Eco-Friendly Family

Need some nanny advice...long

I finally got a nanny to come in and watch our son. The great thing is, she brings her 2yo daughter in to play with my ds. She is doing well, but it is obvious she is not super healthy or earth friendly. (this is week 2)

She is doing the CD thank goodness, but having her daughters disposables in the house took some getting used to (they stink!) She is putting them in the garbage in the garage now!

I think the hardest thing I have found is the whole lunch snack issue. I have a full time job, that I do from home, so I do not have time to always see what my ds is eating. We keep processed snacks in the house, but we only gave them to him sporatically. I bought some also so she would have for her daughter because I know her eating habits. (lots of fast food, micro meals, processed food city)

He used to eat lots of fruits and veggies, applesauce, yogurt, ect... I feel like all day he eats junk. I bought some mini corn dogs and chicken nuggets for a once in a while treat and instead he eats it every day. I also usually only give him water with juice in the morning (he gets bad diaper rashes). I told her no juice and sugar. Yet, I have caught her twice giving him chocolate covered cookies (my hubbie eats) and a piece of cake. I am just like WTF

I don't care what she feeds her daughter, but I want to strip a lot of the crap food back out of his diet. Should I just make a menu? Or, put the food out I want him to eat? Anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Need some nanny advice...long

• Stock only the food you want him to eat. No more junk. If she wants to feed her daughter the food you supply, then she eats what you supply.

The menu sounds like a good idea too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think the same thing too. ?Don't buy anything you wouldn't want him to eat. ?Sadly, for now hide the cookies in your room or something lol

A menu would help too.?

47 months &
    11 months
  • Loading the player...
  • Get rid of all of the food you don't want him eating. She works for you - she needs to follow your rules. You supply the food, so her daughter can eat what you want your son to eat. A menu might be helpful as well. Hide your DH's cookies in your bedroom. Tell her that he is not allowed to have junk food.
  • I agree with the previous posters.  When I nannied - if the parents said snacks can be x or y and lunch can be x or y, that's what I did.  No matter what else was in the pantry.

I think rather than a menu persay (sp?), you could make a list of acceptable breakfast ideas, lunch ideas and snack ideas.  Come up with a good variety and tell her that you are trying to get your DS to eat a variety of foods so please try to avoid feeding the same item in the same day (or couple of days).  That way if your processed snack is on the list, he should only get it once a day or couple of days.

GL!

Mama to two boys and a girl: J (6 yrs), C (4 yrs) and A (4 mo)
    Posts on cloth trainers/PLing
  • i totally agree with not buying the junk. if she wants to feed her daughter crap then she should bring it along.?

i worked as a nanny for a long time. i had a real control freak mommy (and i'm TOTALLY not saying you're a control freak--promise!) who wrote out a list of what i was to feed the kid that day. i think you could do something similar, even if you just called it a suggestion list. like, "i don't expect you to know every item in our fridge, here's what i bought ds to eat this week."

good luck!?

• I can see where it would be confusing to her- you buy snacks for her daughter and you buy things for your son for "once in awhile" but she is supposed to know when and how much of those things your son can eat? If I were her I would assume whatever you bought that my kid could eat would be good enough for your kid.

Just stop buying things you don't want him to eat. Make a basket of snacks that are appropriate for your son and her daughter (if you feel like providing her daughter with snacks, you don't have to), keep cut up fruits/veggies easily accessable and portioned out, etc. I think a list of "suggested snacks" and "suggested lunches" would be fine, even helpful. If she doesn't cook often she may not know what IS healthy for lunches, ya know? 

Maybe make a little binder of meal ideas (with recipes), and snack ideas. 

• I was a nanny, and I appreciated a varied list of approved foods for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  This lets her know what you want.  If the junk food is in the house, she probably assumes it's ok b/c that's what she feeds her LO.  The list lets her know this is not appropriate.  Do not include the junk food on the list as an every now and then treat.  She'll use it more often than you want her to.  You hand it out as you see fit.  If this doesn't work, purge the pantry or the nanny.  You pick. :)

After 3 1/2 years of hope and prayers, our sweet baby girl is here! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was a nanny all through college and now I've had my son either with a nanny or in an at home care place for the past 2 years, so I've been on both sides of the fence.

The number one thing I try to remember, is that no one is going to take care of my son like DH and I do. Even my mom watches him three days a week and there are things DH and I complain about (like junk food, not watering down juice, discipline) and she's one of the best moms I ever knew. So I just try to pick and choose my fights. In my opinion, having my son in the hands of someone who does take good care of him and isn't in a situation with bad influences (like kids stealing his toys or hitting) is my number one concern. Being stimulated is my personal number two. And three is what he's fed, wether they'll use CD, etc.

I'm not a fan of the junk food that DS eats at his at home care. She always mentions how good he eats and I'm just thinking, well of course, it's the only place he gets Kraft mac n'cheese, the sugary yogurt, and a cookie and it's called lunch. But I just let it slide....it's only 2 meals out of the entire week. And he knows that when he gets home, he gets my good food! =)

With my mom, she's never been much of a cook. I grew up on convience foods and she really just doesn't know any better I guess. So for her, I actually make up meals. I have those little rubbermaid containers with the sections. I'll put leftovers in the sections from the night before and then put a note on it to add applesauce or serve with yogurt or something. It's worked great for us.

• I am a nanny.  I think that you should tell her how you feel now!  I would still continue to buy the "non- whole food" but tell her that your child is not allowed to eat it, no exceptions.  And if you wish, ask her that she and her child set a good example by eatting "whole" around your family.  The family I currently work for made a list of acceptable items(when I started).  The kids can only have some things once a week and must have fruits and veggies through the day.  The previous family I worked for asked that only "non-whole" items be eaten while the kids were sleeping.  It wasn't difficult to do.

If she can not follow your house rules look for a new nanny.  She may be nice but there are pleanty of other excellent nannies that would love to eat healthy and bring their child for a playmate.  

But tell her now! GL!!

AP, BWing, BFing, CDing, VBAC, Crunchy Mama to my handsome little 2 year old and squishy newbie! Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Babywearing Leader to the DuPage Slingers www.DuPageSlingers.Blogspot.com
  • if somebody used the term "whole foods" and "non-whole foods" with me I honestly wouldn't know what they meant. I think a list of approved foods and meal/snack ideas is the best/least confusing bet.
  • I'd make a weekly menu, and set things out as much as possible. I'd also clear out most of the Junk. you could maybe put something "fun", like the mini corn dogs on the menu once a week.
  • I would simply not buy things you don't want him to have.  While it's very sweet that you think of her daughter, if she wants to feed her junk, should buy it.  Perhaps if you buy enough good stuff for both of them, it'll be good for her :)  If you want to do that.

Anyhow.  A menu sounds like a great idea, or a list of approved foods.

If there are other things that you or DH like that you don't want DS to have, I would keep a cabinet with a "this cabinet if off limits rule."  Maybe put a note on the door of the cabinet or tie a ribbon to it's handle.  Something to be clear that it's off limits.

I hope it changes rapidly for you.  I'd be really upset too.

• imagecindy453:

I can see where it would be confusing to her- you buy snacks for her daughter and you buy things for your son for "once in awhile" but she is supposed to know when and how much of those things your son can eat? If I were her I would assume whatever you bought that my kid could eat would be good enough for your kid.

Just stop buying things you don't want him to eat. Make a basket of snacks that are appropriate for your son and her daughter (if you feel like providing her daughter with snacks, you don't have to), keep cut up fruits/veggies easily accessable and portioned out, etc. I think a list of "suggested snacks" and "suggested lunches" would be fine, even helpful. If she doesn't cook often she may not know what IS healthy for lunches, ya know? 

Maybe make a little binder of meal ideas (with recipes), and snack ideas. 

This exactly.  It's not fair to her to expect her to read your mind.  Once DS starts eating more things I plan on keeping a list for our nanny.  That way she doesn't have to remember and it's easy for her to know what is ok and what's not since we'll introduce a lot of the new things on weekends when she's not here.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"