Baby Names

Charleigh for a girl?

What is your thought on the name Charleigh for a girl? Would you spell it like that or Charli, Charlee, or Charley? For a middle name I was thinking Grace or something more feminine. TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Charleigh for a girl?

• Personally, I'd go with the spelling of Charlie because it's how most people will want to spell it.  But I don't think I'd use it as a formal name for girl (actually for a boy for that matter).  It's a little to nicknamey for my tastes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a friend with a little girl names Charleigh.  I love it...we thought there would be confusion for her but so far so good...she is now 4 yrs old.  Her middle name is Elizabeth so very girly.  I like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • star678star678 member

It's really nms at all. 

I would never use this as the formal name.  Using Charlotte or Charlene with the nn Charlie is much cuter.

Charleigh makes me want to say "shar-lee" instead of "charlie"

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • iluvtomiluvtom member
    I love it but I like it spelled like Charli, We were considering until someone made an off color comment about it..I still love it
  • Charlotte would be lovely.

"Charleigh" is a mayd-up baybeigh nayme.

• imageRoxyLynn:

Charlotte would be lovely.

<---this
  • I used to teach a Charlie Ann. I always thought it was a cute name. It's nms at all though.
  • cabana1cabana1 member
    Sorry, I really dislike Charlie for a girl. Your spelling just makes it worse! Now, I do think it is a "cute" nn for a girl, but not for a first name.
  • I don't like Charleigh at all. I agree with the pp that there should be a formal name and Charlie could be a nn.

Blank!
  • rc1276rc1276 member

Name her Charlotte and call her Charlie if you must. Charleigh is made up and will lead to confusion (and your poor daughter having to spell her name every day for the rest of her life).

• EXL311EXL311 member
    I really dislike the name Charlie for a girl even as a nickname.  I just don't see how it's feminine at all.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I wouldn't use Charlee or any of the variations as a first name. I'd go with Charlotte or something similar and use Charlie as a nickname.
  • imageRoxyLynn:

This exactly. LOL.

• I think it is DARLING!  I think your spelling makes it feminine...CUTE CUTE CUTE!
  • imageRoxyLynn:

YesYesYes
  • imageRoxyLynn:

this!!

• i had a friend growing up named "charlie," but that was her nickname. not her given name. and charleigh just looks terrible imo. sorry
  • imageRoxyLynn:

Thumbs up. ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would spell it Charlie so she's not spelling her name for the rest of her life.  How it "looks" doesn't matter, it's the same name.  Make it easy on her (take it from someone who has spelled their name for everyone!).

A feminine, girly middle name would be nice.  Grace or Rose would be nice.

• My friend named her daughter Cherlize (Like the actress) and they call her Charli- super cute

• After I read Firestarter as a kid, I tried to get my parents to call me Charlie (after the main character).  I still love it as a nickname for a little girl, but agree that it's better as a nickname for Charlotte.
  • CHARLI.

I'm only slightly partial to that spelling...as it's my name.

For some reason I just see Charlemagne when I see Charleigh spelled out like that...

Altho I will tell you this, spell it any way other than Charlie, and people are going to be spelling it wrong forever. Take it from me. Even some of my closest friends spell my name wrong.

• I really don't get why having to spell your name for everyone is such a big deal.  I'm Jaye and people always spell is Jay or Jae when I tell them there's an "e" at the end.  It doesn't really bother me.

With that being said, I do like Charleigh, but I like Charlotte better and calling her Charli for short.  But if you really love Charleigh I think that's a great spelling and very cute.

• P.S. To all the people who say name her Charlotte and call her Charli - get bent. My legal name is Charlotte and it just complicates things when you have two names like that. Everyone knows you by one thing and your legal docs say something else. Kind of like calling a child by his or her middle name...

So if you're going to call her Charli from the get go, name her that!

• LMS05LMS05 member
    I really dislike Charleigh or any variation for a girl. It's very little boy to me. I love Charlotte though.?
  • I also like Charlie as a nn for a little girl, but really dislike your spelling.?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers imageimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kyna81kyna81 member
    I love it.  I like the spelling too!  I agree with the very few pps.  I think you should go with it.  Its very feminine the way you spelled it and if you are going to call her Charleigh, name her that!  I don't like nicknames.  And weren't all names made up at some point and time?  If you like it, use it.Yes
  • To me, Charlie is a nickname for Charles, which is a boy name.  I love Charlotte, though...

• imagecoryandrobin25:

What is your thought on the name Charleigh for a girl? Would you spell it like that or Charli, Charlee, or Charley? For a middle name I was thinking Grace or something more feminine. TIA!

I think it will be pronounced Shar-lee.  

It is SO nms, and I don't care for it at all as a formal name.  As a nickname for something like Charlotte, sure.  Not on it's own.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• tct1219tct1219 member
    it's ok, too trendy for me. i would also use it only as a nn. and definitely spell it charlie.
  • imagecharlishinn:

P.S. To all the people who say name her Charlotte and call her Charli - get bent. My legal name is Charlotte and it just complicates things when you have two names like that. Everyone knows you by one thing and your legal docs say something else. Kind of like calling a child by his or her middle name...

So if you're going to call her Charli from the get go, name her that!

Or . . . not.

So you don't like nicknames.  Noted.

I, on the other hand, I love that I have a long name with many nicknames and wasn't stuck as Lizzy (hideous name that doesn't suit me at all) all my life.  I was pleased to have an 'adult' version of my name to use professionally.

Bottom line is the OP will do whatever she wants anyway.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• I *hate* alternate spellings. I think they look ridiculous. If you want to name your daughter Charlie, spell it Charlie.
  • kallen6kallen6 member
    I like the spelling Charleigh, also I have a friend named Charlee, and her nn was Char, so I love that spelling too.
  • I like the spelling Charlie better but its nms as a girl name. I agree it would make a better nickname.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"