Baby Names

Three Names?

Hey ya'll,

I'm not one to try to be over the top, but initially DH and I were going to name a boy Sean Michael Patrick; Sean after DH, Michael after my father, and Patrick after my grandpa who died of cancer 5 years ago.

Now, the reason to do three names to begin with was because I wanted to give a boy DH's name, and he didn't want to call him Sean. So we were going to use the three names, and call him Michael, but he would still have the Sean there.

Now DH is fine with calling a boy Sean, so I thought we should trim down and use two names (especially b/c I love the name Aaden Michael should we ever have another boy), but he wants to stick with three.

What do you all think? I'm torn. I would be fine with the three names, but I admit I'm worried people will think I'm being dumb. =

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Three Names?

• I have three names - first, middle (which I go by), family middle, and last. ?No one thinks my parents or I are being dumb. ?If it feels right, go for it.
  • Family middle? I'm intrigued. Is this a tradition thing with your family?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm planning on three names for my girl's names, and then our last name is also a common first name, so the girls will have four first names.  I don't think it's too weird.  Since technically two of them are middle names if they ever want to drop one they can just stop using it and no one will know the difference.
  • I think 3 names is too much, especially since you'd like to save one for another baby.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • It's not dumb. People might not always know or say all three names but they mean something to you and you should do it. I have two middle names- one from each grandmother- and I cherish them. No, my whole name won't fit on every single form but I use the whole name when it counts. And I always use both initials.

I think it's great for a boy, specifically. My only issue was when I got married. I didn't really want to drop my last name. But keeping it and adding my married name would have made my name TOO long. Dropping one of my middle names was not an option- how could I pick one grandma over the other? So, I dropped my maiden name.... which is why I'm so desperate/determined to use it now for my son. :)

A boy won't have this problem. :)

• Sean Michael Patrick?  A very nice Irish name!  Yes
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My male cousin has three names + last name.  He goes by the first one.

Now, I went to school with a girl who had NINE middle names.  That might be a little much.  Wink

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• iluvtomiluvtom member
    I tend to disagree I think a fn,mn, and ln is enough but if you feel strongly the go for it, I always remember we are the parents and do what we feel fit for a name.
  • imagepurple_posies:
    Family middle? I'm intrigued. Is this a tradition thing with your family?

Yes.  Most of us have a family surname as a middle name.  For some that's their only middle name.  I also have a middle name my parents just liked.  My family middle is the same as my mom and my grandfather.  It was his mother's (my great-grandmother) maiden name.  I love how it ties us together.  I'll be keeping the tradition, and since I love names, my children will probably all have three given names as well.

• imagethatgirlang:
    My only issue was when I got married. I didn't really want to drop my last name. But keeping it and adding my married name would have made my name TOO long. Dropping one of my middle names was not an option- how could I pick one grandma over the other? So, I dropped my maiden name.... which is why I'm so desperate/determined to use it now for my son. :)

Interesting!  I hope you do use it for your son.

I just kept my maiden name - didn't legally change to my husband's, although I don't mind being referred to as "Mrs. Whatever".

• Ang, thanks for your input! That's really neat you're using your maiden name for your son! I wonder if mine goes .... lol.

As a PP stated, one of my dilemmas, aside from the three-name thing, is that what if I am blessed with another boy ... then Michael's already taken by the older brother and I can't use Aaden Michael. But ... who knows if I'm going to have another boy, and then I don't get to use it at all unless I make it Michaela for a girl.

Oh decisions, decisions!!

• I would never say it's dumb.  I think that since you plan on calling the kid Michael, I don't really see the point of naming the kid after your DH unless he really wants that or unless you love the name.  We are actually considering a 3 name approach b/c we can't agree on anything!
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with using three names, and I think they flow well together.
  • dpdwdpdw member

Sean Michael Patrick is a great name!  I wouldn't hold on to the name Michael for future kids b/c you just never know what the future will bring.  IMO when you have the chance to honor someone important to you, you take it.

We also gave DS 3 names: First, Middle #1, Middle #2, and Last.

Middle #1 is a name that's common in both our families -- it was my grandfather & DH's great-grandfather.  Middle #2 is my MIL's maiden name, which is also a semi-common first name -- she has no brothers so her line of the family name technically ends with her & her sisters.  We did it to keep the family name going. 

All 4 names are on his SS card & passport.  If we have to fill out a form I'll put both middle names unless space doesn't permit & then I'll just put the 1st middle name. 

• I don't think it's too much.  I gave my daughter three names.  It happened because we decided to include her in the naming process.  We had picked out "Rayne" for her middle name well-before we even knew we were having a girl and then compiled a list of possible first names to take with us to the hospital and decide which one she looked more like to us when we saw her.  After she arrived, we both kind of thought she looked like a "Katarina" but we weren't sure, so I held the list up in front of her and told her to pick.  She flailed her arms a bit and her fist landed on "Arianna".  So we decided to name her Katarina Arianna Rayne.  The first two make up her first name and the third is her middle, then her last name follows.  I don't think it's too much and plus I think it's a cute story to tell her when she gets older.
  • I have 3 names. A two worded first name (Mary Anna) and a middle name (Elise).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"