Cincinnati Babies
Options

HELP!! Need hotel advice

We had our hotel for our TX trip all booked and I was super excited.  It was a 2 room suite since DS will not sleep with us in the same room.  It has a fully stocked mini kitchen and the rate was a steal.  Well they just called and long story short they don't have that room for us.  They offered a single room suite or the same suite as a smoking room, both at a huge discounted rate.  So what would you do?  Would you risk the room being super smokey or risk DS (and us!) not sleeping?  They said if we chose the smoking room they would put some ionizer thing in it to help get rid of the smoke.  I'm crazily trying to find another hotel, but they are pretty expensive!  UGHHH!
Jennie Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: HELP!! Need hotel advice

• Options
    I would go either way.  I have only been to one hotel where we got a smoking room that was AWFUL!  Usually you really cannot tell.  Good luck in your decision.  Also, if it saves more money, I would go with the single suite and just put DS in the furthest corner if it were me. 
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Options

If you can't find somewhere else, I would probably take the smoking room (although I would hate to!!) since he won't sleep in the same room as you.  It would not be a fun trip if neither Caleb nor you get any sleep!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, we just spent three days at my in-laws usually smoked in home.  They didn't smoke in the house at all while we were there, but everything of ours (and I mean EVERYTHING) smelled of smoke. 

I hope you can find another hotel at a good rate, but if I had to choose between your two options, I would choose the single room.  We did it last summer and it really wasn't too bad.

Good luck!

• Options
    We had to get a smoking room last year on our vacation, and it was AWFUL! Everything smelled of smoke, the walls were yellow. Even once we got home, we could still smell it on our luggage. I would try to find another hotel, or go with the 1 room, and put him in the far corner like pp said. Good luck.
  • Options

Ugh, I feel so bad. We have the same problem-- in hotels, Leah will NOT sleep in the same room if she can see us from our crib (which is everywhere in a hotel room!). Last time, she didn't go to bed until she passed out after 10:00. So I really feel your pain. It was awful.

So....if I were you, and I may be in the minority here, I'd actually take the smoking room. I would demand that the room be ionized and completely cleaned (all the linens, including bedspreads) since they were supposed to have you in a non-soking anyway. Let them know that if you do get in the room and it's not to your satisfaction, they will have to switch you.

FWIW, I have stayed in smoking rooms when there was no choice and only once was I able to tell someone had been smoking.

I will say my decision is based solely on the fact that your sleep at night and the hassle of getting your DS to sleep at night may be worth that risk for a couple of days.

• Options
    Haha, I meant if she could see us from *her* crib, not our crib. DH and I don't stay in a crib, lol.
  • Options
    That stinks!  I really, really hate the smell of smoke, so I'd choose the single room suite.  Maybe you could somehow arrange things so she couldn't see you?  If it's a suite, maybe the room is big enough that you can kind of "hide" her from you.
  • Options

OK, my questions may seem nosy, but...

what brand hotel were you staying in?

which city in Tx?

I used to travel for work ~40%+ of the time and maybe I have another hotel reco.

Also, see if they have any better rooms than the ones that they are offering you and see if you can get them to upgrade you even more.

Explain your dilemma to them and see if they can do anything else. I have found with hotels that the more you push (to a certain extent), the more you can get.

• Options
    Also, you could try Embassy Suites, Hawthorne Suite, Hampton Inn - they all have 2 rooms and kitchenettes.
  • Options
    Homewood Suites also always have two rooms and kitchenettes.
  • Options

Ditto whoever said to ask about the free upgrade. I thought the general rule was that if a business is unable to provide you with the level of service/accommodations you originally asked for then they should be able to upgrade you for no charge. Couldn't hurt to ask.

FWIW, I'm a former smoker and even I would not take the smoking room.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Options
    Can you get two adjoining rooms?  We've done that before when the hotel messed up and gave us a single room suite instead of one with a separate bedroom.  My girls absolutely cannot sleep in the same room with us - plus, we'd have to go to bed ridiculously early.  If your only choices are the single room suite and the smoking two room suite - I'd go with the smoking, personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"