Baby Showers
Options

Am I crazy? I just replied to another post with this...

Someone had asked "how many people are being invited to your shower"

After reading everyones response and adding mine....it sounds a bit crazy. what do you think?

"Wow...i feel like its being overdone over here. Since we both have large families and our mothers decided to do one huge shower (including my dads long time GF) since our families were friends before, and they both have pretty much the same circle of friends so right now our list is at about 145.

We do Co-Ed showers and include children, so that totals everyone.....

Yikes"

Re: Am I crazy? I just replied to another post with this...

• Options
    Wowzers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And I thought mine was on the big side! That's a lot of people, good luck opening gifts, it's going to take you like 4 hours! Party!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    holy moly!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That is more people than i am inviting to my wedding next year!  WOW
  • Options
    To me it sounds like a lot, but if that is the norm for your family and circle of friends then go with it!

TTC#2 October 2011. June 2012 diagnosed with mild PCOS and both tubes blocked.
    10/1/12 miracle BFP 11/12/12 missed m/c (9w2d), baby stopped growing at 7 weeks
    1/16/13 BFP, EDD 9/27/13, m/c 1/19/13
    imagephoto rainbowleavesbadge-1_zpsa9246b63.jpg
    2/12/13 BFP, EDD 10/25/13 Please stick little one
    A stowaway on board! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think that is awesome your going to have a great shower!!!
  • Options
    I think that sounds like more of a wedding than a shower, but to each their own
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

is that the norm in your culture/area? i think it's fine if so.

I have a good friend who is Indian, her wedding invite list was over 500 ppl, baby shower was 250 and 1st bday party will be about 120, but that is the norm for their culture/family/community.

• Options
    imagegroovygrl:

is that the norm in your culture/area? i think it's fine if so.

I have a good friend who is Indian, her wedding invite list was over 500 ppl, baby shower was 250 and 1st bday party will be about 120, but that is the norm for their culture/family/community.

well were not Indian, just a bunch of hispanics that look for a reason to have a giant party...lol. I think that its getting a little outt hand with the guests but when you think about it, his family and friends, my family and friends, my fathers family and friends and then mutual friends that they all have in common....i starts to add up. 

But I see so many posts on different subjects  about being "traditionally correct" or going by what "etiquette" says that I think it makes us look crazy, or as some would put it on here, "ghetto":. But I saw if it makes you happy then go for it. 

Big Smile 

• Options
    I totally don't think it sounds crazy. It's rarely heard of, but it definitely happens. What can you do when you already have a huge family and on top of it have an extra branch to the family (such as your father's long time GF). Add to the guestlist, your friends, your friend/coworkers and the fact that it is co-ed and includes children, the number is completely reasonable. My mother has 6 siblings and my father has 7 siblings. Just inviting the family members who are local and their adult children, and a dozen friends, my guestlist is already over 50. If I did a co-ed shower like you did, I'd be at over 100, and we're not inviting children. I'm sure you're as used to having big family get togethers as I am so don't sweat it and just have a good time :-)
  • Options
    OMG that's a lot!
  • Options
    Where I'm from, baby showers (and bridal showers) are intimate events of 15-30 people usually. I don't think it's wrong to invite more, but I'd personally be really weirded out if I showed up and saw 140 people at any kind of shower. I'd feel like they invited me (or some of the people) just to get a gift - BUT if that's not how it works in your family and circle of friends, enjoy your big shower!
  • Options
    It does get kind of over whelming, believe me. But we tried to narrow down the list and every way we've tried, it doesnt work. Since all sides of our families are in the "same circle" word gets out if we dont invite some one. Its happened before where people that we didnt invite got offended. I love having a big family and so many close friends, but , man, can it be a hassle!
  • Options

imageBabyReyna:
    It does get kind of over whelming, believe me. But we tried to narrow down the list and every way we've tried, it doesnt work. Since all sides of our families are in the "same circle" word gets out if we dont invite some one. Its happened before where people that we didnt invite got offended. I love having a big family and so many close friends, but , man, can it be a hassle!

I wouldn't worry about it at all, sounds like everyone will be totally into it! Etiquette schmetiquette. Have fun!

• Options
    Well, that's 2.5 times more people than I had at my wedding, so yeah, I consider that a bit excessive. I mean, if it works for all of you that's great, but as a guest, I'd feel like I was in the middle of a circus. And sitting there for that present opening would suck big time. Not to mention the shower itself will run twice as long as most, which might turn off people who don't know a lot of the other guests.?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

• Options

If you think about it - if you tried to knock down the list then those who werent invited would be left out, so I say go for it!

I just got ripped a new one for asking whether it was proper to have a shower for my second baby, especially if it's twins!

• Options

Etiquette doesn't dictate the SIZE of a guest list.  It implores that you are able to provide proper refreshment for each guest.  "Proper" refreshment depends on time of day and what type of party you are hosting.

If you are inviting 150 people and making it a potluck with a cash bar then you are in trouble.  If you are comfortably hosting that many people and all other behaviors are gracious, then congrats on such a large family and many loving friends!  We should all be so lucky!

• Options
    I definitely want to see pics of this bodacious baby shower after! lol. I'm hispanic too, so I can relate. That sounds like fun! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ummm...friends of your parents?  That sounds like guests at a wedding reception to me...not a shower that is supposed to be YOUR friends.  I would say break it down (your side/DH's side).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"