Baby Names

Do you have a horrible last name?

I do.  It's 14 letters, 6 syllables, and impossible to spell or pronounce.

Not PG yet, but when we have kids, I've resigned myself to the fact that their names must be short, simple, and easy to spell and pronounce.  Which is hard, because that sort of leaves us with "boring" names.  Sad

If you have a difficult last name, what's your plan?  Simple name?  Or screw it, name them whatever you want, last name be damned?

Re: Do you have a horrible last name?

• LMS05LMS05 member
    I'm the opposite of you. Ours is short (1 syllable). I love short names like Jack, Kate, Claire, Paige, etc.. and they sound stupid with our last name.?
  • Yes. Mine's a very old German last name and people butcher it often.

My children will have strong, easily spelled names to make their lives a little easier. I am going to try and give my sons shorter first names since they have to carry around the last name forever. 

Blank!
  • Loading the player...
  • my maiden name is awful- akward to pronounce-

but I love my married name-  easy to pronounce sounds familiar-

• imagemiss_beckman:

my maiden name is awful- akward to pronounce-

but I love my married name-  easy to pronounce sounds familiar-

• it's not bad, saunders. the only problem is i can't use any name that begins or ends with an S.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine isn't too long, it's just embarassing! Think "PrettyDick" or "LovelyWang". Lots of teasing in store for this LO.
  • My last name starts with a long eee sound.  So names ending with ie, ee, or y all sound weird.
  • My maiden name was one syllable, and 5 letters. My married name is ?three syllables, ten letters long, ?and is often mistaken for a similar sounding name that is more common than ours. It's not awful to pronounce, but I think we'll pick shorter names to go with it so that they aren't a mouthful.

It's hard though too, because I love some longer names, like Rebecca, Charlotte, and Benjamin -but I am not sure if we will use those as first names or not. We might do it anyway I do like some short names too though, like Ian or Grace.

One name I love is Isaac-but our last name begins with a hard C. I can't decide how much that bothers me. ?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My married name is a hard one to carry.  It took me a year and a half after being married to finally change my name.  I went from a strong, English/Irish name to one that means "to rot."  I wear it with some pride (defiance, maybe?) now, as all those with funny/embarassing last names do eventually, but I really envy people with names like "Johnson" or "Moore."

Anyway, to finally get to your question, YES, we are very careful about choosing names.  This kid will have to scrap enough on the playground to defend his surname, we dont want to name him "Wolfgang" on top of all that.

• Both my maiden and married names were/are pretty bad.  They're both Dutch and non-phoenetic.  My married last name is 11 letters long and 4 syllables, so yes, I've been conscious of giving our baby a shortish name.  For a while, I really liked Kiersten.  But her middle name has to be Nicole, so that'd give her a total of 20 letters! 

Now, some of my favorite names are simpler: Lucy, Molly, Levi, Micah. 

natural m/c 6-1-09 @9 weeks, Lucy born 5-11-10, m/c (D&C)1-24-12 @10 weeks Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ours rhymes with a derogatory word and it's very noticeable Tongue Tied cest la vie!
  • My maiden name was horrible, 11 letters and difficult to pronounce and I have an unusual first name. I dont think that all short names are boring.
  • imagemrsekins:
    My last name starts with a long eee sound.  So names ending with ie, ee, or y all sound weird.

Mine too.  And my name is Toni, so when said fast together, I swear it sounds like a sneeze.

My maiden name was short and simple - Wills.  But it was ALWAYS mistaken for Willis.  Drove me up the freakin' wall.  I'd even spell it for people, but they hear what they want, not what I said and it would still get misspelled with the extra i.

• Not horrible, just very unusual & IMPOSSIBLE to pair first names with because people always comment on our last name. I threw all my favourite baby names in the trash & had an Abigail because nothing else worked.
  • We've got a tough last name - 4 syllables, italian and means "bearded rooster" - lol.

So be it - I named one DD Liliana...so she's got 4 syllables for each name and I've got to spell it all the time!  But, I think it's gorgeous and has lots of short nicknames.

Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"