1st Trimester

Unisom/Vitamin B6.... Any Advice?

I just recently began getting the not just morning sickness, but all day nausea to the point where I try to make myself vomit. It is the most horrible feeling that I have experienced, and to top it off I have GERD (basically like an acid reflux) that just tops it off.

I have tried A TON of different remedies, ginger ale, tums, crackers, water, sports drinks... nothing seems to alleviate the nausea. A few friends and co-workers have suggested taking Unisom and Vitamin B6 at night before bed. Supposably this helps with nausea in the morning as well as helps you sleep at night? I got 30 minutes of sleep last night, I feel terrible. Help! Please!

Re: Unisom/Vitamin B6.... Any Advice?

• I personally would not take Unisom because that's a sleeping pill - I don't think those are okay for you at all. ?Maybe take a Benedryl? ?Those things knock me out, and I know they're safe. ?Good luck. ?:(
  • This is exactly what I take.  I sleep 110% better at night!  Caution:  when I took the whole unisom pill I would have a bad hangover the next day, so I only take half and it works very well without the hangover the next day.  It does not totally alleviate the nausea the next day but at least you will get some sleep.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Run it by your doc, but those were the active ingredients in a m/s drug that was effective but pulled off the market (for political reasons, not safety or efficacy reasons).  Both should be safe.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Definitely run it by your doc first, but when my sister was pregnant with her twins her dr. okayed 1/2 a pill of unisom before bed. It worked wonders for her. As always with sleeping medication just make sure you can dedicate the appropriate amount of hours to sleep.

Good luck!

• That is what my doc told me to take when I was pregnant with DD.  They told me to take only half the Unisom, probably for the same reason pp said.  I had HORRIBLE m/s and I don't think it really helped me so I just gave up after a few days, but its certainly worth a try.  Everyone is different, it just might be the ticket for you!
  • I get all day sickness too.

Take your vitamins right before bed. B6 is great. Get a jar of 50mg.

Take 50mg. in the AM, 50 with lunch, 50 with your PNV and 50 if/when you get up to pee in the middle of the night!

• I am using the Unisom/B6 combo. It is not 100% effective, but it's the best thing I have tried (and I've tried everything, including Zofran--the Unisom/B6 combo is actually safer than Zofran). The med in Unisom plus B6 used to be the active ingredients in Bendectin, which was available in the 1970's/early 80's and as pp stated taken off the market due to a scare, not actual safetly issues.  Check with your dr first; and make sure you are using the basic Unisom, not the extra strength, once you have their approval.. My dosage is one tablet of Unisom with 50mg of B6 at night. You can also add a 1/2 table of unisom with 25mg of B6 2xs a day, but not recommended if you work or need to drive because the unisom can/will make you drowsy. I find if I take the Unisom around 7:30/8pm at night, I am fine by the time my alarm goes off at 6:15am. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok, first of all, don't pay attention to the pp...unisom and B6 are perfectly safe to take during pregnancy.  However, do not take the gelcaps of unisom those are not safe because they have different active ingredients than the little blue pill.  Anyway, It's what I've been using and has helped a ton.  Here's the dosing schedule I follow:

AM:  50 mg B6 + 1/2 unisom

mid-afternoon:  50 mg B6 + 1/2 unisom

Bedtime:  50 mg B6 + whole unisom

I do not get that sleepy taking 1/2 unisom during the day.  I'm sure if I took it and laid down that I would fall asleep.  But since I'm at work and I'm pretty active, I just get a little sleepy but not can't keep my eyes open tired.

I find that my morning sickness is directly related to how I've slept the night before.  So, if you've only had 30 minutes of sleep last night than you will probably feel like crap today no matter what you do.  Take the unisom and B6 tonight and you'll probably feel a ton better tomorrow.

I was the BEST mom....until I became a mother. Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have been doing this, but I take 50 mg B6 about 9 am and 50 mg B6 + 1/2 Unisom at about 9 pm. Don't just go out and grab a box of Unisom tho, because there are a couple different formulas and there's some that we can't take. As many PP said, talk to your doc first.
  • The pp's are right about unisom/b6  having been the ingredients in a very effective ms pill that was taken off the market in 1983 due to political reasons (it has been manufactured since 1953 and has NEVER been found to have any bad effects.  I'm in Canada and we still use this drug (under the name Diclectin).  It is used all over Europe too.  I'm on it, and I have to say it works very well...it's not perfect, but it has helped so much!  The big difference between taking the unisom/b6 combo and actually having the prescription is that the Diclectin is time released, which makes it more effective over time. 
  • Okay so I tried the unisom last night - haven't used the B6 yet. I chopped the pill in half, planning to take just one half. But then my idiotic self didnt listen to my instincts, took both halves, and woke up every hour with a pounding heartbeat and dizzyness.

Only half a pill tonight for me. Still debating on this b6 stuff. But I must say - I woke up feeling much better, and I was able to eat a bit of breakfast this morning. hoooray!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"