North Carolina Babies

mastitis?

anyone with personal experience with this? I'd been weaning slowly, and dropped the last BF session last week. Yesterday started having pain and hot red area in my breast...so dr thinks I have the beginnings of it...have started antibiotics. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated! I've tried everything to dry up I think....this part of BFing sucks! :(
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: mastitis?

• My sister had a case of mastitis last month, she wasn't in the weaning process though. I don't have any advice except a link to an article on it from Kellymom. Good luck, I hope it clears up quickly!
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I had mastitis for most of Kira's first couple of months.  Antibiotics are key, then just doing all you can (heat, hot water, etc.) to keep the milk moving if possible, and cabbage leaves to stop the pain.  I'm so sorry -- it's torture!  Are your nipples OK?
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh, sorry you have to go through that!  I had mastitis when Liam was 3 weeks old.  The antibiotics were really the key I think.  I also tried nursing and pumping on that side as much as possible to keep the milk moving through, but I'm not sure how that would work for you since you are weaning.  Did your dr mention anything about that?  I would think you might want to pump some on that side to empty it out while the infection clears up, but I'm really not sure.  I hope it clears up quickly for you!
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"