Working Moms

What is your cleaning schedule?

I know everyone says "Let the housekeeping fall by the wayside, there are more important things" but I am getting to the point where my messy house just stresses me out and makes me depressed.  We usually do a big clean on the weekends that lasts through Wednesday or so, but I don't want to spend the entire weekend cleaning!  Right now I crash after I get DD to bed and fix/clean up dinner, but I think if I had something specific and repetitive in mind I could get it done.  (i.e., "It's Tuesday, clean the bathroom" etc.)Does anyone have a good schedule with major tasks split up throughout the week, or should I just give up and hire a maid?? Stick out tongue
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: What is your cleaning schedule?

• We have a cleaning lady who comes every other week and it is awesome! I totally hear you about after you put DD to bed you are beat, me too!  Not having to worry about really cleaning, but just straightening up is huge for us....just hire someone and stop stressing!Big Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have tried doing a little cleaning each day and doing a big Saturday clean. When we do a major clean on the weekend it only takes 1-2 hours and if we try really hard we can keep it clean all week. This isn't including laundry though. I work on it all weekend. I didn't like doing a little each day because I was never done. There was always more to do. We are getting ready to move so everything is a mess right now. I think once we get settled I will have a laundry schedule - Mondays I was whites, etc. - and still do a big clean on the weekend.

I would love to hire a maid, but we really can't afford it. If you can afford it, it would be a big help. Even if they only came every other week.

• Loading the player...
  • I hired a cleaning service right before DD was born and honestly, it's a lifesaver.  We have them come every other week.  The only thing I have to worry about is tidying the kitchen up after dinner and the laundry. 
  • if you can afford it, cleaning lady is the way to go - we straighten up, and our cleaning lady comes every Thursday.
  • I love our cleaning lady. She comes every other week, although there are some weeks when the straightening up for her kills me because I've given up a little too much during the week.

I am lucky that I work from home so I can usually spend 30 minutes during the day straightening. I've also opted, one night a week, to pick DD up at daycare a little later so I can at least do a quick spit and shine so the mess doesn't stress me out.

I usually empty the dishwasher in the morning when we're eating breakfast.
    DH and I split laundry. He usually starts the wash, and I put it in the dryer during the day. Folding and ironing don't usually happen.

I try to straighten one room before I go to bed, but lately, have been going straight to bed once DD is down.

DH will do what I ask, but isn't great at doing things on his own or with any sense of urgencey unfortunately.

• The only cleaning chores on my list are the kitchen, laundry, and tidying up the bedroom. 

DH and I pretty much make sure dirty dishes always go straight into the dishwasher, so they don't pile up in the sink, which helps a lot.  Also, whenever I cook, I wash the pots & pans right away because it's so much easier than waiting until crap is gunked on.  DH wipes the counters & stove down with bleach every Sunday.

We do laundry two or three times a week.  I always do the baby laundry whenever I have enough for a load.  DH usually does the regular laundry, but I fold it on Sunday, otherwise it just sits in baskets.

We have tile floors everywhere except the carpeted bedrooms.  I vacuum MAYBE once a month.  I'm terrible about that.  I sweep the kitchen whenever I notice giblets.

DH does all the house maintenance (mowing, trimming, powerwashing, etc.)

• I don't have a schedule, I just kind of clean things as needed. I vacuum the most b/c of our dog and ds leaves a trail of crumbs behind him wherever he goes, lol. But aside from that, if it's dusty, I'll dust. If the bathrooms are starting to get yucky, I'll clean them. I'm good about cleaning up messes/spills when they happen so it doesn't get too bad. But deep cleaning I don't usually have time for. And I don't want to spend all my free weekend time doing it! I've learned to lower my standards since having ds. My house just isn't going to be immaculate with a toddler, and a baby come the fall! 

I'm too exhausted to do things during the week. by the time ds is in bed, I'm ready to put my pj's on and relax. The most I do is wash/fold a load of laundry and make sure the kitchen is cleaned up.

• DH and I split a big cleaning session on Saturday mornings.  I do the bathrooms/kitchen, and he does the floors.  We touch up during the week but that's about it. 
    Nathan Thomas, C-section (frank breech), September 22, 2008 Maren Anne, VBAC, April 6, 2010 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"