

?i'm sorry for your loss. you are in a great place for support and advice, etc.?

• A lot of us have.  I watched baby #3 & #4 growing with healthy little heartbeats for several weeks.....then one day it just stopped.  Sorry for your loss.
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• I saw a healthy heartbeat at 9 weeks, and then at my 12 week appt, the dr. told me the baby had stopped growing at 9 weeks, 5 days, so literally just days after seeing the heartbeat, my baby passed. It's so hard to grasp, but you just have to accept that it happens when it happens, even if it's RIGHT after you see the heartbeat, it's unbelievable sometimes. So sorry for your loss, hang in there and GL sweetie, hugs
  • DrDPMDrDPM member
    So, so sorry for your loss. We saw the heartbeat at 8 weeks also, and everything was perfect. I had a m/c at 13 weeks. We already have a son and daughter, so there wasn't a need to do testing on me or DH. Our little one had Turner's syndrome, which is a random chormosomal abnormality, so no genetic link - just horrible luck.
  • We saw the heartbeat at 8w, and then I started spotting a week and a half later, and the next U/S showed that the baby had died.  It was so unexpected and overwhelming. 
  • i was reading your response to this post and saw that we have a very similar sittuation, and i wanted to encourage you and ask you some questions if you dont mind.

we miscarried our first around 10 weeks but didnt find out until 14 weeks. we had an early second loss at around 6-7 weeks and right now i am at home a week in waiting to loose our third baby at 12 weeks tommorow (we found out last week when i insisted on going in because i was feeling very similar to our first loss...no prego symptoms all the sudden).

anyhow, my encouragement would be that before this most recent pregnancy, we had a perfect pregnancy and we have a wonderful!!! 1 year old daughter! of course i was so nervous in the pregnancy, but God is so good and here we are. there is hope. i know it is sooo discouraging and there is nothing like loosing your first. i am so sorry for you.

secondly, my questions would be about testing. my dr seems to think that the late misscariages im having along with my body holding onto the babies and my levels being great, are pointing towards possible genetic problems, and wants us to go through a bunch of genetic testing (we have already had the basic tests all done the first time and they are fine). did you guys have genetic tests? are you looking into it? im just not sure what i think. i guess the dr was saying that if its genetic with one of us it means that each time we put together a baby there is a 50/50 chance it was done right...which would explain our daughter. i guess im just feeling like we will have to go through crazy testing and maybe iv, or keep getting pregnant and trying out the first trimester!

isnt it the worst!

anyhow, i would love to hear waht you think. thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"