Texas Babies
Options

Tamiflu for babies

Okay, I know swine flu has been talked to death on the baby boards, but this is more of an informational post than "freakout or stay calm" thing.

I am very far from a panicky person, but since we have confirmed cases within the community and it appears that people are beginning to bring their sick kids here from the border for treatment - I feel like I should at least be informed about treatment options.

Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) is normally NOT approved by the FDA for children under 1 year old.  With the latest increase to level 5 by the World Health Organization, the FDA has implemented Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for Tamiflu to allow its use in babies during the outbreak.

Here is a link that has the recommended dosages for children by age for both treatment and prevention of swine flu.  Treatment would be if the child is known to have swine flu, prevention would be if the child is exposed to someone known to have swine flu.  Good to know in case a healthcare provider does not know about the change in approved use.

https://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/childrentreatment.htm

Re: Tamiflu for babies

• Options

imagedawnzer:
    Okay, I know swine flu has been talked to death on the baby boards, but this is more of an informational post than "freakout or stay calm" thing.

I am very far from a panicky person, but since we have confirmed cases within the community and it appears that people are beginning to bring their sick kids here from the border for treatment - I feel like I should at least be informed about treatment options.

Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) is normally NOT approved by the FDA for children under 1 year old.  With the latest increase to level 5 by the World Health Organization, the FDA has implemented Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for Tamiflu to allow its use in babies during the outbreak.

Here is a link that has the recommended dosages for children by age for both treatment and prevention of swine flu.  Treatment would be if the child is known to have swine flu, prevention would be if the child is exposed to someone known to have swine flu.  Good to know in case a healthcare provider does not know about the change in approved use.

https://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/childrentreatment.htm  

Good to know, thanks for posting that. I'm not the least bit worried for myself or my husband but I am concerned for Josh especially since he's in daycare. I'd like to think that parents would use good judgement and not send their children to school/daycare if they are sick but this just isn't always this case.

Josh has a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I'm going to be talking to the pedi about it.

• Options

Thanks for posting!  Obviously my kiddo isn't here yet but it's good to be informed. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm more concerned about my baby's thrush right now than swine flu.  But thanks for posting the info!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks Dawn.

I'm just avoiding taking her anywhere for a while for this reason. It kind of creeped me out when we took her back for her Jaundice check up yesterday and there were all these people walking in and out of the hospital with masks. 

We just covered her carseat with blanket and didn't let anyone near her. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"