Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

can't stand our dog since DS came along

Im always yelling at her and getting annoyed with her and I feel horrible about it! I know I should be thankful that she is a good dog and very patient with DS who pretty much tortures her on a daily basis now. I don't want her to go away in a bad kind of way, but kind of wish that another nice family would knock on our door and ask to take good care of her for us haha Wishful thinking!?

?

Re: can't stand our dog since DS came along

• I understand where you are coming from.  Our dog was our baby for a couple years before DD was born and he was used to that.  Ever since we brought her home from the hospital, he is a bit jealous that he does not get as much attention.  I try to give him extra cuddles during naptime and after DD has gone to bed.  I too find myself getting frustrated by his antics easier than before DD.  I just have to tell myself to take a deep breath and remember he doesn't understand why he cannot have the same attention as before.
    DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • I could have written this post! Except I have 2 dogs. Our male is driving me up the wall. He's become very whiny, whenever we put them in their crate he cries and cries and won't shut his yap! But I worry about giving away or having someone adopt him because of the economy, I would hate to think he's not being taken care of. DS definitely chases them both, poor dogs, they never asked for that! Oh well.
    CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

M/C 1/6/10
  • Loading the player...
  • I can see were you're coming from because my dog is very spoiled. She was totally my baby until DS came along (when she was 7 months) and she still acts like it. We all call her "Miss Thang" because she is such a prima dona. But I just keep trying to walk the tight rope of keeping DH happy and keeping my dog as part of the family (since she pitches fits everyday about not getting enough attention).
  • I have a similar problem but with my MIL's dogs!  Before DS I liked her dogs, but now they constantly annoy me everytime that we go over there.  There's really nothing wrong with the dogs, but MIL treats them like people, and for some reason that really annoys me now. Plus, they chew on/eat everything, so everytime we go over there we have to babygate them away from whatever room we're in then make sure that everything of ours is up where they can't reach it.  Since we stay at their house for the weekend pretty often, it can really be a PITA.

• My DH never really cared for my dog.  I got it when I was dating a guy that I was eventually engaged to...and then when I called that off, I got stuck with the dog!  I am not an animal person anyway, so I always struggled with her.  She was a good dog, but like you said, things she did turned a bit more disturbing after DS was born.  We did what was right for our family and gave her to a new family.  It was a hard decision, but the money has been super tight around here since DH's company is not giving raises, bonuses, etc.  It's just plain tough.  Good luck to you!  I will say that a house without a dog is very nice...but it was very nice to have someone clean up after DS eats!
  • I would love to be in your situation right now.  We're currently working with a trainer to help my dogs feel more comfortable around DS.  I SO wish we had dogs that are very patient and tolerant.  If she's a good dog, why are you annoyed with her all the time?
  • I get annoyed with them too, but at least I have two dogs, so they keep each other company and that's nice.  Plus I love that they let DD beat up on them and try to grab their tails at the same time.  She runs around and gives them hugs.  They're the closest things to siblings she has at this time.  I pretty much only love them now because DD does.  They've fallen way down on the totem pole in this house. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"