Parenting

Hiv and saliva..?

I ask this because I work with at risk kids- many born on drugs, etc. And today I had a highschool student talking to me and a tiny bit of spit hit me right in the lip when he was talking to me.. I wouldn't worry so much if I did not have gingivitis. What are the chances that his saliva had blood in it and is there even a chance of it??

I have severe anxiety.. and this is not helping. I am contemplating gettign tested but can't it take like 10 yrs to get a positive result???

HELP!

Re: Hiv and saliva..?

~Lisa
    Mum to Owen and Lucas Daisypath Wedding tickers>
  • Loading the player...
  • Um, I thought we got past this way of thinking in 1986. Pretty sure you will be fine. 
    Madelyn 3/1/07 image, Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I believe that HIV is a blood-borne disease.  Since, you can't contract it from kisses, I'm sure the little droplet of spit is nothing to worry about:)

• I really think you should stay off this board and seek help. You're not gonna get any better by posting here.
  • 6 months. and one needs to drink a gallon of saliva to be contaminated in such a manner. unless you are having unprotected intercourse or ingesting lots of these people's fluids, you should be safe. hookers get tested every  6 months, so I hear. Perhaps you should do the same?

I think you're in the wrong line of work, though, friend.

• First of all I'm sure you're fine. Tiny amount, not straight into an open cut. Rinse your mouth and teeth well.

Second, HIV is present in saliva. But you need a huge amount of it to transmit. My mum is a dentist and there ARE dentists who have contracted it from their patients but it is VERY rare, and htey were all not wearing gloves and had broken skin.

Again, the amount of saliva a dentist is getting exposed to and a few drops of spit are very different things. 

• BTW BoF ingesting is probably ok as long as you don't have ulcers. Stomach acids kill everything in sight. Its the bloodstream it needs to get into, and I just can't see gingivitis being enough, and as you have pointed out - you need a ton of saliva, not a few drops.
  • And you already asked this question on Health and Fitness board. Some of their answers seemed pretty good.
  • I just worry because I have horrible dental problems..in fact I had a dentist appt an hour after this happened. I went home before and washed my lip off with some mouthwash before hand.. Hopefully nothing got in my mouth because my gums were bleeding bad when the dentist was doing my filling..

• imageDMB2STEP:

I just worry because I have horrible dental problems..in fact I had a dentist appt an hour after this happened. I went home before and washed my lip off with some mouthwash before hand.. Hopefully nothing got in my mouth because my gums were bleeding bad when the dentist was doing my filling..

You're pulling our leg, right?

• imagesummerbrideDC:
    Oh my

I was going to say the same thing. Oy.

• imagebelle204:

imagesummerbrideDC:
    Oh my

I was going to say the same thing. Oy.

This one is too sad for even me to snark on.  Oy.

Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. -Tennessee Williams

You take my ovaries, I take your yarns.
  • imageBrewster:
    Confused

Ditto

Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • ?

Indifferent

Hmm

I almost understood the paranoia about the swine flu, but SERIOUSLY? This question made me smack my forehead.

I ask again...

SERIOUSLY?!?!

• ZenyaZenya member

You really, really need a different job.  And different meds.  It is just not fair to your students.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • To the original poster - I'm sorry that it stressed you out so much, but I really doubt you have anything to worry about.  If you are really stressed about it, I would call your doctor to get his/her opinion to make you feel more relieved.

To everyone else - she is obviously stressed out about it and worried - be nice, kay?  (I just read the happy cooker post and then came to this one and it just hit me the wrong way)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"