Baby Showers

What's considered "too involved" with your own baby shower?

I want an outdoor space, but feel bad voicing that? or any other ideas.

I'm a party planner by nature and I want the shower to sort of embrace my style.

Re: What's considered "too involved" with your own baby shower?

• If its presented as an option, I would voice my opinion....

However if no one is discussing locations with you, then I think it's best not to say anything...

• tell the host.  if they can accomodate you they probably will..
  • Loading the player...
  • I did all the research and booked the location myself. I have 2 girlfriends that are planning the shower but I am just like you...a party planner by nature.

Knowing that, they have been very open letting me be involved in decorations, menu planning, and game choices. I have backed off a little but they know I want to be involved... 

Just be honest and let them know how you feel. 

• In the end, I don't think it matters how involved you are as long as you meet these 2 criteria:

1- your involvement doesn't make it more expensive for the people throwing it, or too complicated for them.

2- the guests don't know about your involvement.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• If you are a planner then I think they would ask you. If it comes up in casual conversation then mention it - especially if you have a free place you can get them or a deal only you can get.

Otherwise - don't micromanage.

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think there is a such thing as being to involved in your shower!
  • Hey  There,

I am also a planner adn have thrown a ton of baby showers, I am the one everyone comes to to plan events amongst my fam and friends and I have a different style and so my team of host are aware of my desires and opinions.  They actually asked me to make a list of all my input, dislikes, ideas, etc. and that they would take car of the rest......The main thing is that they consider you personalty.  So I say if your hotess are family or friends they shouldn't have a problem with your input becasue after all they know you are a "planner."  But after you voice you input , step back and let them do the rest......

• I hosted a shower for a party planner and I must tell you that it stressed the hell outta me.

She knows who you are. ?She knows what you do. ?She will likely work her butt off to make it a nice shower for you.

As far as a venue - that's really the host's decision. ?If there was a conversational way to bring it up perhaps but I would not flat out tell her "I was thinking someplace outdoors would be nice!" ?

It's her budget that she needs to work within. ?

I'm sure it's super hard to let go of this considering your profession but it really is best to ask her how you can be of help and go from there. ?If she wants you more involved she'll open that door. ?If she says "I really want to do something nice for you for a change. ?Just give me the guest list and leave the rest to me." then that's what you should do.?

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • I understand that it is a big no-no to host your own shower, yada yada yada. But doesn't it just make so much sense to have it at your house if you have the space for it?! I mean, you have to lug everything back there anyway!

We don't have the space for it anyway, but if we did, I would ask my mom to just throw it at our place.

• I think if they ask for your advice or your input, and you're able to keep it under control (AKA. don't micromanage) you can surely give your preferences or opinions.

-FWIW as an example, my sister asked me if I had any preferences with decorations/ color/ theme. I told her "no umbrellas"  - she asked what I thought of bugs, and I said cute, but whatever you want to do! 

• imageMamaTully:

I understand that it is a big no-no to host your own shower, yada yada yada. But doesn't it just make so much sense to have it at your house if you have the space for it?! I mean, you have to lug everything back there anyway!

We don't have the space for it anyway, but if we did, I would ask my mom to just throw it at our place.

Just to clarify, hosting your own shower is not about it being at your house. Having it in your home is fine in my book; it's who is planning it and inviting people, etc. If you do it all yourself, it's very selfish and gift-grabby.

OP, if you're comfortable with your hostesses and know they're trying to think of ideas of where to host it (i.e., they didn't specify it'd be at one of their homes when they offered to throw you one), you could casually mention that an outdoor shower would be pretty. I'd leave it at that though and not mention specify restaurants or anything.

• LMS05LMS05 member

I went a shower once and my friend (the mom-to-be) is a total control freak. She planned the entire shower from what games were going to be played to the decorations. It was a gorgeous shower, but the entire time I kept thinking how tacky it was of her to do that.?

I had zero involvement in my bridal showers and I will do the same with my baby shower. Let me know the location and time and I'll be there!?

• That's up to the hostess.  If the hostess asks for your opinion, absolutely go ahead and state a preference.

But if not asked, zip it.

• Ditto Roxy.

A shower is a gift to you.  Don't dictate how your present is wrapped.

• Mention to the hostess that you found a great location IF she is interested.  You could let her know you are really interested in being involved if it is OK with her.  If she wants to do it all on her own then your SOL.
  • imagemrs.ataylor:

Hey  There,

I am also a planner adn have thrown a ton of baby showers, I am the one everyone comes to to plan events amongst my fam and friends and I have a different style and so my team of host are aware of my desires and opinions.  They actually asked me to make a list of all my input, dislikes, ideas, etc. and that they would take car of the rest......The main thing is that they consider you personalty.  So I say if your hotess are family or friends they shouldn't have a problem with your input becasue after all they know you are a "planner."  But after you voice you input , step back and let them do the rest......

I totally agree.  Everybody wants to know what my ideas are.  Whether i'm planning an event for them or they're planning something for me.  I'm the creative one of the group.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"