Working Moms

SAH Dads?

Any of you working moms have a SAH Dad? ?

Long story short: ?We are TTC and I just took a job in a different state and my H will move up soon. ?We are exploring him working remote (he's IT) but he might not be able to. ?However, we are also considering him as a SAHD when we?conceive?and I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it is going?

Thanks in advance!?

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: SAH Dads?

• Yes and we love it.  It has really worked out well for us.  He does such a great job!
  • Yep.  So far so good!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! ?We're still talking about it but I'm glad to know that it's working out well for you both. :)
  • DH has been a SAHD since January.  Sometimes he misses work and taking care of a baby is a lot harder than he thought (duh!), but he loves taking care of DD.  Overall, it's great. 
  • My DH is a PT SAHD.  He works all day Monday and Tues and Thu afternoons. The rest of the time- he's home w/ DS. 

I love it - i love knowing that DS is spending lots of time w/ dad, and it also fully involves DH in his upbringing. It REALLY REALLY makes me feel like we're a true team in this.

Also, while I was on leave, DH was home a lot, whcih was also really nice.  I really didn't feel lonely because he was home more than he was gone. 

It's been a great experience.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Aw, it sounds so nice! ?:) ?

EastCoastBride: Working part time is something that I hadn't thought of. ?How does that work to only work a few days a week? ?Did he back down from full time to part or did he negotiate these hours in a new job?

I have 2 months off every summer for my academic work schedule so we could be together all the time with the baby those two months. ?Ahhhh, the dream... ?

Thanks for sharing!

• DH is a mostly SAHD.  He works for a MLB team, so he works off in on in the baseball season during games. The rest of the year and pretty much all days he is home alone with DD.  It is a fantastic life.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In case you come back to this- wanted to answer your question:

DH actually tutors at the moment. He used to be an attorney but left the field about 1 1/2 years ago.  Since then, he's been tutoring PT.  That is most likely coming to an end this June and then... we're HOPING he'll find a FT job (great time for this all to happen, right?  :-)). 

So- it was more by chance that he was in this situation.  But it's really great.  My parents come and watch DS when DH has to work - which is great too!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• DH does some work from home on a freelance basis but we don't use any childcare currently, so he is a SAHD and I work 30 hours a week.  He does an awesome job and DD loves the time with her dad!
  • DH is a SAHD. It is really working out well for us. The ladies on here in this situation are very helpful so please don't hestitate to reach out for advice as the time gets closer.

I'm hoping to go to a job share situation in the fall so he can start some freelance work from home. I think that would be ideal for us.

• My DH is a sahd.  He works some freelance part time.  He was self-employed before DD so it was an easy transition from that perspective.

It's taken some time to him to adjust to the demands of full-time childcare (just as it would for a SAHM, i imagine), like not having many breaks or time for yourself (even to go to the bathroom alone) but he is a champ.

My mom comes over and watches DD every Tuesday afternoon and we've also started taking DD to a drop-in childcare coop since she was 17 months old, about 2 mornings a week.  So he works during that time.

it's working out well and I love knowing that she is in the care of my loving co-parent most of the time.

• DH is home with DD by default as well. He got laid off right before she was born so it made more sense to keep him home for a while...he's gone back to finish up his Bachelor's Full-time- when my MIL watches DD. But i can tell you that I rest easily knowing that my daughter is home with the best dad in the World!- Or "Daddy the Entertainer" as I call him.

Go with your gut- Things have a way of working themselves out. I'm sure your DH will be great at as a SAH Dad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"