Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

DO you think progesterone will prolong a miscarriage?

Hi ladies.  I am wondering if any of you were taking progesterone and you think it prolonged your miscarriage?  I am really worried that i am having another miscarriage b/c I started spotting pink this morning.  My boobs also aren't as sore as they were a week ago....  This is the exact same thing that happened to me with my last miscarriage.

I am taking progesterone orally 2 times a day and I am wondering if it will stop my miscarriage from happening.  I won't be able to see my midwife till monday...I am curious what your thoughts are.  Thank you so much

BFP #1 3/99. DD born 12/24/99 BFP#2 8/2008. Missed miscarriage found at 11 weeks, Emergency D&C 10/31/08 BFP #3 1/29/09 Natural miscarriage 2/14 BFP#4 4/24 DD born 12/14/09 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: DO you think progesterone will prolong a miscarriage?

• Options

I really hope that you're not miscarrying, but from what I know the progesterone can't really stop it if it's happening, it might just prevent you from miscarrying naturally as quickly. Does that make sense?

I know my progesterone levels were high and I never bled on my own even though I had a blighted ovum. There was no baby growing, but my body was hanging on to the pregnancy, developing the placenta, etc. I ended up having a D&C.

I don't tell you this to scare you... just passing on my experience.

Is there anyone you can call (advice nurse or doctor?) for some answers or to be seen sooner?

• Options
    imageJamers125:

it might just prevent you from miscarrying naturally as quickly.

I asked my doctor this and he said it could.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Please don't just taking your progesterone. ?I spotted early in pregnancy and nothing was wrong. ?Stopping the progesterone could cause you to miscarry. ?Instead, go get an ultrasound. If you are indeed m/cing and I pray you aren't then your physician will tell you what to do.
    Beautiful Miracle Baby lost at 21 weeks due to pre-term labor and incompetent cervix. FET#1 BFN, FET#2 BFP, early loss. FET#3 BFN. IVF#2 BFFN. FET #4 BFP after removing bilateral hydrosalpinx and 3 months of lupron depot. Sticky Bun is here!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    xnbridexnbride member

I have been wondering this myself since usually I have warning signs that tell me that something is not right.  I guess we will both just need to stay positive and hope for the best.  Your numbers look great.

My symptoms vary day by day.  Yesterday my boobs weren't really sore either and then today they are sore again and I am more nauseous.  It is normal for symptoms to come and go.  With Ethan I hardly had any symptoms and they kind of peaked at 8 weeks. 

Hang in there.  

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options
    xnbridexnbride member

check out this study.  Based on your numbers you have a 95-100% chance of making it past the 20 week mark (which basically means a successful pregnancy)

https://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/mycommunity/viewtopic.php?t=8449

Now those are some good odds!! 

Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• Options

I begged my dr to put me on the supplements, but she refused. She said it would be pointless if the pregnancy would end and it would prolong the loss....plus, my level was not low....She saud that if the fetus had a heartbeat, then she would put me on progesterone(which it did not)

Rose

3 m/c's

• Options
    xnbridexnbride member
    imagerose76:

I begged my dr to put me on the supplements, but she refused. She said it would be pointless if the pregnancy would end and it would prolong the loss....plus, my level was not low....She saud that if the fetus had a heartbeat, then she would put me on progesterone(which it did not)

Rose

3 m/c's

Unfortunately it was probably too late for the supplements at that stage in the game.  I would find another doctor who is willing to give it to you before you even get a BFP.  You should ideally start taking it before implantation (which is about 3dpo) to ensure proper lining and implantation.  I am so sorry to hear of your losses.  I know how discouraging it is.  I hope that your next pregnancy is a successful and stress free one.

• Options
    My baby stopped growing at 6 weeks.  The first Dr appt I had was at 11 weeks and that is when we discovered that the baby had died 5 weeks earlier.  Because of the progesterone my body never recognized that the baby wasnt alive.  In fact, my HCG levels were very high and were actually the levels they were suppose to be at 11 weeks.  Dr said had I stopped taking the prog then I would miscarry eventually but it would take a while.
    Mom to A bouncy 4 year old boy A high spirited 2 year old girl And a sweet 11 week old baby girl
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"