Georgia Babies

Buckhead or Midtown?

Hi all, I've posted on here a couple of times about our move to Atlanta and plans to start a family. Someone else beat us to the Loring Heights house, so we won't be moving there.

We're now between two places in Buckhead and Midtown. The Buckhead townhouse is right near DH's work and down the street from Publix and Phipps. It's brand new, is gated, and has a 2-car garage. Oh, and I'm *planning* on CD-ing and water is included in the rent.

The Midtown house is old and has no garage, but has a ton of character and you can walk to Piedmont Park and a bunch of restaurants.

Where would you want to be with a new baby and a DH who travels 4 days a week? Thanks again for always being so helpful!

BabyFetus Ticker
It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Buckhead or Midtown?

• Personally, I would pick the townhome in Buckhead because it is gated and has a garage. The location is great. The Midtown location sounds safe, but I wouldn't personally feel safe living in a house there since my DH travels every week for work.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Personally, I would pick the townhome in Buckhead because it is gated and has a garage. The location is great. The Midtown location sounds great, but I wouldn't personally feel safe living in a house there since my DH travels every week for work.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Both locations are great. I'd pick the house with the most space. You'll be surprised at how much stuff you accumulate when you have a kid. Also, if you are going to be right at the Phipps area. There are tons of park that are with 5 miles of your location. I.e. Ashford Park, Lenox Park, etc. Good luck!

• kepkep member
    buckhead
    Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • For safety reasons I would say Buckhead.  Crime is on the rise, and already high, in downtown/midtown area.  My friend's car gets broken into at least once a month without a garage and it is in a gated area.
  • If I had a dh who traveled 4 days a week (oh wait I do, haha) I'd choose the buckhead townhome. It's gated and has a garage. You will be messing with strollers and carseats and you want to do that w/o being a target. I think Buckhead sounds more practical with a baby.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You guys are awesome, this is exactly the information I needed! All you girls with hubbies who travel 4 days a week - we should get together :)

Hope to be on here "officially" soon!?

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Buckhead - I live right near where you are talking about in Brookhaven and love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Personally, I'm torn.  I would say Buckhead for the overall neighborhood, but depending on where the house is in Midtown, it might be a better investment in the long run.  Generally, houses are much better for resale purposes.  That being said, my husband travels during the week for work and we opted for a house in Buckhead.  Our neighborhood is not gated, but I feel perfectly safe living here, which was not the case with our old rent house in Cabbagetown. 

I say go with which ever one is bigger or at the very least, has the most storage.  If you plan on having more than 1 child, you're going to need a place to store things like the bouncer and swing once they've outgrown them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagevirginia&alan:

Personally, I'm torn.? I would say Buckhead for the overall neighborhood, but depending on where the house is in Midtown, it might be a better investment in the long run.? Generally, houses are much better for resale purposes. ?

Crap, I guess I should have specified. We'll be renting for now.?

ETA And the townhouse has the most space by far.?

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • I'm not sure about the value, I think homes in Buckhead/Brookhaven hold their value and are a good investment. But if you are just renting then you should get the bigger, gated one and if you don't like the area you aren't stuck there for forever!
  • Then definitely take the townhouse, you'll really be happy for the extra space!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I say midtown.  I live by myself (my husband is in the army and deployed) across from piedmont park and I love it.  I think the main reason is everyone is so friendly.  My neighbors really do look out for me and its so nice to be able to walk to the park and walk to get coffee/breakfast.  I've had no problems with safety at all, but alot of that has to do with the fact that all my neighbors reall watch out for each other.  Obviously, I'm biased, but I have lived both places.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'd choose the midtown location since your DH travels 4 days a week.  Midtown is so nice.  I much prefer it to Buckhead.

We live in between - by Lindbergh station.

ETA: gated communities are totally false sense of security.  But covered parking is nice in summer w/ the heat, and space is definitely nice.

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • I would say Midtown, mostly because I used to live there and my mom lives right across from Piedmont Park. The fact that you can walk to Piedmont Park is great and I really miss it and you are sooooo close to everything, blockbusters, CVS, two grocery stores, food, great restaurants. The traffic is the only down side since there is a lot of construction on 14th but it is not unbearable. The midtown area is also pretty safe, my moms neighborhood has a great neighborhood watch and safety patrol. It is also family oriented and there is a great neighborhood park near her that is smaller than piedmont but great for kids. I vote midtown just because I lived there for pretty much my whole life, from birth to 10 and then 15 to 23. Love the area, people and everything about it
    Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
  • I would say Midtown too.  The traffic alone in Buckhead is quite heavy.  And to live near Piedmont?  Can't beat it!
  • we love living in midtown.  we walk to the park although it is a little fare because we are near atlantic station.  I love not having to drive.  We can walk to publix too.  For me midtown is so much more pedestrian friendly and that is a HUGE difference for me.
  • Let me preface this by admitting my bias... I am a midtown girl through and through.  I used to work in Buckhead and the traffic is just god awful.  I would hate the have to get around up there with babies in tow, but lots of women do it and love it.  The piedmont park area, however, is really peaceful and neighborhood-y imho.
  • Well dang it, 10 posts ago I thought this was going to be an easy decision! I think we're going to go for the townhome because of the space, but be happy with the Midtown house if the other one falls through.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Either way you can't go wrong.  Traffic is manageable....you learn to work around it.....I think its no better in MIdtown though than buckhead.  My personal vote would be for Buckhead, but I was born and raised in that area.  :-)
  • kepkep member
    Repeat: BUCKHEAD, BUCKHEAD, BUCKHEAD
    Photo by Everything Nice Photography
    My blog
  • imagekep:
    Repeat: BUCKHEAD, BUCKHEAD, BUCKHEAD

I have to agree with this! I know I may be biased as well but with a family I think Buckhead is the way to go - not that Midtown is bad, so you are right that you won't go wrong either way! And traffic is not worse in Buckhead, I don't think traffic is any better in Midtown!

• imageandrea922:

And traffic is not worse in Buckhead, I don't think traffic is any better in Midtown!?

Haha, I must say when I was there on Wednesday, I thought I was going to die in a fiery car crash approximately 4 times in Midtown. Thanks for your help everyone!

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"